More protein!

Options
JustinSlone
JustinSlone Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm stuck at 136 of 233 already drinking a protein shake, another 100 seems unrealistic! Any help reaching my daily goal ?

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken, a nice steak, some pork chops, eggs with cheese, tuna sandwich, salmon filet, talapia. ground turkey (can put this in soup, tacos, taco salad), greek yogurt. Yum!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Why is your goal 233? Maybe it's too high?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How have you calculated your goal?
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    233?? Holy smokes. My daily goal is 60 and I already have a hard enough time hitting that.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Chicken, white fish, aduki beans, tuna steak, eggs all are protein rich foods. Try increasing those in you diet to achieve your goal naturally, obviously portion size matters. Good luck.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Why is your protein goal so high? How do you have room to fit any carbs and fat and still eat a calorie deficit with such a high protein goal?
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Why is your protein goal so high? How do you have room to fit any carbs and fat and still eat a calorie deficit with such a high protein goal?

Good point. Isn't some of the best calorie to protein ratio like 6 cal per gram?

That's like 1400 calories right there just on protein.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you don't need anywhere near 233g of protein a day.

+1

Though I can see how it might arise at say 35% of 2660 cals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck at 136 of 233 already drinking a protein shake, another 100 seems unrealistic! Any help reaching my daily goal ?

your daily goal is 233g of protein?

is that worked out on 0.8-1g protein per lb of LBM
  • JustinSlone
    Options
    Before any input says my calorie goal is 3370 and 168 protein but the protein goes up by the end of day - is that because of exercise ? Thanks!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    3370 is your daily goal? Wow!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Before any input says my calorie goal is 3370 and 168 protein but the protein goes up by the end of day - is that because of exercise ? Thanks!

What's your height, current weight, activity level and weight goal at present?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    3370 to lose weight?

something is rotten in the state of Denmark
  • JustinSlone
    Options
    I weigh 240 6'5 very active run several miles bike 10 miles lift have a very active job 15000 steps daily, I'm trying to tone my midsection by 20 pounds these daily goals are set by mfp, I'm new to program not sure if these numbers are right, also so hard to keep my sodium at 2300 with all the protein especially chicken being so salty.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Kind of sounds high for calories and protein for weight loss, even for an active person.

Maybe recheck everything again. Like the activity level you set it to.

Are you losing weight at the right rate?
  • Celestina_Loving
    Celestina_Loving Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a hard time hitting my protein goal also. I just try to have a decent amount of it at each meal. A protein shake for first breakfast, eggs at second breakfast, and chicken/fish/steak at lunch and dinner. Also try to make sure my snacks have it as well (Greek yogurt, string cheese, quest bar)
  • JustinSlone
    Options
    I'm only eating 2000 calories a day regardless of the mfp goal of 3300
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Justin,

First...that % of protein could be correct for you, but you may consider trying less...more on that later.

The macros set in mfp are in the goals tab. If you are finding it tough to hit the protein then track your protein intake for 4 days and see what % of the calories you are eating from protein are. For instance...if you eat 150 grams of protein that is about 600 calories. 600 / 3370 would be 16% of your calories are coming from protein. Now this isn't the end all way to look at it, but it will help you find out what % you are at now so you know how far you could stretch this.

Another way to look at this is the amount of protein you should eat per pound of weight. For myself, I don't use my current weight to do this b/c my current weight is made up of a lot of fat content. So you may want to use what weight you'd be at looking fit, say 215 pounds. It's not like you are sitting on a ton of extra muscle right now, so you may have the same muscle mass at 215 you do at 240. Assuming you have a similar muscle mass as you would after your cut to 215, why would you base your protein intake on a derivative of your fatty weight? That calorie intake number is a derivative of your 240 weight. Let's take a .8 multiple on the 215 rock solid 6'5" frame and that comes out to 172 grams. That amount of protein grams should satisfy your body in my opinion-if 215 seems like an ideal weight for you. Now if you are trying to cut out 1000 calories per day you are going to need to reduce that a little or keep it the same and really cut on the other macros, that's your choice and you could do some reading on what the best strategy would be to start on.

Also, when you take the protein is important. You may want to throw down a shake after using your muscles the most. Also, some solid research says protein intake is not helpful after 30 grams, but you are much larger than normal so I could see you at 35-45 grams per meal.

To get a nice protein kick you could just buy a pound of the 96% lean ground beef, toss the first 1/2 pound in a pan and cook then toss it in a tortilla and clobber it or just eat it with a dash of worchester sauce like I enjoy it. Then do the other 1/2 pound later so you are not putting 100 grams of protein in at once. Maybe take a half pound to work for a quick snack or meal with a tortilla.