exercise with oxygen?

Options
Does anyone else on oxygen exercise and how do you do it without getting tangled in tubing? Looking for ideas ...dr says exercise yet didnt explain how to not get tangled

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Some of our patients here use a mask that has tubes coming in on both sides of the mask, but converges to one tube behind the head. Even then, PT's that work with them here are constantly readjusting their oxygen supply so it's not in the way. Mostly seated exercises seem to be the best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Can you get a smaller portable tank that you wear on your back and walk? According to my PT (physical therapist, not personal trainer) walking is the best overall exercise for people who aren't physically fit or have impediments like oxygen tanks or injury.
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No at rhis time stage 14 i am fight with insurance to get that. As for walking i can walk about 6 minutes then have to stop ..i am trying yoga and doing chair exercises max time while sitting is 15 minutes at a time...
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Then walk the 6 minutes or work out the 15 and then stop! Anything you can do will be better than nothing! I agree that figuring out how to work out with your oxygen must be a challenge and I applaud you for putting in the effort to figure it out!
  • yhwhsesther
    Options
    My goal is to burn 17500 calories a week and loose 75 lbs...want to strengthen muscles and srengthen lungs to slow down copd...its hard to burn that many while sitting and walking only 6 minutes at a time..maybe just my thinking...or too big a goal right now...
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Would an exercise bike not work, or do you need something that can be done without equipment?
  • yhwhsesther
    Options
    No equipment... i dont have access to bike or any other equipment
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    My goal is to burn 17500 calories a week and loose 75 lbs...want to strengthen muscles and srengthen lungs to slow down copd...its hard to burn that many while sitting and walking only 6 minutes at a time..maybe just my thinking...or too big a goal right now...

Walk for 5 minutes, rest for 5 minutes, repeat. Or whatever balance works for you. After that starts to become easier, you can increase the walking time and decrease the resting time in small increments. Honestly, I know it doesn't sound like much, but runners often start with 30 seconds of running at a time. You build up endurance over time.

• yhwhsesther
    Options
    I will keep at it building endurance makes sence. Does it still burn calories as if done at one time?
  • yhwhsesther
    Options
    Stage14 wrote: »
    Can you get a smaller portable tank that you wear on your back and walk? According to my PT (physical therapist, not personal trainer) walking is the best overall exercise for people who aren't physically fit or have impediments like oxygen tanks or injury.

I got aproval for portable elec concentrator...when it arrives i can do more walking
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!

You can also sit on a chair and punch the hell out of the air - it sounds silly but it really gets your heart rate up, and it's great stress relief especially if you imagine your boss standing there!
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor about being referred to Pulmonary Rehab. That should not be an issue for your insurance.

PR will teach you how to exercise while using oxygen, how to handle your dyspnea, and even provide good information on your meds.

If you are a transplant candidate, losing weight and improving, or at least maintaining, your core strength is vital.

• yhwhsesther
    Options
    Im on state insurance so no pukmonary rehab ...i will continue the chair exercises and yoga...trying to add other exercise as well...
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Im on state insurance so no pukmonary rehab ...i will continue the chair exercises and yoga...trying to add other exercise as well...

Not sure where you're located but our Medicare/ Medicaid patients frequently get physician referrals to cardiac or pulmonary rehab. It's widely accepted treatment that would be worth asking for.
    To my knowledge, it is usually approved for several sessions.

We also use the 6 minute walk test for our HF patients- each day they walk as far as they can in 6 minutes and we keep track of how far they get. Our goal, obviously, is for them to be able to walk further each time. It's very motivating to be able to see measurable improvement each day. I'd recommend it. Set and achieve small goals, they definitely add up over time.
    You could look into getting the walker that has a hanger for your O2 tank and a built in seat in case you get really worn out. Kill two birds with one stone and you may be able to make it quite far with the extra security and help with the oxygen tank.
    You could also try the Sit and Be Fit videos. A lot of people really enjoy them.
  • Kelwelrt
    Kelwelrt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What SBRRepeat said! Walking is best. Make sure you keep your 02 sats up. Protect your heart!