Gym Etiquette?!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Learn substitute exercises for your program, whether they are with barbells or dumbbells or other machines.

Basically where I was going with the barbell suggestion.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    JarethG wrote: »
    this is relevant to the discussion:
    https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/12-gym-etiquette-commandments

You never know when you might talk to crazy though, so unless you're willing to put someone on the other side of the dirt using a dumbbell, just move on to different things.

I read that article, and while I agree almost completely, I find his attitude towards women's gym attire disturbing. People shouldn't care what others wear, women, and men, should be entitled to wear whatever gym clothes they find comfortable. But
    misogyny is so engrained in everyone's subconsious that we just continue to blame women becuae their bodies are just good for one thing: sexual attractiveness. BS.

X2

Your choice to sexualize a woman for wearing form fitting clothing should not be her problem. If you find her body attractive, glance and enjoy and keep working out while not being obtrusive in any way. The other night when I observed some very attractive young men at the gym wearing almost nothing (short tight shorts and tennis shoes), I certainly appreciated their bodies. What I didn't do was try to shame them into dressing in a way that doesn't "distract" women.
  • sandryc79

You never know when you might talk to crazy though, so unless you're willing to put someone on the other side of the dirt using a dumbbell, just move on to different things.

I read that article, and while I agree almost completely, I find his attitude towards women's gym attire disturbing. People shouldn't care what others wear, women, and men, should be entitled to wear whatever gym clothes trey find comfortable. But mysogeny is so engrained in everyone's subconsious that we just continue to blame women becuae their bodies are just good for one thing: sexual attractiveness. BS.
    Women should wear whatever they want to the gym. When what she wear molds to every crease and crevice in her body, though, she shouldn't be surprised when she garners attention. The same for men. And let's not pretend that men aren't ogled for their bodies, too, but not as many people know the word "misandry."

The issue here is not, "is she being ogled". The issue is the article saying she should not dress in form fitting clothing because it is "distracting". It also seems to assume a woman who dresses this way is motivated by a desire to provoke sexual response not by a desire to wear what is comfortable and they like.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    sandryc79 wrote: »

I read that article, and while I agree almost completely, I find his attitude towards women's gym attire disturbing. People shouldn't care what others wear, women, and men, should be entitled to wear whatever gym clothes trey find comfortable. But mysogeny is so engrained in everyone's subconsious that we just continue to blame women becuae their bodies are just good for one thing: sexual attractiveness. BS.
    Women should wear whatever they want to the gym. When what she wear molds to every crease and crevice in her body, though, she shouldn't be surprised when she garners attention. The same for men. And let's not pretend that men aren't ogled for their bodies, too, but not as many people know the word "misandry."

The issue here is not, "is she being ogled". The issue is the article saying she should not dress in form fitting clothing because it is "distracting". It also seems to assume a woman who dresses this way is motivated by a desire to provoke sexual response not by a desire to wear what is comfortable and they like.

Don't even engage with this guy. Its gonna go nowhere.
  • sandryc79

Don't even engage with this guy. Its gonna go nowhere.

Yeah, that's probably sound advice.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

I read that article, and while I agree almost completely, I find his attitude towards women's gym attire disturbing. People shouldn't care what others wear, women, and men, should be entitled to wear whatever gym clothes they find comfortable. But
    misogyny is so engrained in everyone's subconsious that we just continue to blame women becuae their bodies are just good for one thing: sexual attractiveness. BS.

X2

Your choice to sexualize a woman for wearing form fitting clothing should not be her problem. If you find her body attractive, glance and enjoy and keep working out while not being obtrusive in any way. The other night when I observed some very attractive young men at the gym wearing almost nothing (short tight shorts and tennis shoes), I certainly appreciated their bodies. What I didn't do was try to shame them into dressing in a way that doesn't "distract" women.

As Seinfeld said about looking at a good looking woman. It's like looking at the sun. You glance, appreciate and look away.

Repeat on occasion as needed.

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    bostonwolf wrote: »

X2

As Seinfeld said about looking at a good looking woman. It's like looking at the sun. You glance, appreciate and look away.

LOL - This is what I think of too (on Seinfeld), but regarding the men with cute butts (in the gym and out of the gym). Make the internal acknowledgement and carry on. lol
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Misandry!

931e1a72c0da56e7ce14a329814326eb.jpg
  • shrinkingletters
    Misandry!

931e1a72c0da56e7ce14a329814326eb.jpg

Attractive woman being attractive not there explicitly for me and I can't use her existing as an excuse for my behavior? Oppression! My rights that I've had to fight for since ever! I deserve!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member

To be fair the author of the article was also of the opinion that men should wear T shirts to the gym and not sleeveless shirts or tanks. He just didn't say that seeing some guy in tight, sexy clothes would give him a "pump" in other areas.
  • shrinkingletters
    JenAndSome wrote: »

To be fair the author of the article was also of the opinion that men should wear T shirts to the gym and not sleeveless shirts or tanks. He just didn't say that seeing some guy in tight, sexy clothes would give him a "pump" in other areas.

The author of the article needs to get over themselves and realize they're in no place to police how anyone should dress to work up a sweat.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    She will quit soon. Be patent.

Unless she's just using the gym for the free wifi. lol
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member

You can do that!?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I politely ask if she is done when I am ready to use the machine I want. If that doesn't help, enlist staff.
  • shrinkingletters

You can do that!?

My gym doesn't have free wi-fi. :neutral:
  • sandryc79
    bostonwolf wrote: »

X2

Lol! Exactly!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I noticed many people are afraid to say something, so if I'm on a machine I ask if they want to work in a set. Conversation is a lost art and people can barely communicate anymore. So many conflicting personalities in a gym to begin with makes it uncomfortable without talking to one another.
  • motzey2000
    motzey2000 Posts: 2 Member
    I wouldn't mess with her. I complained once about someone who wouldn't get off the treadmill when her time was up. They asked her to get off. She moved over to another machine and I was getting up to speed, she turned off my machine. I stumbled off, luckily not hurting myself. She was banned from the gym.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Merci4u wrote: »
    The one thing I find the worst is people who don't wipe down the equipment. I have to breath in your sweaty air, I don't want to sit in it too.

How about the sweaty old men who use their nasty towel to wipe down the machines instead of the gym provided paper towels and disinfectant spray!!

I watched a guy do this a couple times then took him the spray and paper towels and asked him to use that not his sweaty towel. He was quite indignant.

A few nights later I saw another old man doing something similar...only he was reusing a paper towel on several machines ( again not using the spray)

WTH do these old coots have against disinfectant? ??

This is just something I accept in joining a public gym. Other than your personal ick factor, there's really no harm. Coming from military gyms with no A/C or wipes its just something you deal with - the only harm is losing your grip.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Use a barbell instead
    You're just moving the problem to benches or squat racks, not really addressing it.

I would use free weights/barbells at the heart beat instead of machines. A lot more challenging.

For me, lately, more and more folks want to be up close to the weight rack and mirror and do bicep curls. It's always bicep curls close to mirror. what's up with that? Anyone experiencing this at their gym?