Interesting way to live and log

Options
First I'll say hello! I don't post here very often, but here goes. It's basically just a story of how I live with work and logging. I figured someone might find it interesting.

I work in the oilfield. 2 weeks on, 1 week off. On my weeks at work I take between 12-20k steps per day. On my weeks off it can be as low as 8000, up to 14k. I work about 110 hours per week, and can't really find time to work out after work.... Simply not enough time in the world. (This next hitch I will be attempting p90 twice per week to keep from getting sore "restarting" next days off).

So during my hitch, I set my profile to active, and lose .5 lbs per week. On weeks off I set to lightly active, still lose .5.

I have some kind of disorder when it comes to going "over" on calories. I usually have to keep myself where I have 2-400 calories remaining. Because of this, I might set myself to maintain, and will likely still eat less than maintenance.

Not sure if it's OCD to not go over, or the beginnings of an eating disorder. Lol.

Thanks for reading, have a nice day!

Replies

• tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It looks like it is working for you. Keep up the good work. My son works in the oilfield and lost 20 until there was on site catering then he gained 10 back. I need to get him to use MFP. He is also trying to lose about 40 pounds.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I log in a similar way. Even though I want to lose another 5-10 pounds, I have my goal set to maintenance and will manually keep my net deficit around 250 each day. I hate seeing the red numbers when I have to go over my goal to treat a low blood sugar (those red numbers make me feel like they're scolding me).
  • Byrekyla
    Byrekyla Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yea the oilfield isn't exactly what you see on TV! It can be physical. But for me it's really only physical when we rig up or down every 7-10 days or so. My amazing wife has been making me lunches, so I don't eat any gas station food any more. Other than maybe some beef jerky or a granola bar.

As far as setting to maintenance, that's awesome. I found that if I was too aggressive with calorie goals, I CHEAT! In a subverted effort to stay below my calorie goal. Just didn't work for me that way.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you consistently eat below goal by 200-400 and lose 1/2lb a week...your goal is probably close to maintenance.

• PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Me too! I feel like I'm in school and made an f on a test! >:)