Solo hiking/camping

Options

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I regularly go on 6-10 mi short hops near where I used to live.

For most anywhere, overnight backcountry camping requires registration (sometimes, but not usually, a fee).

Always have a map. Better yet, a topo map. Even better: both. Know which blazes or cairns to follow. Something like RoadID is a good idea.

Must have:
    A good knife.
    A good water filter.
    A lighter and/or waterproof matches.
    A hat

Nice to have:
    A head lamp (Princeton Tec Remix is good value) + extra batteries
    A small journal and something to write with
    NSAIDs (asprin, naproxen ibuprofen)
    Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)*

*Benadryl does additional duty as a frontline antiemetic and, when taken with NSAIDs, eases muscle pain more effectively.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go on smaller hikes, or runs at a local park (that has a really bad name because crime has been happening there a lot lately.) I also have a tendency to go on night runs. I am just sure to always carry my phone on me. Before I leave I call a friend or family member and simply tell them my plans, where I'm going, and that I'll text/call when I return home. That way, if heaven forbid something did happen to me, my friends or family know that I didn't return, where I was planning to go, etc. Over all this concept has made me feel safer.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Follow_me wrote: »
    Carry a pistol

That's a possibility but I am not sure how necessary it would be. I keep one in my home but don't really feel the need to carry though.

• JenAndSome
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I regularly go on 6-10 mi short hops near where I used to live.

For most anywhere, overnight backcountry camping requires registration (sometimes, but not usually, a fee).

Always have a map. Better yet, a topo map. Even better: both. Know which blazes or cairns to follow. Something like RoadID is a good idea.

Must have:
    A good knife.
    A good water filter.
    A lighter and/or waterproof matches.
    A hat

Nice to have:
    A head lamp (Princeton Tec Remix is good value) + extra batteries
    A small journal and something to write with
    NSAIDs (asprin, naproxen ibuprofen)
    Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)*

*Benadryl does additional duty as a frontline antiemetic and, when taken with NSAIDs, eases muscle pain more effectively.

Thank you. Very good suggestions. I would have never even thought about Benadryl.

• JenAndSome
    Options
    jchite84 wrote: »
    I've done this a few times, never had any problems. Know your limits - ie how far you can hike in and out. Bring ample supplies including some emergency electrolyte powder, and some sugary snacks for use in the event that you bonk. Wear convertible clothes in case you need to lose or add a layer for weather. Make a firm plan and be sure to check in with the park rangers about the length of your stay, more or less where you intend on staying, and which trails you intend to use to get there.

EDIT/ADDITION: Android and iPhone both have GPS beacon apps. I'd definitely get one, and let the rangers know you have it. If something happens and they need to find you, they will appreciate it.

Thanks. I will look into beacon apps.

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    A day hike wouldn't be a problem. Pack as if you are staying overnight (extra food, water, warm clothing, etc).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    Follow_me wrote: »
    Carry a pistol

That's a possibility but I am not sure how necessary it would be. I keep one in my home but don't really feel the need to carry though.

If hiking in city, state or national parks be sure to check regulations before packing a pistol. Unlocked firearms are often prohibited.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    There seem to be 2 camps here: 1 that is giving advice regarding wilderness preparedness and 1 giving advice regarding crime prevention. It's interesting to see the trends about people's priorities. I guess I'm used to more remote/bigger wilderness where it would be hard for me to imagine coming across another person, let alone a person intent on hurting me while backpacking/hiking.
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    There seem to be 2 camps here: 1 that is giving advice regarding wilderness preparedness and 1 giving advice regarding crime prevention. It's interesting to see the trends about people's priorities. I guess I'm used to more remote/bigger wilderness where it would be hard for me to imagine coming across another person, let alone a person intent on hurting me while backpacking/hiking.

Your area is probably much more remote than anywhere I will be anytime soon. I hope I don't see a lot of people since that is the point of the trip, but I know I am not ready to be in the complete wilderness just yet. Taking a little bit of both sides of the advice seems like a good idea to me. I'm really more concerned about being attacked by coyotes than people at this point, though. Still seems like a minimal risk either way.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Even day trips are an issue.

If you aren't used to being in the mountains ish can go down hill REALLY quickly. My friend just completed the Alto Leob trail in NC- says experienced hikers 2 days- but 3 preferably- they are all fracking nuts- and did it one day.

And they had several people go down (it was an event with check points etc etc) and she herself (who is an experienced rucker) was really concerned about being out there by herself after dark- and they got some folks rounded up to finish the last 7 miles with the small group.

I spent several afternoons on horseback as a child in CA looking for lost hikers on the PCT- only going out for "day trips' got lost and couldn't get their way back to anything remotely close to civilization. Be prepared- have the right clothes- start with small trips- go with experienced people- do research on real hiking forums/books etc. read peoples experiences- see what obstacles they had- how they overcame them and what they did about it mentally/physically.

but start small- day hikes in local parks/camps is wise. never trust your phone. have water- an actual map- have enough water- bug spray- sun screen- water- a pocket knife- water- water proof your phone/map.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm used to more remote/bigger wilderness where it would be hard for me to imagine coming across another person, let alone a person intent on hurting me while backpacking/hiking.

Honestly, this is also a function of gender. Even in remote areas, it's always a concern for me and most women I know.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I've done this a few times, never had any problems. Know your limits - ie how far you can hike in and out. Bring ample supplies including some emergency electrolyte powder, and some sugary snacks for use in the event that you bonk. Wear convertible clothes in case you need to lose or add a layer for weather. Make a firm plan and be sure to check in with the park rangers about the length of your stay, more or less where you intend on staying, and which trails you intend to use to get there.

EDIT/ADDITION: Android and iPhone both have GPS beacon apps. I'd definitely get one, and let the rangers know you have it. If something happens and they need to find you, they will appreciate it.

Thanks. I will look into beacon apps.

Road ID has recently rolled out an app.
    It tracks your location by GPS once you've started an activity and it sends a link to specified contacts.
    It also alerts specified contacts if you stay stationary for too long.

Regardless of what app you get, I highly suggest a Road ID bracelet (or similar ID band) in case you go down - mountain, road, etc. Handy item to have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yeah, I live in New Mexico and we have a lot of un-populated and/or sparsely populated wilderness, desert, and mountains. Much of the state is without cell coverage unless you are in or around a city or town and right on the interstate...even some highways that crisscross the state have blackout areas.

I wouldn't be remotely worried about crime or other people, I'd be first and foremost worried about falling or injuring myself and nobody finding me for weeks or months or ever. Secondary concern for me would be wild animals, in particular bears, wolves, and coyotes. I've gone on week long hiking trips where I haven't seen a single soul other than my partner.

Also, for day stuff it's important to let people know where you're going and anticipated return. Just returned from a couple nights camping in my camper this weekend...the family and I and some buddies headed up this forest road we often camp off and it's usually fairly un-traveled...maybe see a couple cars drive by per day. My buddy brought up his dirt bike and took off. He didn't really say where he was going, but gave us an estimated time of return. I let about 30 minutes go past when he told me and hopped in the jeep. It had been snowing and whatnot so I could follow his tracks...sure enough, he had lost the bike in the mud and was attempting to hike back to camp...about 10 miles.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yeah, I live in New Mexico and we have a lot of un-populated and/or sparsely populated wilderness, desert, and mountains. Much of the state is without cell coverage unless you are in or around a city or town and right on the interstate...even some highways that crisscross the state have blackout areas.

I wouldn't be remotely worried about crime or other people, I'd be first and foremost worried about falling or injuring myself and nobody finding me for weeks or months or ever. Secondary concern for me would be wild animals, in particular bears, wolves, and coyotes. I've gone on week long hiking trips where I haven't seen a single soul other than my partner.

Also, for day stuff it's important to let people know where you're going and anticipated return. Just returned from a couple nights camping in my camper this weekend...the family and I and some buddies headed up this forest road we often camp off and it's usually fairly un-traveled...maybe see a couple cars drive by per day. My buddy brought up his dirt bike and took off. He didn't really say where he was going, but gave us an estimated time of return. I let about 30 minutes go past when he told me and hopped in the jeep. It had been snowing and whatnot so I could follow his tracks...sure enough, he had lost the bike in the mud and was attempting to hike back to camp...about 10 miles.

cosign

telling someone where you are going and how long you expect to be gone is CRITICAL.

I used to ride alone a lot- but I left a note- and or would leave a message with my parents cells/work.

• PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love solo hiking and backpacking. It's nice to be all alone out in the wilderness for a few days.

As others have said, make sure someone knows where you're going and when you're due back. Also make sure your gear and skills (navigation, staying dry, how to use your gear...) are up to snuff. You should be fine. People do get hurt in the backcountry, but not as often as you might think. Here in Colorado millions of people go hiking every year and only a few run into problems. Most of those can be avoided with proper planning and skills. You're probably in a lot more danger walking down the street alone than you are hiking alone.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am constantly surrounded by people and I really just want to be outside and be alone. Am I nuts?

Not nuts at all. This is the main reason my fiance & I hike. We have a dog, so sometimes (a lot of the time) our 'walks' end up being solo hikes. We've never done anything more than 5 miles, and I try to stick to trails I've been on before or that are in areas that get a lot of traffic.

I guess I am in the wilderness preparedness camp. (No pun intended.) We hike in North Jersey & the Hudson Valley, so sometimes our hikes are just in swaths of protected woodlands surrounded by neighborhoods (not exactly wilderness, but things can go wrong just as easily). I almost always bring a pack. In my opinion if I don't need a pack it's not a hike. :smile: It's equipped with safety essentials like a whistle, a pocket knife, lighters, and most importantly first aid- alcohol swabs, band aids, gauze and tape for big blow outs, ACE bandage- that kind of thing. I usually have dry socks in there too and pack extra layers based on the weather. I may not always bring food but there are usually HandleBars in my bag and a baggie of dog food.

Even when I do hike alone someone always knows where we are. I try to make sure my phone is charged and that I don't blow through battery taking photos. I have the Glympse app that would allow me to send my location to my fiance in a pinch.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Register at the trailhead or with family etc, be aware, be a prepared and smart outdoor adventurer, and if at all possible have a way to communicate. Cell phones do not work everywhere, but I personally do not skip going to places where they don't... In those cases maybe avoid totally deserted areas.

My favourite trips when I was younger were winter back country ski touring treks, solo, on New Years Eve. While most were getting drunk or whatever, is it skiing in pristine snow in the moonlight. Amazing memories.

I definitely identify.
  • Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Even if I am in the most remote parts of my state (WY), I ALWAYS carry a weapon (firearm) with me for those "what if" scenarios. Granted, I have not had to use one before outside of hunting, but I would rather have one and not need it than the other way around. If you were to carry a small pack, I would recommend a knife, a tarp, water filtration (iodine tabs, or a life straw), matches, mirror, rope, space blanket, compass, and some Clif Bars. If you get lost, just remember to STOP...Stop, Think, Observe, and Plan. Don't panic, and compose yourself before you make any rash decisions. If all else fails, find a water source and follow it downstream, you will find civilization eventually. I have spent A LOT of nights in the back country, and have been lucky enough to never get lost. If you are not comfortable with being off of the beaten path, I am sure there are some established hiking trails near where you live.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Feel free to go hiking and camping alone to your hearts content. That's what the experience is really supposed to be all about in the first place.

Things to keep in mind before you go, since you will need to be self sufficient the entire time. These are presented in no particular order. Though all of them are important to keep in mind at all times. This may be a long read. All these things have served me well as I always camp/hike alone.

1. Learn more than just basic First-Aid and pack a well equipped First-Aid Kit (another poster listed a small but useful part of that kit). Check with your local Red Cross for classes. You will need to be able to take care of more than just basic scrapes and cuts. Even on the easiest routes major injuries have occurred, I can attest to that as a Wilderness First Responder. The size and scope of your First-Aid Kit will vary in size depending on how long you plan to be out and away from civilization.
    2. Check and Track the weather for your intended route for several days in advance of your trip. Regardless of what the weather report says pack for the worst contingencies. Remember weathermen get paid very good money to be wrong more than they are right. Despite good weather reports I have been on routes that ended up being covered with snow the third day in and was glad I brought warm clothes with me. I have also been caught in torrential downpours that were not predicted. Some trails/routes are notorious for weather that changes without warning or create their own weather due to elevation and location.
    3. Ask your local Camping Store (Not a big chain store) if they have classes on map reading and land navigation. Learn to read a paper map, use a compass and a GPS device. Even on a simple day hike it is easy to get lost. Not every Local, State or National Park has easily identifiable or very well marked trails. You need to know how to get back to your vehicle should you find yourself off your intended trail.
    4. It sounds as if you are already doing this, but learn all you can about local wildlife in the area you intend to Hike/Camp. Prepare accordingly for all of them as best possible. Most large animals are easy, it is the smaller ones like reptiles and even plant life that can be difficult. Again, check with your local Camping Store for information or search the internet for the Wildlife indigenous to the area and study how to identify them, avoid them, protect yourself from them and treat yourself should you actually come into contact with them. This is especially important when it comes to Ticks. Always check yourself thoroughly for them and when you get back to civilization have a friend check you in places that are impossible for you to check on your own.
    5. Always take more food and water than you think you will need. If it is a day hike take at least 2 extra days of supplies. If going on multiple day trips it may not be possible to take enough water, so learn how to use/repair/maintain a water filter and bring it with you. Also learn what plants are edible in the area you intend to be.
    6. Plan your route and leave a copy with friends/family before you leave. Set an itinerary of where you expect to be and when, even for a day trip. Keep in mind that you will cover a mile on the trail at roughly half the pace you can walk that same mile in and around town. The more elevation loss/gain the trail has the slower your pace will be. Especially as you add the weight of a pack loaded with supplies. To help maintain a steady pace and prevent injury, especially on uneven terrain I would recommend a good pair of trekking poles.
    7. Learn how to make improvised shelters of various types for different weather conditions. Again, check with your local Camping Store. If they don't have a class on this they may know of a person that has good credentials to teach you those skills. Included in this training should also be methods for learning to trap/snare small animals for survival food. This should also include fishing without traditional gear.
    8. Learn how to start a fire without matches or a lighter. Just because you have a lighter or matches does not guarantee that they will work when you most need them. You can do this in your own backyard by doing some reading about the subject. Though having someone show you and then observe you until you are doing it right is a more effective measure.
    9. You already have firearm for self protection at home. Improve on that training by taking additional self-defense classes and getting in as much range time as you can. Supplement that with taking a hunters safety course so you understand what is required to take down a wild animal for both self-defense and for survival food. Not all Local, State and National Parks allow firearms while you are in their jurisdiction. Research the rules and regulations of each area you intend to go to make sure you are not breaking any laws. Also, take a self defense course from a reputable school that teaches you how to defend yourself without a firearm, pepper spray, knife or baton.
    10. Find a good all purpose knife. Learn how to sharpen it properly and most importantly keep with you at all times regardless of the length of hiking/camping trip you plan on taking. It will prove to be one of your most useful pieces of equipment in your kit.
    11. When it comes to gear such as tents, sleeping bags, cook stoves etc. You do not have to start our with most expensive gear out there. You also do not have to buy it all at once. Hiking and camping will eventually be a somewhat expensive hobby. In the beginning you can start with good used gear and replace it with better gear as you can afford it. Read reviews about any gear you are interested in adding to your kit. If someone is selling a piece of gear at to good of a price, odds are it is not the best gear to have. Other times it is because it is a much older model of the product and the owner wants to upgrade yet still get some return on their investment.
    12. When it comes to packs of any kind, day packs or large multi-day packs make fit and comfort one of your top priorities. Try on as many as you possibly can from as many makers as you can. Then buy the best one you can afford at the time. If your pack is not fit properly and is not comfortable you will soon abandon your pursuit of enjoying the outdoors.
    13. When it comes to multi-day trips it is best to do all cooking/cleaning (to include personal hygiene) and storing of food a good distance away from where you plan on sleeping, regardless if you are in bear country or not. Call ahead to talk to Park Rangers or Read the Parks Regulations online concerning food storage requirements for that park. You may have to rent bear resistant containers from the Park or a local store prior to being allowed into the back country. Parks that have a large bear population may even require you to take their on-site course for bear safety. Yellowstone and Denali National Parks just to name a couple examples.

Some of the best times I have had were sitting in the wilderness alone, surrounded by nothing but nature and my own thoughts. This may sound like a daunting list to learn, in some ways it is. You do not have to learn all of this at once. Though as you start to push yourself further away from civilization the more of this you will need to know in order to return safely to your friends and family. Good luck and enjoy nature as it was meant to be enjoyed. :smiley:
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I didn't see anywhere that you said your general area or location, so it's really hard to say anything but general advice.

I would suggest that you pack everything as if you were going to stay for a couple days. Then go one third in and set up camp, have lunch and a nap, then pack it up and hike out and home. That makes two thirds, with an extra third for a safety margin. Take note of things you took that were wasted weight and other things you wanted but didn't have.

Just the act of setting up camp can be a real eye opener. How long it takes and how long before sundown you want to be settled in.