Difference of Calories on package

Options
Bshmerlie
Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
When I look at the package of one pound of frozen shrimp it says the pound is only 300 calories. But when I look up on calorie count web sites it says a pound of shrimp is 481. Which is correct? I often find discrepancies but never by this much on such a simple item. 1 pound of Boiled shrimp should be a consistent item. What do you guys think.

Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    It depends on the brand, the store, the restaurant etc etc. Maybe this pound has added seasoning or oil and that pound has nothing added to it. All shrimp is not created equal. 1 ounce of chicken breast has less calories then one ounce of chicken thigh.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Go buy what is on the package for things you buy in a package as they are processed and tested for nutritional value. If you are just buying shrimp say from a market then use the value in the database.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I agree; double-check the name brand sometimes there is a big difference in the calorie/fat content from brand to brand.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Also one pound in the package is frozen and you haven't said if the one you looked up was boiled. fried, fresh etc
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    If you look up either boiled or raw shrimp its about 30 calories per ounce which would put it at 480 calories a pound. But the one pound package says 300 calories for the pound of boiled cocktail shrimp.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    If you look up either boiled or raw shrimp its about 30 calories per ounce which would put it at 480 calories a pound. But the one pound package says 300 calories for the pound of boiled cocktail shrimp.

Yes you said that in your original post I think
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Some less scrupulous providers will add water to their meat/fish to make it weigh more.

Other than that frozen/cooked/raw will also weigh differently (again, water content)
  • myfatass78
    edited May 2015
    Options
    However you were also discussing frozen shrimp as what you purchased
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Also, do the boiled shrimp mentioned at 480 calories have tails on or off and the same for what is in the package
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Go by the packaging of what you are buying.
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    Some less scrupulous providers will add water to their meat/fish to make it weigh more.

Other than that frozen/cooked/raw will also weigh differently (again, water content)

So maybe its not actually a pound of shrimp. Maybe the water frozen to them make them add up to a pound?

Hmmm.....I wish I would have weighed them after I thawed them out to find out how much they actually weigh.
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    I got these at Staterbros and their 1 pound package was the same size as the 12 oz package at Walmart. I just figured theirs was maybe fatter in the bag. But apparently not... its probably still only 12 oz of shrimp. :(
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

So maybe its not actually a pound of shrimp. Maybe the water frozen to them make them add up to a pound?

Hmmm.....I wish I would have weighed them after I thawed them out to find out how much they actually weigh.

You should weigh them in whatever state the nutritional info on the back says. It *should* say per 100g frozen or uncooked or whatever
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    OK I reviewed back at the last time I ate the 12 ounce package of frozen cooked shrimp from Walmart and it was 320 calories. Strange how the pound of frozen cooked shrimp from StaterBros is actually less in calories.