pre-diabetes ?

hey all, I just want some advice on what to do now that I know my blood test results.

so in April I got a general blood test for my insurance that tested basically everything. all my levels were great, EXCEPT my fasting glucose was high (104).
last week my doctor and I decided to test my hemoglobin A1C levels since my glucose was high and it's at 5.7

I go to the doctor again on the 23rd to go over my A1C, but I'm just so upset.

I'm a 23 year old female, 5'7 and 145 pounds. I'm trying to lose around 10 pounds (I just lost 10 this past month). I eat a low carb diet (no bread, no pasta, no rice). I exercise 4-5 times a week.

I just don't know why my levels are so high ! what could I be doing wrong and how can I lower them ?? thanks so much to anyone that helps :)

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Well there is also a genetic component. How low are your carbs though? My understanding is that low carb may result in high resting blood glucose levels for some people.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    edited May 2015
    It takes AT LEAST 3 months for your a1c to lower if you have just recently changed your diet. This is how long it takes all of those cells to die that are still holding onto those sugars. So if you have changed your diet recently, don't freak out. Relay this info to your doctor and maybe they will retest your a1c in a few months.

But if you have been eating the no bread, no pasta, no rice diet for longer than that, wait and see what your doctor says.

Edit: Just because you are eating no breads, pastas, and rice doesn't mean you are eating low carb. Check all foods for carbs - beans and many vegetables are high carb. A steady stream of carbs doesn't necessarily raise your a1c. It is due to glycemic spikes and overloads usually.
  • lauradeluna_
    lauradeluna_ Posts: 19 Member
    Well there is also a genetic component. How low are your carbs though? My understanding is that low carb may result in high resting blood glucose levels for some people.

my carbs are usually around 80g per day now, mostly from fruits and vegetables... it used to be around 200g. I started eating low carb around march

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Diabetes is not just about being overweight. I know a vegetarian who eats completely healthy and is of normal weight, plus she hikes (hikes! On hills!) almost every day. Including 15-20 miles a day on Saturdays at 3 mph. Yet she has diabetes. Genetic for her. You need to work with your doc or a dietician/nutritionist.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You can do everything right and still end up insulin resistant. Like another has mentioned, you might have a genetic/family trait. Continue to eat like a diabetic, never skipping meals, and you can delay onset of symptoms for a long, long time.

pred_vs_diabetes.png

Metformin can be very helpful to bring down the sugar numbers.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member

my carbs are usually around 80g per day now, mostly from fruits and vegetables... it used to be around 200g. I started eating low carb around march

Just another point - I also had been eating around250 carbs (or more) per day for three months before I went in for blood work. It came in at 99 and I freaked. My doc said to cut back on the carbs (and spread them out). I was a total pizza hog. It's nothing for me to eat a full 1/2 deep dish in one sitting (plus sodas). I've been off the soda for a while, but doc warned me that it could have had an effect. It's never been high before this time. I've been charting food since (well, 280 or so days) and the last month my carb intake has been around 100 per day and divided out. I saw a dietician who also said that the liver can put out quite a bit of glucose if you don't have enough carbs (I did, so that wasn't my issue). But the liver can make it look like you are insulin resistant sometimes if you aren't balanced in the way your own body works. Yes, genetic component also. Doc wants me to re-test in six months to ensure that my lower-carb eating has a chance to take effect. I expect it will come in lower - excited to see. It would be interesting to see how yours changes now that you are changing your intake.
  • lauradeluna_
    My grandmother has diabetes so it could be genetic, but I guess I'm just worried that I will have to start taking medications for this... because I don't eat horribly ! but I'd rather not have to take medications :/
  • jgnatca
    Metformin is an easy one. When I was younger I never thought I'd be able to handle a pill regimen. But it turns out I can!

With my weight loss I am off all medications but they've been replaced with a similar raft of vitamins. Pills aren't the end of the world and they can help a lot!
  • lauradeluna_

Edit: Just because you are eating no breads, pastas, and rice doesn't mean you are eating low carb. Check all foods for carbs - beans and many vegetables are high carb. A steady stream of carbs doesn't necessarily raise your a1c. It is due to glycemic spikes and overloads usually.[/quote]

I eat around 80g of total carbs per day which isn't exactly keto or anything but it's a lot lower than what I used to eat, idk how many grams per day is actuallu considered low carb

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    This is something you'll have to work out with your doctor but I'd recommend picking up a cheap glucose meter and testing your blood sugar an hour and two hours after each meal for a week so you know how you're responding to food -- that's important information. Also be sure to mention that you're eating a low carb diet (ETA: anything under 130g is low carb) to your doctor in case they want to do an oral glucose tolerance test.

In the meantime, you might find something of interest to you in these two articles. Best wishes. :)

High HbA1c with Low Blood Sugar
    and
    Why your “normal” blood sugar isn’t normal (Part 2)
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Your numbers are not really bad odds are with some exercise and a little diet change and you will be fine
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Woman with diabetes that I mentioned in my previous post successfully controls her diabetes without medication. So far, anyway. It can be done.
  • eseeton
    My grandmother has diabetes so it could be genetic, but I guess I'm just worried that I will have to start taking medications for this... because I don't eat horribly ! but I'd rather not have to take medications :/

I would wait and talk to your doctor. There are dietary changes you can try before rushing into medications. Meeting with a dietician would help tremendously. Good luck :smile:
  • kevcren
    kevcren Posts: 49 Member
    hey all, I just want some advice on what to do now that I know my blood test results.

so in April I got a general blood test for my insurance that tested basically everything. all my levels were great, EXCEPT my fasting glucose was high (104).
    last week my doctor and I decided to test my hemoglobin A1C levels since my glucose was high and it's at 5.7

I go to the doctor again on the 23rd to go over my A1C, but I'm just so upset.

I'm a 23 year old female, 5'7 and 145 pounds. I'm trying to lose around 10 pounds (I just lost 10 this past month). I eat a low carb diet (no bread, no pasta, no rice). I exercise 4-5 times a week.

I just don't know why my levels are so high ! what could I be doing wrong and how can I lower them ?? thanks so much to anyone that helps :)

Im not sure why! but i do know my friend reversed it and got off his high blood pressure meds too! Did the dr tell you what to do? do you have a plan youre going to follow?
  • defadonna
    defadonna Posts: 13 Member
    I just got confirmed diabetes today type 2 and have to take 500mg metaformin x2 daily. The diabetic doctor said to me today that metaformin is the only drug that will treat the diabetes and make you loose weight. All other tablets make you gain weight. She also is referring me to a dietitian to help with understanding a "GI Diet" plan as she said that's the best diet to follow for sugar control.
  • lauradeluna_

kevcren wrote: »
    Im not sure why! but i do know my friend reversed it and got off his high blood pressure meds too! Did the dr tell you what to do? do you have a plan youre going to follow?

I see her the 23rd, so i wont know for sure until then. but it seemed like she wanted to work on my diet first. idk if she will want to do more testing, if there even is anything else that we could test
  • lauradeluna_
    defadonna wrote: »
    I just got confirmed diabetes today type 2 and have to take 500mg metaformin x2 daily. The diabetic doctor said to me today that metaformin is the only drug that will treat the diabetes and make you loose weight. All other tablets make you gain weight. She also is referring me to a dietitian to help with understanding a "GI Diet" plan as she said that's the best diet to follow for sugar control.

does GI stand for gastrointestinal ? what is the diet like ?

• jgnatca
    Someone mentioned the two hour glucose tolerance test (GTT). You could get this done besides the A1C.

Bottom line, despite your best efforts you could still develop insulin resistance/diabetes. Nevertheless, the efforts you are making to eat well will all pay off in the way of delayed symptoms.
  • eseeton
    defadonna wrote: »

does GI stand for gastrointestinal ? what is the diet like ?

Glycemic Index diet
  • lauradeluna_
    epawelek wrote: »

Glycemic Index diet
    oh duh lol