2 weeks of bad eating and now can't seem to get back on track!

Options
I started by weight loss journey in January and have been doing really well, I've currently lost 2 stone. My target is to lose another half stone.

The past 2 weeks I've been eating worse and binging a lot, it's actually got to the stage where I'm having more unhealthy days than healthy ones! (When I say unhealthy I mean super bad; crisps, chocolate, cake, ice cream...!) Each day I say 'yesterday was your naughty day, today we must be extra good' but I seem to still *kitten* it up! It feels like the need to be thin just isn't motivation for me anymore. Can anyone offer some support or help on how I can properly get back on track and ditch the bad eating again!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You lost two stone (no idea what that is in pounds and too lazy to look), you know what to do, get to it!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You lost two stone (no idea what that is in pounds and too lazy to look), you know what to do, get to it!

There is an echo in here! :)
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same. For me I really had to sit down and figure out WHY I was doing that. I have a lot going on in my life right now and I needed some time to figure out what I needed to do in order to address it (cut myself some slack, figure out a schedule that would work best, etc). Today I'm making a plan for food and going to the grocery store to shop for that plan. I have not been thinking ahead about my food so I've just been eating whatever. Once I set a plan of action it will be easier to stick to it and figure out how to fit in treats after the rest of my day is planned.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Are you maybe being too restrictive with yourself when you are losing? Do you allow yourself any sweets or cut them out completely? Sometimes when people cut off all sweets they tend to binge because of the cravings. If this sounds like you then try allowing yourself some sweets everyday and just work them into your calories. I have sweets most days of the week and it helps keep me happy and doesn't make weight loss so difficult. You can easily fit in some chocolate or ice cream as long as you use portion control. Good luck!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i am very much in the same boat with u . i have had a bad week. everyday was over, or well i just didn't log. i have lost about 20lbs since febuary and i just feel tired of watching everything i eat. i told myself today i was going to recommit. i know i never want to have to buy bigger clothes ever again... but if i don't stop my eating then it won't take long to be back where i was! it's hard. but being big sure sucked alot more. i've reminded myself of that about 20 times today and so far it's working
  • BeckyGor05
    BeckyGor05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hncary wrote: »
    Are you maybe being too restrictive with yourself when you are losing? Do you allow yourself any sweets or cut them out completely? Sometimes when people cut off all sweets they tend to binge because of the cravings. If this sounds like you then try allowing yourself some sweets everyday and just work them into your calories. I have sweets most days of the week and it helps keep me happy and doesn't make weight loss so difficult. You can easily fit in some chocolate or ice cream as long as you use portion control. Good luck!

I don't tend to let myself have sweets and treats simply because I once I start, I can't stop! My willpower just seems to have vanished. It does seem like a good idea though, just need to make sure I don't balls up and eat the whole bag!
  • BeckyGor05
    BeckyGor05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i am very much in the same boat with u . i have had a bad week. everyday was over, or well i just didn't log. i have lost about 20lbs since febuary and i just feel tired of watching everything i eat. i told myself today i was going to recommit. i know i never want to have to buy bigger clothes ever again... but if i don't stop my eating then it won't take long to be back where i was! it's hard. but being big sure sucked alot more. i've reminded myself of that about 20 times today and so far it's working

I completely agree, the thought of getting bigger again terrifies me but at the same time it's just not quite enough motivation to stop me from eating the wrong stuff atm! Like you said, I'm TIRED of not eating the stuff I enjoy, maybe I just need these few weeks to 'get it out of my system' so that I can continue.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I don't tend to let myself have sweets and treats simply because I once I start, I can't stop! My willpower just seems to have vanished. It does seem like a good idea though, just need to make sure I don't balls up and eat the whole bag!

For some people it does lead to binging because they can't stop so this may not be what works best for you. I used to be that way, but lately prelogging and knowing I get a treat everyday doesn't leave me feeling the need for more. Its at least worth a shot ;)
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am so the same as you! I could never have just one biscuit, it ends up being the whole packet.. I need to lose about 10 pounds more to be where I want to be, I have done it before, twice, but I seem to keep sabotaging my efforts! Every day I start well, almost every evening a switch in my brain sends me out to the kitchen and I eat everything I can find, long after I am full, it is really annoying! Please add me, we must be able to overcome this!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    If you would plan your meals in advance, there are lots of foods that you can eat and feel full. If you're juicing, you're going to be hungry in two hours. If you're completely skipping breakfast, you're going to be ravenous at lunch. Or maybe not. Maybe you'll eat a salad for lunch and then be ravenous at dinner. For example: Eat a 200 calorie breakfast, a 400 calorie lunch, and whatever calories you have left over (in my case, 600) use for dinner and snacks. If you have the munchies in the morning, then eat a bigger breakfast. If you have the munchies in the afternoon, then eat a bigger lunch. I personally have the munchies in the evening, so I eat a bigger dinner. Work it out on paper according to your unique requirements. Yesterday (Mother's Day) I absolutely stuffed myself for dinner out with my daughter, including (but not limited to) half a slice of Tuxedo Cake, and I still was only over my calories by 350, but we exercised a lot, so I was technically still under. Plan, plan, and plan!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I started by weight loss journey in January and have been doing really well, I've currently lost 2 stone. My target is to lose another half stone.

The past 2 weeks I've been eating worse and binging a lot, it's actually got to the stage where I'm having more unhealthy days than healthy ones! (When I say unhealthy I mean super bad; crisps, chocolate, cake, ice cream...!) Each day I say 'yesterday was your naughty day, today we must be extra good' but I seem to still *kitten* it up! It feels like the need to be thin just isn't motivation for me anymore. Can anyone offer some support or help on how I can properly get back on track and ditch the bad eating again!

I struggle with the same issues. I have a bad day and in the morning I tell myself "Okay, back on track today" and as the day goes on my motivation/discipline gets less and less and less. By the time I get home, it's back to the same routine/habits. I've lost 26 pounds, so I know what to do and how to do it. For me what it comes down to is getting in the right place, mentally. It sounds so stupid, but you just have to do it. Say no and be disciplined. A slight motivation for me is, when I do really well the day before, I feel really good about the day ahead of me. Then the next thing you know that mentality rolls into the next day and the next and the next and before you know it, you're back on track.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If you would plan your meals in advance, there are lots of foods that you can eat and feel full. If you're juicing, you're going to be hungry in two hours. If you're completely skipping breakfast, you're going to be ravenous at lunch. Or maybe not. Maybe you'll eat a salad for lunch and then be ravenous at dinner. For example: Eat a 200 calorie breakfast, a 400 calorie lunch, and whatever calories you have left over (in my case, 600) use for dinner and snacks. If you have the munchies in the morning, then eat a bigger breakfast. If you have the munchies in the afternoon, then eat a bigger lunch. I personally have the munchies in the evening, so I eat a bigger dinner. Work it out on paper according to your unique requirements. Yesterday (Mother's Day) I absolutely stuffed myself for dinner out with my daughter, including (but not limited to) half a slice of Tuxedo Cake, and I still was only over my calories by 350, but we exercised a lot, so I was technically still under. Plan, plan, and plan!

I find that I have the totally opposite reaction. If I eat breakfast, by lunch stomach is growling, if I skip Im not as hungry. I know that seems backwards. The theory I came up for explain this is that I "wake up" my hunger signals (not sure if There even is such thing, but that's what it feels like) once I start eating for the day.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I find that I have the totally opposite reaction. If I eat breakfast, by lunch stomach is growling, if I skip Im not as hungry. I know that seems backwards. The theory I came up for explain this is that I "wake up" my hunger signals (not sure if There even is such thing, but that's what it feels like) once I start eating for the day.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You were restricting too much. That's why cutting things out doesn't work long term.

Tell yourself that you don't have to give up anything. Set a small deficit and give it a shot. You don't have to get anything 'out of your system'. You can still have your ice cream and your cake... just maybe a little less and not the same day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

14lbs to a stone.
    2.2lbs to a kg
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Yes, get back to the essentials for a few days....Eat veggies, proteins, fats (including nuts, avo), and make sure your fiber is high (at least 35-45g/day). Exclude sugar, grains, fruit and dairy for that period of time. If you can do this for 2 weeks, you may wish to keep doing that for longer! I've been eating like this for weeks on end now and have lost fat fast! In addition, I don't have cravings at all. I can eat at a deficit for the first time sustainably and comfortably! My fat intake is 40-50%, protein about 35%, carbs about 15% Net Carbs (carbs - fiber).

• JeraldTX
    JeraldTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options

The problem with sweets is that they have little or nothing that trips the little "I've had something to eat" trigger, so you can eat way too much before your brain catches on. So one thing you can do is eat something with a lot of protein or fiber right before your sweet snack. Then by the time your sweets hit you'll start to feel full.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

14lbs to a stone.
    2.2lbs to a kg

I'll never understand why Americans use Imperial measurements but leave out a few random ones. So they use feet and inches, but use pounds alone (rather than stones and pounds)?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    buckleten wrote: »
    I am so the same as you! I could never have just one biscuit, it ends up being the whole packet.. I need to lose about 10 pounds more to be where I want to be, I have done it before, twice, but I seem to keep sabotaging my efforts! Every day I start well, almost every evening a switch in my brain sends me out to the kitchen and I eat everything I can find, long after I am full, it is really annoying! Please add me, we must be able to overcome this!

OMG this is EXACTLY what I do. Yesterday I caught myself twice about to jump up and forage in the kitchen during TV shows. I find that doing something besides watching TV or reading in the evening helps distract me and stop that destructive pattern.