One leg bigger than the other!!!

Options
Hi
Have to share my plight in hopes someone may have had a similar situation. I have lost a lot of weight and always knew my left leg was bigger than my right but was hoping it would even out as I lost weight. I still have a fair bit to lose but the difference in the size is worrying, here are the stats:

Left ankle - 9
Right ankle - 8.2
Left calf - 16.9
Right calf - 15.8
Left knee - 17.4
Right knee - 15.9

Any insight very much welcomed :)
Ps - wasn't sure which category to post this in eeek!

Replies

• arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Some degree of asymmetry is perfectly normal. As long as it doesn't affect your daily life, it isn't a problem.

My right upper arm is significantly larger than my left. By an inch or more - if I lift my arms, say into a bicep flex pose, wearing a Tshirt, it's very noticeable. I don't do that much, though, so unless I specifically show it to people, they have no idea.
  • pennapely
    pennapely Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is me! I hate it. Whenever I run I'm constantly focused on what my smaller leg is doing, trying to make it work harder etc When I sit I can feel the extra muscle on the back of my right thigh and worry about my spine becoming crooked as I lean/contort to accommodate it.

And my right arm is noticeably more muscular than my left.
  • TheNewMeUK
    TheNewMeUK Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    arkham_ma wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. Some degree of asymmetry is perfectly normal. As long as it doesn't affect your daily life, it isn't a problem.

My right upper arm is significantly larger than my left. By an inch or more - if I lift my arms, say into a bicep flex pose, wearing a Tshirt, it's very noticeable. I don't do that much, though, so unless I specifically show it to people, they have no idea.
    thanks! I know being fit and healthy is all that matters but it's so noticeable, if it stays like this I can never wear a skirt or dress and it's getting me so down :(

• TheNewMeUK
    TheNewMeUK Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    pennapely wrote: »
    This is me! I hate it. Whenever I run I'm constantly focused on what my smaller leg is doing, trying to make it work harder etc When I sit I can feel the extra muscle on the back of my right thigh and worry about my spine becoming crooked as I lean/contort to accommodate it.

And my right arm is noticeably more muscular than my left.
    it sucks right!? At least yours is muscle though mine is just lumpy fat :/

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    You're dealt the genetics you got. Sometimes asymmetry issues are significant because of one joint being longer than the other (not uncommon with legs) takes the brunt of resistance. Normally if it's that significant, it's been an issue for a LONG time.
    MY DW has the same issue with left and right leg. She's asked me several times if there's anything she can do. The only legit answer? Don't use her left leg so it atrophies enough to match her right. She dances ballroom, so that's not gonna happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ohrandi
    ohrandi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always thought my left calf was bigger than the right because it's the clutch leg! :D I don't worry about it though. It is what it is.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I injured my sciatic nerve and left shoulder and my left side is weaker and larger than my right. Nothing you can do. Just know that you are probably the only one who notices.
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I always thought that was normal lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. At my biggest, my left leg was markedly bigger than my right. It still is a little but as the weight comes off, they are getting closer to the same size. Looking at your measurements, I don't see a huge difference. I bet no one notices but you.
  • dawnmosley111
    dawnmosley111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have an injured sciatic nerve and my right leg noticeable larger than left. My pants indeed are tighter on that side. I lost 40lbs and walk close to 20k steps everyday don't know if that has anything to do with.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have anywhere from .5-1 inch differences from one side to the other. It's normal.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My whole right side is a bit bigger - leg, arm, boob, love handle...it was less noticeable when I was thinner, and I guess will never go away entirely. I'm like 99% sure I am the only person who has ever noticed any of it.