Please Help... Please Read.

Options
13»

Replies

• Grabercj
    Grabercj Posts: 9
    Options
    You can do it! Dont give up!!!!! I dont have any answers for you, but i am in the same boat!
    Your health is worth the effort. Dont give up!
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Lots of great tips mentioned. One thing I feel went unaddressed. Lots of people mentioned sodium, but no one seemed to key in on the thing which is likely causing you to go over your sodium - after reviewing probably two weeks of your diary it looks like you are eating out quite a few meals, usually once a day. You're making great choices - Subway rather than McDonalds, for example. Unfortunately, restaurant foods are notoriously less healthful than food you prepare for yourself at home. Lots of lifestyles require grab-and-go meals, mine included. But do think about some options you might be able to make (maybe the night before) and take. This might increase your fruit/veggie intake? Lean protein intake? All of those healthful things that are important to add into a healthy lifestyle above and beyond just keeping it under a certain caloric goal. :)
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I disagree that it's simply a matter of semantics. If I say that muscle is denser than fat, then the poster would find his explanation for his weight remaining the same only if he also saw a reduction in his measurements. If I simply say muscle weighs more than fat, then a person is duped into believing that a weight stall could be due to muscle gain and stop looking any further into possible causes even though this is only a possible answer if the person also shows a decrease in his/her measurements.

That is what I maintain that saying muscle weighs more than fat is misleading and incorrect.
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    If you are performing weight lifting now, you are possibly seeing an increase in muscle growth which will appear as an increase on the scale. This is why watching the scale is not necessarily a good indicator of progress. Body fat % and body part measurements are a more accurate way of determining fat loss, which is really the goal (not weight loss). Don't stress over the scale. Follow your other measurements. How do your clothes fit? How do you look in the mirror? Keep going. Don't give up. You will get there.

I agree - it all depends on how you look in the mirror and how you feel in your clothes.
    Also speak to a professional trainer and see what they suggest - good luck !

x
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    One last one- Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. However, you may put on a pound of muscle, faster than you shed the pound of fat. They weigh the same- a pound is a pound. Muscle just grows a little quicker- especially when weight training.

Eat all of your calories (as close as you can) and eat back your exercise calories- obviously with healthy food. Watch the sodium, drink plenty of water. The weight will come off. I also reccomend measuring yourself- neck, chest, bicep, waist, hips, and thigh. And keep tracking them. You may notice no weigh loss, but a loss in inches which would indicate toning. Good luck!!!

come on man, muscle does weigh more than fat, because it is more dense. The more dense something is the earth's gravitational force makes it weigh more. The responder was not comparing 1 lb to 1lb, they were comparing muscle to fat. When comparing the weights of 2 different things, volume should be kept constant. If you are comparing volume, keep weight constant.

If you agree with your argument then you would also say the carrots and butter have the same calorie content because 100 cals of carrots have the same calories as 100 cals of butter. But they don't have the same calorie content as butter is more calorie dense than carrots, if you are comparing them properly (volume or same size serving)

In the world of physics, he's right. The force of gravity equals mass x the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2). Weight is another term for the force of gravity. The more mass an object has, the heavier it is. Ah, I love physics.

It does really bother me when people say a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat though. Lol. (Not that I think that was what the poster originally meant however.)