*vent* camping

Options

Replies

• vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can set a goal of one thing to cut out: beer or s'mores or BBQ...whatever. Just one thing. That may make cutting back seem easier. Also, I regularly buy turkey italian sausage from The Fresh Market (a gourmet kind of deli where I live). It's really tasty over a grill and more calorie-friendly than beef, too. I also like the idea of adding in some more physical activity. But it's hard, I know!
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates during the week. Weight on Friday's. I have noticed that I am up after a weekend but down right before. I am sure you are ok.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Light beer? Gasp! No way. Life's too short to drink light beer.

If you're spending a lot of time sitting around the campfire, try going for a hike, a swim or a kayak instead. Or go running around the campsite. You can look at camping trips as an opportunity for exercise.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I've never understood camping. I'm not going to work all year to pay my bills just so I can pretend to be homeless for a week when it's time to take a vacation.

I lol'd but I've never seen a bum out camping bro
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I've never understood camping. I'm not going to work all year to pay my bills just so I can pretend to be homeless for a week when it's time to take a vacation.

I lol'd but I've never seen a bum out camping bro

me too..do you realize how expensive camping gear is esp the good stuff you need in Canada...and some of us actually go to cottages...you know those little houses by lakes...and we call it "camping"
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    But isn't this just water? Is it even possible to gain 3 lbs of fat over a weekend of splurging?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Earn more calories through exercise. Also, try a little hiking during the camping?
  • suke28
    suke28 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Hahahahahah
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    teephil wrote: »
    But isn't this just water? Is it even possible to gain 3 lbs of fat over a weekend of splurging?

could be just water weight and no 3lbs in a couple days...probably unlikely but...she is maintaining right now...up 3 over the weekend...down 3 through the week...rinse repeat...

so basically eating at maintenance over the long term.

• Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of natural fluctuations anyway, but for two weekends in a row I travelled to visit two of my siblings last month. (One is in Iowa, the other in St. Louis, they just both happen to be about 5-6hrs away from me!) I watched what I ate/drank calorie-wise, I exercised both days both weekends (one weekend we even did a charity 4mi trail run as a family) but both Saturdays were rather beer-heavy (none of that light beer, give me a porter or stout or go away!) :D

I weighed myself both Friday mornings before I left and I was at 201 (so freaking close!!) and after coming back, weighed myself both Monday mornings and was at 203+. I dropped it both times within a couple of days. I don't know if it was the travel (long time in the car!) or the alcohol, or even change of routine. I probably had increased sodium intake too. I don't really care much outside of just noting that it happened, but I found it interesting.

It will all come off eventually. I'll take a couple of extra temporary pounds to have a good time.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    kdz526 wrote: »
    ah s'mores...the basic smore is splitting a graham cracker in half, roasting a marshmello on the open fire, and when its to its gooey goodness done, putting it on one half of a cracker, top it with a piece of chocolate, then put the other cracker on top. My family likes to tweek the classic by using peanut butter cups for the chocolate, or chocolate squares with caramel in the middle. We also like to use shortbread cookies with the fudge stripes and solid fudge on the back for the top and bottom instead of crackers and chocolate (makes it easier to put together).
    I do need to drink more water when I am out camping. Hubby tends to take the kids off treking thru the wilderness while i sit and read a book and mind the dog.

Well, there you go!! Instead of staying sitting, go hiking with your family. Be more active!! :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Lol!

Camping isn't my thing either. But you don't HAVE to have 3 beers and 3 s'mores.
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What if you went by weekly calories during camping season? So like if your calorie goal is 1600 just make it 1500 Monday to Friday then you have an extra 500 for the weekend. Add that to a couple hikes and you should be able to fit in beers and s'mores easily! Enjoy your summer :)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I might just have to break my s'mores virginity :p
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I'm weird in that I really only like the toasted marshmallow. I can take or leave chocolate most of the time unless I am very hungry and that's all that's around - and the same with graham crackers. I don't hate 'em, but don't love 'em enough to spend the calories on them. I could put away half a bag of toasted marshmallows though.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wooo..only up a pound and a half after this last camping weekend. Maybe I'll figure it out one of these times :smiley:
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates during the week. Weight on Friday's. I have noticed that I am up after a weekend but down right before. I am sure you are ok.

This. I'm always up several pounds on Monday, and then my lowest weigh ins are usually on Fridays. OP-we're big campers and I don't have an issue with my weight, because I'm still in control of what foods I eat/what I drink. I already know ahead of time what I'll be eating for the weekend and I keep an eye on portion sizes. Nothing wrong with Smores etc, just fit them into your calorie goals and enjoy :)
  • Magenta529
    Magenta529 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

HA!! You made me literally laugh out loud
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too. Sometimes the camping is for vacation and sometimes it's for work, but even with all the setting up camp, hiking and squirrel food (if it's for work), I never manage to lose weight. I've heard others make similar comments about not losing weight on these trips, and we were hiking for hours (5-12/day) over pretty rough terrain, but most of it wasn't heart pumping cardio. Late night beers, marshmallows, and high fat foods tend to be ingrained in both work and vacation camping trips. I'm guessing the extra cardio is going to be the difference in losing weight on camping trips.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    kdz526 wrote: »
    We go camping alot in the summer and for the last 2 weekends have gone and will be going for several more weekends in the next few weeks. Every week I get down to just below 160, then on monday after camping, have poped back up to 162 or 163. By the end of the week, I am back down again but ugh. Its frustrating, I do try to save up calories over the week so i don't go over for my weekend, but end up going over by several 100 calories. The beer, smores and all the tasty bbq just do me in. I do fix veggies and load up on those instead of chips, but never fails. Its frustrating! I just need to avoid the smores (i don't do them the first night, but the second night I partake)...but the beer...camping and beer just go together!!

I really don't think you're gaining several pounds in one weekend and then losing them the following week. That would be a huge amount of extra calories, and again a huge deficit over a short amount of time. Just sounds like the alcohol, sugar, and sodium all contribute to bloating and normal fluctuation. I agree with a previous poster-stop weighing on Monday! Weigh on Fridays.

And yes, as others said, take advantage of the site and walk/hike/bike, etc a lot to earn those smores. Maybe pick two splurges instead of all of them (this weekend just beer and chips, next weekend just smores and bbq). You could try alternating beer with diet soda. I'm not advocating drinking soda on a regular basis, but once in a while instead of beer as a calorie free alternative may help.