13»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jonrenly wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Since you do know quite a lot and are pretty awesome, @Merkavar, I'm sure it was completely sincere :)

Maybe I just spend too much time in the wrong places on the net where people are legitimately rude and abusive so I just assume the same when it's a compliment.

I don't actually think you misinterpreted them, this is not the first time they've made an underhanded rude comment at someone for no reason, they did it to me yesterday...

Yeah there were a few compliments from them in a few threads I had posted in.

No idea if they were serious or sarcastic.

They say they were being serious so that's good enough for me at the moment.

This is an article about tuna and Mercury. With a little calculation to see if your having too much. How much is 5oz in grams? I suspect I have too much tuna in a week.
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/is-eating-tuna-every-day-safe

I think I am right on the edge of too much Mercury. I might cut back. Another excuse to have KFC for lunch instead of tuna in chilli sauce.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    How can any of us answer this question without knowing height,weight, lifestyle or training level? Granted I doubt he is 230lbs to begin with so yes way excessive protein intake but we have NO real information to say too much or too little. Also 200 g is not too difficult if you eat a lot of lean meat or drink double protein shakes. I eat about 10 oz of skinless chicken and 2 protein shakes a day and easily get to 190-202 g of protein before I even get to dinner so I'm curious of how much lean protein he is even putting in his food.

Exactly, we can't answer properly without knowing his stats. Op could you please enlighten us?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    geeze louise

:smile:
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How can any of us answer this question without knowing height,weight, lifestyle or training level? Granted I doubt he is 230lbs to begin with so yes way excessive protein intake but we have NO real information to say too much or too little. Also 200 g is not too difficult if you eat a lot of lean meat or drink double protein shakes. I eat about 10 oz of skinless chicken and 2 protein shakes a day and easily get to 190-202 g of protein before I even get to dinner so I'm curious of how much lean protein he is even putting in his food.
    jorinya wrote: »

Exactly, we can't answer properly without knowing his stats. Op could you please enlighten us?
    Most of that information is on page 1, go read it

Found it, doesn't seem like he is that far off on protein if he is trying to lose weight with a pound a week at 40% protein and that's placing him at a generic moderate activity level (which is pretty conservative since he mentioned active job, runs long distance and lifts).

But I'm pretty such I'm going to get attacked for that because most people live by the optimal protein absorption of .82g of protein body weight or .8-1 g of protein per LBM no matter the circumstances.

In either case his protein now is too low so I would say double the scoops for you whey or casein protein shake and eat one more serving of lean meat. Mid 190s should be his target (210-220 is what I got at 500 calorie deficit @ 40% protein) since he is going for weight/fat loss which is not that hard to do.
  • NYBalbowa
    NYBalbowa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • iamtravisw
    iamtravisw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The amount of wrong here blows my mind. Protein feeds muscles, more muscle = more fat burn. It's literally the building block.
    You do not need that much protein, period.

Even crazy whey-protein-marketing-blinded, broscience-obsessed-body-builders say 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. So unless you are 3% body fat (hint: you aren't), you don't need 233g of protein a day.

In my opinion, excessive protein intake has become a fad fueled by barbell training becoming more popular and broscience entering everyone's vocabulary. It's now being sustained by the mainstream marketing machine. Nothing wrong with making sure you aren't lacking in protein, but you don't need to center your diet around it unless you are perhaps a world class body-builder juiced to the eyeballs and in need of massive quantities of protein for constant, steroid-driven growth.

• iamtravisw
    iamtravisw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and a shake for breakfast, grilled chicken (rice, veggies) and a shake after your workout, chicken or turkey (maybe even another shake) for dinner. Protein bars and protein snacks through the day help as well. It's not hard, you just gotta eat.
  • dejanb83
    dejanb83 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not a single person who's not on gear (roids), needs 233g of protein. Even natural bodybuilders performing high volume routines for hypertrophy do not need that much protein. As a natural athlete, or just a regular person working out and striving to be healthier, you need no more than 1g/lean body weight mass, max.This should leave you plenty of calories for fats and carbs. Best of luck to you.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck at 136 of 233 already drinking a protein shake, another 100 seems unrealistic! Any help reaching my daily goal ?
    Are you a Rhino? You only need around 0.8g per kilo of bodyweight. up it to around a 1gram if you're lifting
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    iamtravisw wrote: »
    The amount of wrong here blows my mind. Protein feeds muscles, more muscle = more fat burn. It's literally the building block.

Even crazy whey-protein-marketing-blinded, broscience-obsessed-body-builders say 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. So unless you are 3% body fat (hint: you aren't), you don't need 233g of protein a day.

In my opinion, excessive protein intake has become a fad fueled by barbell training becoming more popular and broscience entering everyone's vocabulary. It's now being sustained by the mainstream marketing machine. Nothing wrong with making sure you aren't lacking in protein, but you don't need to center your diet around it unless you are perhaps a world class body-builder juiced to the eyeballs and in need of massive quantities of protein for constant, steroid-driven growth.

I didn't say anywhere that you don't need protein. But protein-obsession is insane. It's just another fad driven by people making money selling protein.

But believe what you want, no skin off my nose.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I add liquid egg whites into my protein shake to help meet my protein goal.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    iamtravisw wrote: »

I didn't say anywhere that you don't need protein. But protein-obsession is insane. It's just another fad driven by people making money selling protein.

But believe what you want, no skin off my nose.

You're right, it's the hottest trend right now, it's food marketers biggest focus. I'm a little leery of the reccommendations on these boards for everyone to change their protein setting (while decrying falling for other fads), when it is in fact the biggest fad right now.

http://www.startribune.com/food-makers-are-pushing-protein/253062631/
  • AZURESEAS
    AZURESEAS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tuna is high in mercury. Drs recommend pregnant ladies not eat it at all. My daughter just had a baby that was her OB's advise.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of protein, add a little water (or Almond milk), fruit & peanut butter if you want.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    OLD THREAD.

OLD THREAD.

OLD THREAD.

THE THREAD IS OLD.
  • lschifko314
    lschifko314 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Look up a recipe for tuna pattys. Basically tuna and egg some bread crumbs cook it in a pan like a burger!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    hutchy100 wrote: »
    It's defo not a lot , I'm doing 40% carbs and protein 20% fat as I'm doing insanity ,
    Breakfast 3 eggs and 100 grams of salmon with protein shake
    Mid morning snack , protein flapjack
    Lunch chicken salad
    Afternoon snack tuna
    Dinner meat and some carbs
    Then recovery shake after working out

I don't always hit my goals but getting close now I'm taking it serious

Beef liver has a wicket punch of protein