Do I have to run?

Options

Replies

• MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Definitely time to find a new trainer, he should not be telling you you HAVE to run! That would make me not want to continue with him. Do what you want! Your doing awesome!
  • Damiski
    Damiski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i think he is been tough and there are other things you can do in place of running. like walking even longer with a group if possible so you can push each other to walk faster which gives your walking exercise a bit more heat, jumping rope.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Despite my comment above, I agree the trainer should not be saying you have to run. Perhaps what the trainer really means is you have to jack your cardio activity up in order to reap the benefits, but wasn't very artful about it.

Use it or lose it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Passing the threshold of dread over to victory is why I made a commitment to run. I challenge myself to run 2 miles. I dread the first mile. I feel like a hero after the second. (I listen to music so I can't hear myself suffering)

Would you be willing to try the c25k again? I think you may like the challenge eventually. Stick with it and you may feel heroic when you finish. (Don't forget your earbuds)

You can choose other cardio activities if running is truly not for you. It's just that running is something you can do almost anywhere and anytime.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem losing weight despite not running. I just started running a couple months ago (treadmill only, I don't like running outside) and I'm doing it just to challenge myself and because I enjoy it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run. No one should think less of you if you don't run. Walking will do you just fine if you put in the effort and time.

That said, part of the reason I started running even though I had hated it before is because when I thought about it, I figured it was ridiculous to be in reasonable physical shape and not be confident in my ability to at least run a mile. Plus, running is a useful survival skill. So I did the C25K thing, ended up enjoying it after all and stuck with it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nope you don't have to run....as far as fitness is concerned, you don't have to do anything you don't wanna do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also vote for fitness snob. I love to run so I do. It is prone to injury though (repetitive strain) so I have to be very careful to approach it in a very programmed manner, with lots of stretching before and after.

If walking is your thing I am sure there are many ways you can do it so it is exciting and motivating. I am told that the local walking club can outpace many of our runners.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    *kitten* running

unless you like it, then go for it
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    A good PT should be focusing on your goals and outlining a plan in order to achieve those goals. Now he may be pushing you out of your comfort zone (hard to get the whole story from a paragraph) in order to do this, but there are several options to wellness.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't even run for a bus if I'm late for something... Walking - especially over 20K steps/ day - is just fine.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you have to catch a flight across Denver airport and you only have a 20 minute layover, YES. For exercise, no. ac2uzyp7kcud.jpg
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "get a new trainer" suggestion. A PT needs to work with you and listen and base a program around your goals (and injuries if you have any). I gave up on the PT thing due to having several trainers that wouldn't listen to me about the back issues that I have. Yes, I understand that I need to strengthen my back so that I won't have the issue I do, but at the same time, pain in different than discomfort.

If you don't like to run, don't run. I hate running but have forced myself on the treadmill at different times, then have stopped. I have a lot of friends that run and have coached track and distance running, but they don't force the philosophy of running on me. Yes, running is a good workout and is great for cardio, but there are a lot of other activities you can do for cardio too. Do you like riding a bike or swimming? I do those and enjoy them WAY more than running- and they're good workouts.
  • bluepenguin1
    bluepenguin1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am completely overwhelmed at the support on here. This was my first post (as I have been really shy up to this point). I've really appreciated all of your comments.

I understand what everyone is saying regarding "pushing myself" and agree perhaps I should up my cardio.

A little further background, my goal is just to become fitter / change body composition a little bit. I'm 176cm and 58kg - so would like to lose some more fat but also gain muscle. I use the PT for strength training / weights as I am not confident enough with my form to do these on my own. Sadly I live in a non-English speaking country and there are a seriously limited number of PTs that don't train in the local language (which I don't speak). I've been looking for a new PT but so far no luck.

I don't want to give up training and go back to nothing while I find someone else as I am worried about progress but I'm worried the PT is having a negative impact (for example he makes disapparging comments about the fat on my stomach and me eating chocolate dispite knowing I've had an eating disorder in the past).

Sorry for the ramble, I just really wanted to say I am blown away by the knowledge and your willingness to share it with me. I was feeling so alone in this fitness journey until now. Thank you!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I wanted to become a runner, like really bad. I tried to become one last summer, I never enjoyed it, then I pushed myself too far and became injured. So, I don't run anymore. (I have found other ways of long cardio, mostly cycling) Regardless, I don't run and I've lost 85 pounds (and counting) If you really hate it, don't do it, being miserable isn't worth it, find something you enjoy doing, because you will do it a lot more and have way more fun.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to run. In fact, if you're goal is to lose body fat walking is better. The fat burning process requires low intensity longer duration exercise. If you're walking 20k steps a day, you're doing great and you'll see results.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    No, you don't have to run. In fact, if you're goal is to lose body fat walking is better. The fat burning process requires low intensity longer duration exercise.

Not quite accurate. If your running remains within aerobic limits you've got a very wide range of intensities where glycogen from adipose tissues (fat stores) will fuel the body.

The ratio of energy (calories) delivered by the fat to carb mechanisms might be higher at lower intensities, but fewer calories are burned per unit of time.

What is the number one rule around here? Exercise doesn't cause you to lose weight, calorie deficits do.

If you want, or need, a larger calorie deficit, running or other higher intensity activities will give you a larger deficit per unit of time. No magic there.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ew. No, don't run if you don't want. Stupid running.

When I had a trainer she told me maybe I should STOP running (I don't think my slow slow 3 miles were doing much for me as far as weight loss goes). I was happy.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15.6lb so far from just walking as I used to get sore knees when I attempted to run. I will attempt again but for now I'm walking and its working
  • _m0lly
    _m0lly Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason why you hate running so much?

All of the comments are right, you don't HAVE to run. You don't have to do anything. It seems you have found your enjoyable balance with walking, and it's working for you, so great!

Why don't you perhaps add in running once per week, say on a treadmill, and edge yourself into it ever so slightly? You don't have to sprint, just a small jog every now and again. I'm pretty sure you'll find yourself getting much better at it, and it'll also help mix up your routine a little :)