I dont know how to start...

Options
I need help. So I'm definitely a big girl I'm 360 pounds. I have neck and back problems, which I'm sure is due to my weight. I just don't know what I should be doing to get back on track and lose weight. I was 220 years ago I just need advice on where to begin....

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Figure out your calorie and macro goals. Walk more. Go from there. :)
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's overwhelming to read the forums and try to interpret everything that's said. Move more and eat less, then you can worry about the specifics.
    That's how you start without stressing too much.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Since you have problems with your neck and back, you should honestly start with a visit to a physical therapist or sports doctor so that you can find out what you should be careful about, what can actually help improve those issues, and what to absolutely avoid. I was shocked to find that lifting heavy was the #1 recommendation for my chronic neck issues and that I COULD run with a bad knee (I just had to work up to it more slowly and limit my distance somewhat).

Walking is one of the best exercises for people who are struggling with basic physical fitness. It is low impact, can be done anywhere, and has a variety of options from powerwalking for cardio to long distance walking for indurance to helping you relieve stress and tension.
  • jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    make small daily goals - part of those should be to do more activity each day and build up. walking is a great place to start. diet is the other part - and again figure out your calorie goals but start slow - even if it is accurately tracking what you eat each day so you can be honest about it and then start to try to improve each day. doing small daily goals with your diet and exercise will help give you confidence. and don't be too hard on yourself - each day you get to start over:)
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Start tracking everything you eat. Buy a food scale and weigh everything so you know you're entering things correctly. Start moving more. Just starting going for walks. Walk as far/as long as you can and gradually work on increasing the duration and distance.

Don't expect too much at the beginning, just do what you can. Anything more than you do now is a step in the right direction. Once you have a good idea on how much you're eating, start cutting back.

Eat out less, cook at home more. Eat less processed food, eat more 'real' food. Stop buying food from the aisles, and shop more around the parimiter of the grocery store. That's where the fresh stuff is. Allow yourself indulgences once a day or once a week, depedning on the strength of your resolve.

Don't feel like you have to cut anything out, just cut it back. Don't carry money with you unless you have something specific to buy, that way you're not tempted to stop for fast food.

That should get you started.
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just put your stats in and take the calorie goal that MFP gives you, and log everything you eat. Weigh and measure your food as much as you can. Get a digital food scale. Be patient. Get some friends here for support and advice. I'll send you a friend request. :)
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I answered your question with specific workout advice, but you were asking for general weight loss. The truth is that the majority of weight loss comes from diet, not exercise. So, while working out will definitely help you feel better and look better, the main thing for actually losing pounds is counting calories (or points or whatever your preferred method is).
  • katieross1508
    katieross1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it should start with the diet. Work on that first, get yourself eating the right amount of calories. Exercise is of course super important but I found when I started that it was a bit overwhelming to try to change all of me at once. I started with getting my diet in check and making good healthy choices. Then after the first 10 pounds came off (which didn't take long) I didn't need to force myself to exercise I wanted to do it because my body was starting to feel better and the results were super motivating. Like the other posters said, small goals, one day at a time. I think keeping yourself from getting to overwhelmed with the process is the ticket. And then the results push you to do the rest.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    1. Definitely buy a food scale so you can have a better idea of how much you are eating.
    2. Start walking even if you can only go up the block initially.
    3. Please don't start at 1200 calories - which is what MFP might start you with. You will backslide if you make such a drastic change in calories at your first attempt.
    4. Try these websites to get better ideas of where to start calorie-wise.
    >>To get military fat percentage: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    >>To get BMR: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    >>An alternate site: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    Between all these, you should have a good idea where to start calorie-wise.
    5. Please do not attempt to cut out EVERYTHING at once. Eg. If you drank 5 glasses of soda per day, maybe try going to 3 glasses per day in the first week.
    6. Take the exercise burn calories with a grain of salt, assuming over inflation. Don't eat back all of it.
    7. Above all, do not beat up yourself if you don't do as well as you thought you should. If you backslide at one meal, don't give yourself permission to blow the entire day...get back on board at the next meal.

Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!. No matter how giant that elephant, it can be eaten just one bite at a time!!!

• Heather932012
    Heather932012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :smiley: my biggest problem is eating at work. I work at caseys . so this Friday when I get paid I'm going to try to pick out healthier options to bring to work with me
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Caseys is so I looked it up online. Is it that pizza restaurant? Having all those good aromas around would be tempting, but it looks like they have their nutrition information on their website. That will help you make the best choices there that you can.

As for exercise, walking is great. My sister has back and neck issues and is quite heavy. She can't walk well, but she finds it much more comfortable to ride her bike.