SOS to all the dieting/gym people

Options
2»

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    otey743 wrote: »
    I think your calorie intake is very low . Find out what your TDEE is then take 20% of calories off of that . But I'm not sure your weight height or age ether. Feel free to add me if you would like more info . Best of luck .

Agree. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Invest in a food scale. Weigh your solid food and measure any liquids with spoons/cups.

There are a million different exercises you can do at home. You Are Your Own Gym is an awesome at-home strength training program that requires no equipment but sturdy tables, chairs and doors. Pinterest has other strength training/body weight exercises, Cardio, HIIT, healthy recipes, etc.

Hang in there.
  • johannpascual
    johannpascual Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Never cut out any normal food. NEVER. That only equates a failure rate of 99%. Unless you have great discipline. So eat your bread or pasta or rice. Eat WHATEVER.

Since you're starting out, you only need to remember and do 2 things:

1. Use containers to portion your food. Whatever's not in the container, you can't eat it! In time, your brain will get used to it.
    2. Never go beyond 80% fullness. Every time you eat, do not go to full capacity. Your body will eventually adapt.

Just do these 2 things and you'll be losing weight after only a few weeks. No need to drastically change your diet.
  • tingtawn
    tingtawn Posts: 59 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also decreased my cal to about 1300. I lost weight for my wedding and then started grad school and stopped focusing on myself. Now that I gained all the weight, plus some, back I am making more time for myself again in my busy schedule. I don't have a lot of time to prep meals. I have found meal replacements shakes ( I like the GNC total lean brand) really help me. I am trying to eat more fruits/ veggies as well, and plenty of water!
  • chastings32
    chastings32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've learned a lot from everyone's comments! Please feel free to add more advice at anytime!!
  • johannpascual
    johannpascual Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi! I've been going strong for two weeks! I am 26 and I have 55 pounds to lose. However my goal is not a number my goal is feeling good and being strong

That's all good... but without a target number, it's hard to quantify and maintain. You need a number just to serve as a guide. A lot of overweight or malnourished people still feel great (according to them)... so I think just basing it on feeling is not ideal. Hehehehe.
  • iamsmara
    iamsmara Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi OP,

I once was at 1200 calories a day - mostly lean meat, fruits and nuts. I had also totally cut off bread and pasta but had brown rice about twice a week. No dairy either because I am mildly lactose intolerant, so decided better to completely avoid milk, cheese, butter. Successfully followed this diet for about 2 months (coupled with daily jogging for 3 miles), lost about 5 kilos, then lost half my hair on Month 3 and by Month 6 had put back all the kilos I had lost. This happened just before my wedding - you see, i was dieting so that I could look fab on my wedding album - but I assure you, it was quite the opposite. I hardly look at the photos any more. It took me about 2 years for my hair to recover, but I still have got the bald spots.

Later when I narrated this to an ayurvedic doctor, he said: "That always happens when you try to teach your body to adapt to a new diet too quickly. Your body learned to lose the kilos but it didn't learn to keep the kilos away - plus it was deprived of the nutrients it needed to function optimally and so it attacked itself by conserving them (the hair loss). You need to give enough time for your body to learn what you're trying to teach. If you're in a hurry, it will also give hurried results but will definitely go back to its old habits sooner or later. Because the human body is genetically designed to depend and run on regular, nourishing sustenance; abstinence works for a while, but not permanently, unless one is disciplined all her life (and most of us are not!)."

Basically, the secret is - when it comes to dieting, slow and steady wins the race. Last November I gave myself a year to lose 24 pounds (what's the rush?), and mostly thanks to MFP, I have been steadily losing 2 pounds a month. I am on a 1740 calorie plan (previously I was eating around 3000 calories a day - blech!) and I eat whatever I want (but I am practising portion control). I walk two miles, stretch 15 min and drink 3L of water every day (best decision ever because it has cured my snack cravings)... this way of dieting keeps me happy, instead of worried and avoiding stuff all the time. Trust me, the high feeling at the beginning of any diet wears off quickly... and moderation of foods works so much better than boycotting pasta from your life!

So, OP, I highly recommend you to read more about fitness and nutrition before starting any diet regime. It will help you be prepared for the diet - and IMO, this mental preparation is vital because dieting is (let's call a spade a spade) tough! Is there any compelling reason you want to lose weight quickly? Even if there is, do be aware that it will not give permanent results. It is dangerous to cut carbs from your diet, as it can lead to permanent damage in your body at the worst case scenario - just like protein and vitamins, the human body also needs carbs and fat to survive and perform daily tasks optimally... the key is in moderation, not abstinence... all the best and here is a link that will help you started - http://www.downstate.edu/ahd/nwl.html

:)

R

P.S.: Great decision to cut out soda! Good riddance to bad rubbish :)
  • iamsmara
    iamsmara Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Regarding every day exercise, it depends on your age and activity level... if you're in your late teens or early 20s and on your feet all day, I would say no need for extra exercise, just portion control is enough (your metabolism is in your favour!)... but if you're sedentary like me, at least 30 minutes of exercise every day is needed, followed by at least 10 minutes of stretching. At the most basic level, I recommend half an hour of active sports or brisk walking every day (5 min of warm up before and 10 min of stretching after), if you don't want to invest in a gym or don't want to be bothered about a dedicated exercise plan :)

R