Tummy Issues

Options
Hey guys!

So, as you can see from my picture I am already sorta small so any weightless is apparent within one or two lbs...My issue is that seemingly without rhyme or reason I'll feel extremely sick (nausea and dizzy, sometimes to the point I have to sit down immediately) and that prevents me from eating even when I need to (by need it's sometimes a 'if you don't eat, you'll faint' scenario). I went to a GI doctor and they did a test for celiac which was negative. The next time I went back I had felt better (but I don't know if that was because I was basically eating granola bars and rice cakes) and they said I was healthy. But now it's come back. So what should I do? Also, does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it?

Replies

• jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try going for an allergy test. Or slowly take different foods out of your diet because it could be an intolerance. I'm lactose intolerant and thats how I feel when I have dairy.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You should go to your Dr, no-one can diagnose you better than they can. I hope they find the problem quickly x
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you eating sufficient calories each day? My first hunch is that you are not, based on the symptoms alone. Have you seen a regular doctor for a checkup recently?
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For example, take common allergins or intolerances out. Ex. Remove eggs for 2 weeks and note how you feel. Then slowly introduce it back in. Do that one at a time with foods you think may be causing it. Also eat normally for a day and keep a journal of how you feel on a hourly basis to pinpoint what you should cancel out first.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you eating sufficient calories each day? My first hunch is that you are not, based on the symptoms alone. Have you seen a regular doctor for a checkup recently?

I have and they basically said, if it was before meals I was hungry and if it was after, I ate too much. This makes no sense as it could happen (i'm hungry) and then I have a piece of bread and then keep happening (i ate too much)...so it just doesn't make sense. I'm eating anywhere from 1200-1600 calories a day
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    For example, take common allergins or intolerances out. Ex. Remove eggs for 2 weeks and note how you feel. Then slowly introduce it back in. Do that one at a time with foods you think may be causing it. Also eat normally for a day and keep a journal of how you feel on a hourly basis to pinpoint what you should cancel out first.

I'm not sure how to do this because I live mainly on carbs (breads and pasta) so there's not a whole lot of variety...
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you may be allergic to nuts or dairy! soy, even... keep removing things from your diet & reintroducing them, and see if you feel better or worse.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    If you are mainly eating breads and pasta, then you may not be getting enough protein. Are you not allowed to eat things like beans, corn, lentils?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    OK I have a weird suggestion....do you take vitamins? I can't take regular vitamins, they make me feel horrid about 5 mins after I take them. I have to eat gummy ones. Strange, I know.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Could be a multitude of reasons, really, and good suggestions have already been given. I am a small person as well and personally the quality of my food makes a huge difference. Granola and rice cakes would send me into hibernation like a bear. I'm not blaming or vilifying specific foods - just make sure you are getting all the nutrients your body needs.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Without knowing any other info, I would say you're not eating enough and/or not getting a balanced diet. I dealt with similar symptoms every time I would try to diet because I thought I had to starve myself to lose weight. Once it set in, I would still feel ill even after I ate and most of the time it was hard to eat feeling that sick anyways.

Now that I track my calories, don't skip meals, and balance my macros, I rarely get that sick feeling. Occasionally I have to skip a meal (stuff happens) and I end up feeling sick but I recognize it and try to get something in me as soon as possible. Carbs are great to immediately make me feel better but protein and fats keep me from crashing again. This is just my experience, I would say talk to a doctor and get a second opinion if your doctor is not helping.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Obviously chat up your Dr, but do you have low bp? This happens whenever I exercise without eating. My normally low bp can't handle it and "whump!" Down I go!

No idea why eating beforehand helps, but it does. Good luck!
  • Amber012014
    Amber012014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am not a doctor and it's not a one case scenario, so you will have to do a little exploring. But it may be a matter of choosing the right foods. But outside of that, years ago, I went through a time where I was close to passing out on a regular basis. (It would come on me all of a sudden, and I knew if I didn't sit down, I was going to faint, which was quite inconvenient because it happened at work a lot, on a job I had to be on my feet.) Then I found out I was borderline hypoglycemic. I confess I wasn't conscious about what food I was eating, at the time, just that I ate food. The doctors, based on testing, said I needed to treat myself as someone with hypoglycemia, (and also, if I didn't, it would potentially get worse) This means making sure you eat multiple small meals or good healthy snacks (make sure you get enough protein), or it would leave me feeling sick/ faint all of a sudden. A candy bar for a snack would next to drop me once it kicked in. Just a thought... But definitely you need to be looking at what you are eating and maybe see a dietician?
  • jemhh
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I have and they basically said, if it was before meals I was hungry and if it was after, I ate too much. This makes no sense as it could happen (i'm hungry) and then I have a piece of bread and then keep happening (i ate too much)...so it just doesn't make sense. I'm eating anywhere from 1200-1600 calories a day

What are your height, weight, activity level, and age?
  • try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm not sure how to do this because I live mainly on carbs (breads and pasta) so there's not a whole lot of variety...

Maybe it's scurvy or something. You should probably start consuming vegetables, meats, and fruits as well. Carbs alone are not enough.

It could be any number of nutrient deficiencies (iron, B12, vitamin D, etc)
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Obviously chat up your Dr, but do you have low bp? This happens whenever I exercise without eating. My normally low bp can't handle it and "whump!" Down I go!

No idea why eating beforehand helps, but it does. Good luck!

I was thinking perhaps low blood pressure too?
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    mabug01 wrote: »
    If you are mainly eating breads and pasta, then you may not be getting enough protein. Are you not allowed to eat things like beans, corn, lentils?

I don't like most of those things...
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    OK I have a weird suggestion....do you take vitamins? I can't take regular vitamins, they make me feel horrid about 5 mins after I take them. I have to eat gummy ones. Strange, I know.

I take gummy vitamins sporadically
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

I take gummy vitamins sporadically
  • jemhh
    Options
    Are you being treated for any type of eating disorder?