Hunger

Options
2»

Replies

• PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yea you probably need more calories. Also, I try to find different combinations of food that keep me full for the longest. For instance, I find that combinations of eggs and avocado keeps me full for at least four hours. Oatmeal only for a couple. Try adding more protien in your diet. ;)
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I do animal husbandry for a living. I log 10k steps very easily before noon on most days. This is about 5 hours of work. So it is really possible that you are not eating enough. I know I would never be able to function on 1300. I get light headed, headaches and can't focus or think clearly unless I hit a minimum of 1900.
    Do you have your activity level set to sedentary? I think you should consider setting it to lightly active or active. If your body is giving you such extreme warnings of being hungry you should not ignore them. Maybe invest in a fitbit so you can track your actual activity and find a more accurate calorie goal.

I do have a lot of those symptoms. Okay I will look up a fitbit.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    You guys have all given me good stuff to look at.
    I will start getting more nutrient dense food to replace fine of my junk. And work on getting more protein in.
    I know 1200 calories won't work with the outdoor projects due this week. ;)

I do have a lot of allergies @Jasmunr but they are all food related. Are you saying that allergies could affect my hunger or weight loss? I never thought of that, but will look it up too.

• fr3smyl
    Options
    Okay, I think the activity level idea might be right. Yesterday I did hardly anything outside and eating 1200 calories was no problem. I wasn't hungry, no headaches, or anything.

So I may have been underestimating what that takes out of me, or at least the nutrition I need on those days. I will play with that.
    Thank you all for your help. ;)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low. A lot of people on these forums say it's TOO low and unnecessary. You could adjust slightly to lose less weight each week and have more calories to work with (even, or especially, on non-active days.) Personally, I could not do 1200 without going stark raving mad.

Know that you have a couple other options! Wishing you much success.
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that your diary shows some very high calorie foods that are taking away from your daily count but like not keeping you feeling full. For example, the other day you logged 1 slice of fried bacon for 240 calories. You're definitely going to feel hungry after eating just 1 piece of bacon, as opposed to a bowl of whole grain cereal with fruit for the same # of calories. Just a thought!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Looks like you don't have much weight to lose. I would add more calories if I were you. Headaches and feeling miserable don't need to be part of this journey.

Oh, I have 60 pound to lose. I thought we were supposed to reset our goal every ten pounds. I started at 188 pounds and more I'm at 177 pounds. My goal weight is 128lbs, though.

Just for clarity: You stated you have been doing MFP for 3 weeks. Here you said you started at 188 and are now at 177. That is 11 pounds! I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you must have started losing weight BEFORE starting MFP. Because if you didn't, you are losing way more than 1 pound per week and clearly aren't taking in enough calories to fuel your activity and sustain a slow weight loss.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    emily2975 wrote: »
    I also noticed that your diary shows some very high calorie foods that are taking away from your daily count but like not keeping you feeling full. For example, the other day you logged 1 slice of fried bacon for 240 calories. You're definitely going to feel hungry after eating just 1 piece of bacon, as opposed to a bowl of whole grain cereal with fruit for the same # of calories. Just a thought!

How is 1 slice of bacon 240 calories? I thought 2 slices are about 70-80 calories...
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Everyone's given great advice. For me, I find that high volume (like veggies), high protein and healthy fats help keep me full. So, a salad on a big pile of greens with tuna and avocado dressed with lime and spices will keep me feeling full on less than 200 calories, whereas the same calories in chips or bread won't put a dent in my hunger.

Play around and see what food combos work best for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First, it's supposed to be 1200 plus exercise calories.. you should eat back at least some of them. I'm 5'5" and 37 and never ate under 1650 calories total.
    Second, if you're hungry, decrease your deficit. I never went over 'losing 1 pound a week'.
    Third, log properly, it seems you're using a lot of generic/unprecise entries
    Fourth, eat more protein, good fats, less carbs, and more fiber

• fr3smyl
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    Looks like you don't have much weight to lose. I would add more calories if I were you. Headaches and feeling miserable don't need to be part of this journey.

Oh, I have 60 pound to lose. I thought we were supposed to reset our goal every ten pounds. I started at 188 pounds and more I'm at 177 pounds. My goal weight is 128lbs, though.

Just for clarity: You stated you have been doing MFP for 3 weeks. Here you said you started at 188 and are now at 177. That is 11 pounds! I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you must have started losing weight BEFORE starting MFP. Because if you didn't, you are losing way more than 1 pound per week and clearly aren't taking in enough calories to fuel your activity and sustain a slow weight loss.

No I started losing weight only after joining MFP.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    emily2975 wrote: »

I have a lot of food allergies : wheat, soy, eggs, dairy, and my system doesn't digest others like chicken, lentils, and beef. The doctors say nuts as well but...I just take allergy medicine of in not sure of the ingredients.

I always combine the bacon with a smoothie of 200 cals (not blended together with bacon though). The bacon is a around 80 calories each I usually have 2-3 pieces.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    First, it's supposed to be 1200 plus exercise calories.. you should eat back at least some of them. I'm 5'5" and 37 and never ate under 1650 calories total.
    Second, if you're hungry, decrease your deficit. I never went over 'losing 1 pound a week'.
    Third, log properly, it seems you're using a lot of generic/unprecise entries
    Fourth, eat more protein, good fats, less carbs, and more fiber
    I was already set at 1 pound a week at 1200cals.
    I had raised it to 1250/day for .5lbs/week, but that only lasted for a week.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »

No I started losing weight only after joining MFP.

But all except 3 pounds was within the first week so I'm guessing it's water weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For my deficit:
    I can lose 1 pound a week if I stick to 1300
    To lose 1.5 pounds a week if I stick to 1200

Are you down as active based on the work you do outside, or at least lightly active? If you have a higher goal that's easier to meet it would probably result in more consistent losses than too low a goal where you end up going well over a lot of the time.

I'd increase the goal/adjust for activity and then take careful notes for a few days of how you feel, when you are hungry, when you have headaches, so on and see if you can find patterns.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    No I started losing weight only after joining MFP.[/quote]

But all except 3 pounds was within the first week so I'm guessing it's water weight.[/quote]

Ok. Simple math says (throwing out the first week) you are currently losing at a rate of 1.5 per week. Your activity level is set wrong. If you are set at 1 pound per week, but you're losing 1.5, settings are off. You need more food. Eat filling, nutritionally dense food and a little more of it (calorie wise), and you should feel less hungry.

• fr3smyl
    Options
    I upped my daily calories to 1450 and plan on getting a fitbit. Thanks, all for your advice!