1000 calorie diet for 2lb loss?

if my BMR is 1500 and I eat 1000 calories a day should this put me on the road for losing 1b per week?
And if I did 2 hours walking per day burning 500 calories will this help me lose another pound?
Really hoping for a 2lb loss per week

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    if my BMR is 1500 and I eat 1000 calories a day should this put me on the road for losing 1b per week?
    And if I did 2 hours walking per day burning 500 calories will this help me lose another pound?

Oh dear.

What's the hurry? How many pounds total do you have to lose? What are your current stats (height/weight/activity level).

This is not a healthy or sustainable way to go about this process.

Read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here#latest
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Stop.

Nothing you posted makes any sense...

Read the stickies at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2015

you're confusing BMR with TDEE. You don't cut from BMR...BMR is just what you "burn" by merely existing on this planet. I assume you do more than exist.

Example...your BMR is 1500ish...then you get out of bed and whatnot and do your daily stuff...let's say your day to day hum drum burns about 500 calories. That puts you at 2000 calories per day right there without deliberate exercise...now lets say you exercise and burn 300 calories per day...that puts you at 2,300 calories per day to maintain. You would cut from 2,300 calories, not 1,500....

MFP's calorie goals already include your deficit to lose weight...it takes all of the info you put in and estimates your BMR and your daily hum drum and cuts from that. Also, 2 Lbs per week is very aggressive and if you aren't obese and beyond, you're just going to torch a bunch of lean mass.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Your bmr doesn't matter. How much do you weigh and what's your height?
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Not BMR, TDEE.

BMR = basal metabolic rate. It's the energy required to keep you alive.
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. It's the BMR + activities-energy.

There are simple formulas you can use to estimate one from the other. For example if you're sedentary and don't exercise, but you're also not comatose, you might use BMR x 1.2 = TDEE. If your BMR is 1500 then your TDEE is approximately 1800 calories; lose 1 lb from dieting would mean eating 1300 per day, not 1000 as you'd calculated.

Beyond that, you've got the right idea. Every 500 calorie deficit equals approximately 1 lb lost per week.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015

How did you calculate your BMR? What is the number MFP gave you? Are you following the MFP or the TDEE - a % plan?

2 pounds a week sometimes is too aggressive of a plan. 1,000calories a day doesn't sound very filling to me. Why not try 1 pound a week.

Check out the link posted above and this one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Find out your TDEE via Google and subtract from that. Not from your bmr

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Why the rush?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Or just use mfp's calculations and do what it says, without trying to lose too quickly for your weight/height.

You can hope in one hand and **** in the other and see which fills up faster.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    If you lose weight too quickly you risk having loose skin. There's no rush.

Also, once your determine how many calories you should eat a day (let's use 1200 as an example), that means net calorie intake. In other words, if you exercise enough to lose 200 calories, and your baseline is 1200 calories, then you should eat 1400 calories that day.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Your profile says that you want to lose 45 lbs. Two pounds per week would be too large of a deficit for you. I'd shoot for one lb per week.

Put your stats into this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and find out what your approximate TDEE is. Subtract 500 calories from that number. Alternatively, set your MFP goals to 1 lb/week and set your activity level to lightly active (very few people are truly sedentary). Eat 50-75% of your exercise calories back, and you will lose at a healthy and sustainable pace.

Note also that weight loss is not linear. You will not lose exactly one pound per week every single week, but you should average about 1 lb/week over time.

Just be patient, and educate yourself. You didn't gain the weight overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Your profile says that you want to lose 45 lbs. Two pounds per week would be too large of a deficit for you. I'd shoot for one lb per week.

Based on what, exactly?

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Zedeff wrote: »

Based on what, exactly?

you know what it's based on...why do you keep poking the bear?

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt

Based on what, exactly?

Assuming that OP is only 45 lbs overweight for her height, and she's not morbidly obese with a 45-lb mini goal, losing two pounds per week would be hard to sustain long term because the deficit needed would be too large. For example, let's assume that the OP is a 5'5" female, 25 years old, weighing 175 lbs and shooting for 130 (which is about the middle of a healthy range for a 5'5" female). If she's lightly active, her approximate TDEE barring any health conditions would be around 2200 calories. A 1,000 calorie per day deficit would put her at approximately 1200 net calories, which is hard to sustain long term for most people. That number would only get lower as she loses weight, so would she just keep lowering her net calories every day to sustain that deficit? Exercise more and more to keep that deficit going?

Furthermore, why on earth would you (general "you") want to eat that few calories each day if it isn't necessary? Wouldn't you want to eat as many calories as possible to lose weight healthily, retain muscle mass, and fuel your workouts?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Based on what, exactly?

you know what it's based on...why do you keep poking the bear?

Also this^^^

@Zedeff you seem to like to just take the stance contrary to most of the MFP members. Not to mention question the intelligence of people with whom you disagree.

I don't understand.
  • bethany_h_xx
    bethany_h_xx Posts: 12 Member
    I weigh 12 stone 3 that photo is from when I was 9 stone and that's what I'm aiming to get back to lol
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    I weigh 12 stone 3 that photo is from when I was 9 stone and that's what I'm aiming to get back to lol

Then yes, I'd say that a lb/week loss would be much more sustainable for you.