Replies

• lauraweres
    lauraweres Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    zlJTujsoVD
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Again, burning 1000 calories is not that hard if you work at a high intensity, non stop. I work as hard as I can. I'm not talking standing on the elliptical for an hour at a lower level while chit chatting with your friend next to you. If you are working hard enough you couldn't hold a conversation. You can tell at the gym who is pushing it to the limits vs the once just barley breaking a sweat. 1 hour on the elliptical for me at a high intensity burns 600- 650 calories, A treadmill run burns anywhere from 700 to 800 for an hour.
    I even underestimate my weight at the treadmill by as much as 20 pounds and I round down the final calorie burn to the nearest 100.

The average calories burned for running for a 150 lb person is about 100 calories a mile. At an average pace of a 10 minute mile, that's 6 mph, and 600 calories.
    The elliptical is about half the MET of running.

1000 calories isn't impossible. But it isn't easy and take some time.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Again, burning 1000 calories is not that hard if you work at a high intensity, non stop. I work as hard as I can. I'm not talking standing on the elliptical for an hour at a lower level while chit chatting with your friend next to you. If you are working hard enough you couldn't hold a conversation. You can tell at the gym who is pushing it to the limits vs the once just barley breaking a sweat. 1 hour on the elliptical for me at a high intensity burns 600- 650 calories, A treadmill run burns anywhere from 700 to 800 for an hour.
    I even underestimate my weight at the treadmill by as much as 20 pounds and I round down the final calorie burn to the nearest 100.

You might notice as you lose more weight that sweating won't happen as much. Sweating doesn't really indicate anything other than hydration levels while working out.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Sorry but saying it's not hard is just making a sweeping statement which does n ot work because some of us are 300 lbs and some are 150 lbs. And about the sweating, I almost never ever sweat unless the AC isn't working.

I never said a 300 pound person can't work hard. It's all individual of course. If you push yourself as hard as you can, then you are working hard regardless how big or small you are. The key is to push yourself to the max.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Why 1000 calories burn in gym seems so strange to all of you?
    I burn 1000-1500 calories per day in cycling according my polar rc3

It's not strange. It just takes a long time to achieve it. Most people don't have that kind of time to spend working out.

For example, I'm 5'2 and 20 lbs over weight. It takes me over 3 hours of low grade hiking to hit 900 calories burned, and that's on a good day.

The average person doesn't have 3 hours to dedicate to exercise... every single day.

I can burn 1000 calories a day with the amount of walking around i have to do, to and from work and generally around. In fact, i burn that five days a week! It's not impossible :)

that would be your everyday burn not 1000 from exercise.

Nope, that is from exercise I can assure you-I wear a fitbit and it is pretty accurate. I really do do A LOT of walking around!

That is your lifestyle. That's your day to day living which factors in as NEAT in your TDEE equation. It will increase your TDEEA because your NEAT is higher than normal but it is not exercise. A carpenter or landscaper will burn more calories daily than a data entry clerk but neither one logs that time as exercise.

But I don't HAVE to walk everywhere. I could get a bus, or lifts from colleagues, but I choose not to because I tell myself I want the exercise. So, I still count it as exercise, because those days that I do accept a lift back from a meeting or home from work, it does make a noticeable difference to the amount of calories I burn.

I park in the back of a parking lot to walk more to store. Should I log that as exercise?

Oh, I'm not talking about logging 2 minute walks or anything daft; 45 minutes to walk to work, 30 minutes from one site to another for a meeting, 30 minutes back, 45 minutes to walk home from work, 40 minutes to walk to my boyfriend's, 40 minutes back, 1 hour to walk to the pub....those things add up.

Wow you must live in a city of some sort. I guess technically this can be called exercise. Now if it is a month later and this is still like a daily schedule you follow you would know that your calorie burns would decrease right?

I live in a city and include that kind of thing in my daily activity level (I say lightly active to be safe, but I think it's why I was losing faster than the MFP rate for a while).

Why would the burns decrease--you mean from lost weight?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Of course. Sorry.

I was actually referring back to all those people doubting the OP 's 1000 calorie burn at the gym. Ok, so to me 1000 calories is very doable in 90 minutes. Many people seems to think it's not doable under 3 hours. They are assuming as well, because they base it of their own experience.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    A treadmill run burns anywhere from 700 to 800 for an hour.

I wouldn't trust the machine, and I would keep in mind it's gross, not net.

I run about 9-10 min miles in a typical hour long session and burn 600 or less.

I suppose if I ran at race speed for an hour it would be a little more (not 800 calories), but it's much more about bodyweight/miles covered than intensity.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Sorry but saying it's not hard is just making a sweeping statement which does not work because some of us are 300 lbs and some are 150 lbs. And about the sweating, I almost never ever sweat unless the AC isn't working.

^I'm not a sweaty person either.

I also have medical conditions that make a 3.4 mph walk on the treadmill with an incline on 3.5 working HARD. For now. It's been progress getting to this point, because I've started out with a cane. Also, when it comes to weights? I frequently have health setbacks and have to deload a LOT. It's still hard work.

You can't tell ANYTHING by looking.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Of course. Sorry.

I was actually referring back to all those people doubting the OP 's 1000 calorie burn at the gym. Ok, so to me 1000 calories is very doable in 90 minutes. Many people seems to think it's not doable under 3 hours. They are assuming as well, because they base it of their own experience.

For me it's the equivalent of running 11 miles. Yes, I am skeptical that someone is doing the equivalent of running 11 miles in the gym every day.

However, if he is, he probably should eat more!
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's not strange. It just takes a long time to achieve it. Most people don't have that kind of time to spend working out.

For example, I'm 5'2 and 20 lbs over weight. It takes me over 3 hours of low grade hiking to hit 900 calories burned, and that's on a good day.

The average person doesn't have 3 hours to dedicate to exercise... every single day.

I can burn 1000 calories a day with the amount of walking around i have to do, to and from work and generally around. In fact, i burn that five days a week! It's not impossible :)

Nope, that is from exercise I can assure you-I wear a fitbit and it is pretty accurate. I really do do A LOT of walking around!

That is your lifestyle. That's your day to day living which factors in as NEAT in your TDEE equation. It will increase your TDEEA because your NEAT is higher than normal but it is not exercise. A carpenter or landscaper will burn more calories daily than a data entry clerk but neither one logs that time as exercise.

But I don't HAVE to walk everywhere. I could get a bus, or lifts from colleagues, but I choose not to because I tell myself I want the exercise. So, I still count it as exercise, because those days that I do accept a lift back from a meeting or home from work, it does make a noticeable difference to the amount of calories I burn.

I park in the back of a parking lot to walk more to store. Should I log that as exercise?

Oh, I'm not talking about logging 2 minute walks or anything daft; 45 minutes to walk to work, 30 minutes from one site to another for a meeting, 30 minutes back, 45 minutes to walk home from work, 40 minutes to walk to my boyfriend's, 40 minutes back, 1 hour to walk to the pub....those things add up.

Wow you must live in a city of some sort. I guess technically this can be called exercise. Now if it is a month later and this is still like a daily schedule you follow you would know that your calorie burns would decrease right?

I live in a city and include that kind of thing in my daily activity level (I say lightly active to be safe, but I think it's why I was losing faster than the MFP rate for a while).

That and your body get more efficient at what is does. SO if you walk same amount of distance everyday(assuming you use the same walking pace). Even if you were not losing weight the body gets used to that so the calorie burn would not be the same as day one to day 365.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I lost weight the completely wrong way and ate like 1500 calories while burning 700-1000 nearly every day. Worked fine assuming my organs aren't damaged...lol. I did lose a lot of lean mass though.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    segovm wrote: »
    segovm wrote: »
    LLduds wrote: »
    nv4sgteppckr.png

With exercise (again burn numbers coming from Fitbit Charge HR), I've been consistently below the MFP recommended net 1200 cal/day. The days that the columns appear blank are the days when I've ended up with a negative net caloric intake. I feel fine and have lost 22 lbs in 56 days; I'm 5'3" and currently 169 lbs. Should I be worried or changing something? Or as long as the majority of days I'm netting a positive, that's OK?

I guess that's the question. I did it. Feel dandy. Doctor loves the lowered weight. Not sure what the problem is except that some folks think "net calories" are relevant while others, myself included, don't.

The medical community does think it matters. It leads to lost lean body mass ... damage to organs ... loss of periods in women ... hair loss ... brittle nails ... loss of bone density ...

So honestly, can you find a SINGLE peer reviewed study that suggests any of that will happen when eating 2000 healthy calories a day?

YES.

Here's what happens at Ranger School, several times a year for the past half century or so.

Super fit dudes come in, they eat 2200 calories a day, strictly and completely controlled. They generate massive daily exercise burns. A couple of months later, the 50% that don't drop out from exhaustion have no body fat left and have stripped anywhere from 15-25 pounds of lean body mass.

They go in incredibly fit and come out weaker and sicker than they went in, and it typically takes from 3 months to 12 months to fully recover. Some never really do.

Bottom line: those of you claiming you're doing the impossible and not having symptoms - you aren't doing what you think you're doing. This isn't a guessing game, this is extremely well understood and extensively documented - large caloric deficits and hard exercise WILL (not might - WILL) wreak havoc on your lean body mass, from muscles on in to organs.

If you're not having symptoms, you're either not burning near as much as you think, or you're eating a lot more than you believe.

And that's the reality - large caloric deficits CAN be done safely, but not when coupled with high calorie burns and intense exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No, it's not at all healthy...nor is it at all realistic and/or sustainable long term. I get 1000 calorie burns here and there, but it is not sustainable to train like that day in and day out...it's just not.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Sorry but saying it's not hard is just making a sweeping statement which does n ot work because some of us are 300 lbs and some are 150 lbs. And about the sweating, I almost never ever sweat unless the AC isn't working.

I never said a 300 pound person can't work hard. It's all individual of course. If you push yourself as hard as you can, then you are working hard regardless how big or small you are. The key is to push yourself to the max.

Unfortunately, that definition of "working hard" does not correlate with calorie burn. Someone unfit can "work hard" and burn next to nothing, because the less fit you are, the less capable your body is of burning calories.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Unfortunately, that definition of "working hard" does not correlate with calorie burn. Someone unfit can "work hard" and burn next to nothing, because the less fit you are, the less capable your body is of burning calories.

Yup and the opposite is the leaner and in shape you are the better your body can burn calories.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That and your body get more efficient at what is does. SO if you walk same amount of distance everyday(assuming you use the same walking pace). Even if you were not losing weight the body gets used to that so the calorie burn would not be the same as day one to day 365.

Is this actually true? I used to think it was, but have since read it is a myth. I don't really know, but I am skeptical beyond a small amount of adjustment to new exercise/inefficiency which one would not experience with walking (as presumably that's a skill most people already have).
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Is this actually true? I used to think it was, but have since read it is a myth. I don't really know, but I am skeptical beyond a small amount of adjustment to new exercise/inefficiency which one would not experience with walking (as presumably that's a skill most people already have).

Well I am sure a long time HRM user might have better data that would show if it is true or not. Like I would make weight training an exercise but it not like cardio. We all know at some point in weight training if something is easier that it take less to do it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I lost weight the completely wrong way and ate like 1500 calories while burning 700-1000 nearly every day. Worked fine assuming my organs aren't damaged...lol. I did lose a lot of lean mass though.

I'm glad that you and Mr. Knight have brought this up.

In the thread about how even 100 lb women should be losing 2 lbs/week (or whatever it was called, I admit to editorializing), people kept asserting that as much as 1.5% of body weight was great and actually easier for athletes, since higher TDEE. I asked (and was ignored) what about the effect on LBM--presumably losing weight at a lower starting weight isn't that beneficial if you lose lots of extra LBM that you wouldn't lose at a slower rate. (Also, presumably it interferes with athletic performance, even if you are super tough and not a glutton and all that.)

I had thought that was a real effect (and it's somewhat supported by my own experience in that I lost more LBM than I liked when losing about 1-1.5 lb/week in the healthy range, even if while still quite a ways from my goal and while strength training). I lowered my goal based on that, but if I could lose faster with no negative results, obviously I'd be interested.

To be honest, I'm in a diet break now anyway, but I do find this interesting. At what point does loss of LBM become a concern?

If people have citations or opinions one way or another I'd love to be informed.