I don't know how to keep my wraps from falling apart. :(

Options
FatPixiee
FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
So I use the big tortilla wraps to make lunches, adding veggies, cheese sometimes, maybe a little meat and then some sauce like sour cream or avocado mixed with light miracle whip. I have folded the sides in then roll it up like they show on the package. I have tried having it cold, preheating the wrap on the skillet, and today I put it in the oven a few minutes after it was all assembled. No matter what I do they just fall apart so bad! I want them to be like in the restaurants and how I imagine them turning out in my head. Please help. (0_0)

Replies

• kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a place called the Pita Pit that ONLY served wraps... you need to warm them with steam heat... not dry heat. Try your microwave for 10 seconds on a dinner plate. If they are still not soft, dampen a paper towel, ring out thoroughly and place on top of the tortilla... then microwave for 10 seconds.

I make burritos and wraps all the time at home this way... never rips...but you have to fold them nearly immediately because they dry out quickly.
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I put mine (flour or corn) between two sheets of kitchen paper & microwave for about 30 seconds on 80%.

Keep them between the paper as you're using them, it'll keep them a bit damp.

Ultimately, don't overfill... however flexible they are, if you overfill they'll burst.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Maybe its the tortillas you're using... Maybe try a different brand? I really like the Flatoutbread wraps, the macros are great and they are big and hold together really well
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Corn or brown rice tortillas tend to break, in my experience. La Tortilla Factory or Ole Wellness don't rip as easily.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Maybe try another brand? I make my own now, but when I used to buy them I used the mission ww tortillas and they held up fine.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I cheat! I make a vegan wrap for lunch every day, so they're quite bulky with avocado, mushrooms, peppers etc.
    So, I wrap them on cling film (I think it's called saren wrap in the states?) make the wrap, then wrap in the film. It's obviously ideal for me to transport it to work that way, but it works so well, I even do it at weekends when making lunch.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »
    I used to work for a place called the Pita Pit that ONLY served wraps... you need to warm them with steam heat... not dry heat. Try your microwave for 10 seconds on a dinner plate. If they are still not soft, dampen a paper towel, ring out thoroughly and place on top of the tortilla... then microwave for 10 seconds.

I make burritos and wraps all the time at home this way... never rips...but you have to fold them nearly immediately because they dry out quickly.

I have nothing helpful to say but I really wanted to express how much I love the Pita Pit.
    Oh my goodness.
    Working there must have been wonderful.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat them every night and... I use silverware... I know, that's not the point of wraps.... But I can't eat them without a fork, not even the ones you could buy.... Worst case scenario, if you can't find a solution to the falling apart issue, at least they taste ust as nice with a fork.... :)
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Are they stale? Maybe separate them with deli paper and keep them in the freezer.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    When I used to make a wrap in the morning, I would wrap and then wrap in tinfoil so that I could peel off the edges as I ate. That's another option so you're still able to eat on the go.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Make the sandwich and wrap in deli paper, just before you start eating, cut in 1/2 with the paper on. Peel the paper off as you eat. Nice and neat and you do not get sandwich goodness all over your hand.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I use to use the 'light' wraps, they use to break all the time, but the full fat ones were fine. Maybe it's the type of wraps you are using?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    probably over filling them.
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know they had light ones. I use the mission tortillas. I probably am overfilling a little bit. I will try putting them in the microwave or even steam it a little bit in one of those bamboo steam pots. Thanks y'all.