Gym Etiquette?!

Options

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    motzey2000 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mess with her. I complained once about someone who wouldn't get off the treadmill when her time was up. They asked her to get off. She moved over to another machine and I was getting up to speed, she turned off my machine. I stumbled off, luckily not hurting myself. She was banned from the gym.

Holy what a DB move.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP, ask politely if you can jump in or ask them to let you know when they are done so they know you are waiting. Both have always worked for me.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    I have a personal beef with whoever left that one treadmill running at whoknowswhat/mph.

...because I had my headphones on and didn't see the damn thing was moving and I took a hell of a fall. I still have a scar on my shin.

YES I know, I should've been paying closer attention, but who the hell jumps off a treadmill while it's still running???!

Who jumps on a treadmill without looking at what state it's in first? Wow.

Please see the above bolded comment please and thank you.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    motzey2000 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mess with her. I complained once about someone who wouldn't get off the treadmill when her time was up. They asked her to get off. She moved over to another machine and I was getting up to speed, she turned off my machine. I stumbled off, luckily not hurting myself. She was banned from the gym.

That's terrible :(
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    this is relevant to the discussion:
    https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/12-gym-etiquette-commandments

You never know when you might talk to crazy though, so unless you're willing to put someone on the other side of the dirt using a dumbbell, just move on to different things.

I read that article, and while I agree almost completely, I find his attitude towards women's gym attire disturbing. People shouldn't care what others wear, women, and men, should be entitled to wear whatever gym clothes trey find comfortable. But mysogeny is so engrained in everyone's subconsious that we just continue to blame women becuae their bodies are just good for one thing: sexual attractiveness. BS.
    Women should wear whatever they want to the gym. When what she wear molds to every crease and crevice in her body, though, she shouldn't be surprised when she garners attention. The same for men. And let's not pretend that men aren't ogled for their bodies, too, but not as many people know the word "misandry."

The issue here is not, "is she being ogled". The issue is the article saying she should not dress in form fitting clothing because it is "distracting". It also seems to assume a woman who dresses this way is motivated by a desire to provoke sexual response not by a desire to wear what is comfortable and they like.
    I wasn't agreeing with the article. You can tell because I said women should wear whatever they want and the article didn't.

• shrinkingletters
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a personal beef with whoever left that one treadmill running at whoknowswhat/mph.

...because I had my headphones on and didn't see the damn thing was moving and I took a hell of a fall. I still have a scar on my shin.

YES I know, I should've been paying closer attention, but who the hell jumps off a treadmill while it's still running???!

So no answer? lol. Tell me someone has video of it?

I almost wish I had video of my tumble. It was pretty spectacular in itself, and then I still got back on and ran 5miles.

Edit: You know, the messed up thing is that no one laughed or even acknowledged it. I was the only one having a good laugh at myself and I promise I've yet to walk in this distracted to my gym again. Hard lesson, learned: don't assume the dang thing is off.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    OP you sound pretty reasonable, not everyone is like that but when it does happen it's ok to ask to work in. People need to learn how to share or how to at least let others work in inbetween sets if they need long breaks.

People can be pretty rude from the other side of this situation as well. I was using the squat rack one day and after my first set an older man comes by and rudely asks if I'm done with the squat rack / if he could use it. I politely let him know that I have 4 more sets to go (Squats, strong lifts 5x5) and this dude stood next to my rack, gave me the stink eye, and huffed and puffed throughout the remainder of my sets. I can understand the frustration of having to wait for the squat rack but this guy was ridiculous. Normally I offer to let people work in with me but he was rude from the beginning and didn't give me the chance.

I refuse to speed up my workout any more than reasonable to accommodate someone especially if they are being rude. My gym also had 3 squat racks with the other two folks being there longer than I was, so I didn't understand this dude's problem.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

So no answer? lol. Tell me someone has video of it?

I almost wish I had video of my tumble. It was pretty spectacular in itself, and then I still got back on and ran 5miles.

Edit: You know, the messed up thing is that no one laughed or even acknowledged it. I was the only one having a good laugh at myself and I promise I've yet to walk in this distracted to my gym again. Hard lesson, learned: don't assume the dang thing is off.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm loving your attitude about the whole thing! In your defense, there is a guy at my gym that's there the same time I am every day and he comes in, turns the treadmill on FULL SPEED, then wanders around, gets a towel, adjusts his ear buds, sets up a book or magazine, turns on the TV, etc. and then gets on the machine. Why??? Does he count all that time towards his workout, or what? I don't get it. But, yes, people do leave the treadmills on and then walk away.
  • NinstonBiller
    NinstonBiller Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just ask "Hey, is it cool if i hop in or are you going to be much longer?" When at the gym most people are so off in their own world they forget they are in a shared space.

I once encountered a guy at the gym who spent an entire hour on the flat bench. My workout revolved around using flat bench. I waited patiently and never said anything. I continued with the rest of my chest and tricep workout. By the time he left i was too fatigued to full complete my chest set; ultimately ruining my experience. Since then i've always just asked if i could work in with them or if they were done.

Most people want to avoid confrontation too so they'll just give the machine up and leave it to you.

Please, Thanks and a smile is icing on the cake too.
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this isn't only the gym I go to lol !!! If I see someone who is seriously, just texting and I want the machine, I go up to them and ask how many more sets and depending on the answer, work in with them. I don't have time to wait an extra 15-20 minutes cause you need to text and or be on facebook !
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ive been annoyed on this, but if im using machines then the gym I go to has multiple ones. Where they dont then i know which ones get busy so as soon as I see them free I give them priority.

Where someone is having a sleep, day dreaming or just surfing the net, then I will find soemthing else to do, if I need that machine, then id just politely ask them how many sets and then wait. They normally know they are hogging so it gets them moving again. I can also give them the stare of not impressed move yourself on buddy which will also work. The key is I dont get wound up about it. If someones waiting for me and I know them or they ask nicely, as soon as im finished I go and get them. Im normally quick anyway. Tend not to swap sets with them as it takes longer.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so thankful for my gym...

And even more thankful I don't still go to the one full of *kitten* that I used to use.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've only said something to a group of 20-something "bros" that were taking up 4-5 benches and most of the 40lb and under dumbbells. Friday during the summer, add living on the NJ Shore and you have people that only work out on Friday so they can get ready for The Club... lol

They were loud and spent most of their time sitting down, talking, Facebook and 20 reps of 25lb weights. I finally asked the ones at the end bench to work in and they grunted and moved a few benches over.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've only said something to a group of 20-something "bros" that were taking up 4-5 benches and most of the 40lb and under dumbbells. Friday during the summer, add living on the NJ Shore and you have people that only work out on Friday so they can get ready for The Club... lol

They were loud and spent most of their time sitting down, talking, Facebook and 20 reps of 25lb weights. I finally asked the ones at the end bench to work in and they grunted and moved a few benches over.

I encountered similar bros recently, but in addition to tying up three machines, they were also busy taking selfies in the mirror. It took about 10 minutes to convince them to let me work in...turns out I lift about twice as much as any of them do. :)

I've never seen them before or since. :wink:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Merci4u wrote: »
    The one thing I find the worst is people who don't wipe down the equipment. I have to breath in your sweaty air, I don't want to sit in it too.

How about the sweaty old men who use their nasty towel to wipe down the machines instead of the gym provided paper towels and disinfectant spray!!

I watched a guy do this a couple times then took him the spray and paper towels and asked him to use that not his sweaty towel. He was quite indignant.

A few nights later I saw another old man doing something similar...only he was reusing a paper towel on several machines ( again not using the spray)

WTH do these old coots have against disinfectant? ??

The lack of disinfectant will not kill you. I happened to visit an old school gym on vacation that was home to several Mr Olympia contenders. This place was in a warm weather city and the gym had no A/C ) , no spray bottles or wipes in sight. What was in sight were a few of the most muscular men most people have ever seen, a couple female fittness competitors (with figures most women on the planet would die for) and some regular Joes and Janes doing work and not concerned about wiping anything.

It's still gross, and our gym management requests that we wipe down the machines when we are finished with disinfectant. I don't care if they are Mr Universe. I don't like other people's sweat!
  • TerraThomas1
    TerraThomas1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Since the topic is Gym Etiquette, I have an unrelated question for all you gym go-ers. Is it rude to watch Netflix, hulu, etc without ear buds?

For instance, you are the only one in the room and watching an episode of whatever, someone walks in to work out as well and you do not turn your tablet off or put in ear buds.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Since the topic is Gym Etiquette, I have an unrelated question for all you gym go-ers. Is it rude to watch Netflix, hulu, etc without ear buds?

For instance, you are the only one in the room and watching an episode of whatever, someone walks in to work out as well and you do not turn your tablet off or put in ear buds.

IMO, yes. It would irritate me. People do this in the break room and I want to whack them with my lunch bag.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Yeah it's rude. Generally speaking you can do what ever you want in the gym when nobody is there but if it is a shared space you should be prepared to put on the ear buds when someone comes into the room.
  • shrinkingletters
    edited May 2015
    Options

Absolutely. I remember watching the Daredevil series on the elliptical (no, not all at once, though that would've been a unique binge session). I shudder to think if I were anyone else and someone spoiled it for me because they wouldn't wear earbuds!
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate rude people at the gym! I started going to a really small "trainer's gym" instead of a big gym. You have to have a trainer to workout there. It sucks when it's crowded because of the size, but for the most part, it's really nice because not as many people go and since everyone has a trainer or IS a trainer, the gym etiquette is on point and people get in and out quickly.