Should I lose weight first?

Options
My current goal is to lose 15 pounds but I have been losing weight (my first 5 pounds) mostly by eating well and doing cardio. If I want to tone my muscles a bit should I start now? Or lose first then tone up? :)

Thanks guys- Feel free to add me, I'm always looking for people on my weight loss team ;)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well you don't tone but yes start resistance/weight training now.

I started after I had lost half my weight and I really wish I had started sooner.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Start resistance training as soon as possible. I did it concurrently with weight loss and am delighted with the results
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes, start now!! I also did it while losing weight, so glad I did
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Start yesterday.
  • GoodlifeJ
    GoodlifeJ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Well you don't tone but yes start resistance/weight training now.

I started after I had lost half my weight and I really wish I had started sooner.

Good to know! Thank you :)
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    Yes, start now!! I also did it while losing weight, so glad I did

Awesome, I'll start now then! :)
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    Start yesterday.

Lol I guess we'll have to do with "asap"
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Start resistance training as soon as possible. I did it concurrently with weight loss and am delighted with the results

Sweet, good for you!! :) thanks for the advice!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I did weight training as part of my plan. I think that is why I didn't end up with a lot of hanging skin.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Do it now. I have been weightlifting at least 1x a week (sometimes 2) since February and I just started doing it 4x a week and I wish I would have done that sooner.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Come lift heavy things :) You will love it!!!!!
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Well first off, "toning" is a myth. We all have muscle, and we can show it off by losing the body fat that's covering it up and build muscle by doing bulking and cutting cycles or through recomp. Lifting helps improve strength, build muscle, and defines muscle.

But as for the answer to your question....start now, I promise you won't regret it.
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    Well first off, "toning" is a myth. We all have muscle, and we can show it off by losing the body fat that's covering it up and build muscle by doing bulking and cutting cycles or through recomp. Lifting helps improve strength, build muscle, and defines muscle.

But as for the answer to your question....start now, I promise you won't regret it.

Perfect, thanks so much for the knowledge :)
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    Marcia661 wrote: »

Heheh lifting heavy things does sound fun
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    GoodlifeJ wrote: »
    Marcia661 wrote: »

Heheh lifting heavy things does sound fun

• GoodlifeJ
    Options
    Do it now. I have been weightlifting at least 1x a week (sometimes 2) since February and I just started doing it 4x a week and I wish I would have done that sooner.

Awesome, good to know, thanks :)
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    I did weight training as part of my plan. I think that is why I didn't end up with a lot of hanging skin.

Oh good for you :)!! Thanks!
  • steffydill
    steffydill Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good to know...just the question I was going to ask!! Will get my butt off to gym and lift some weights then
  • GoodlifeJ
    Options
    steffydill wrote: »
    Good to know...just the question I was going to ask!! Will get my butt off to gym and lift some weights then

Lol guess we don't have the choice now
  • PeanutbutterBang
    PeanutbutterBang Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and was wondering the same thing - glad I saw your post OP, this all seems like some solid advice. My main concern was that the muscle gains would affect my weekly weigh-ins and body fat loss would be harder to track. I'd reach my goal weight a lot more slowly I suppose, but it's probably better to monitor your goals in body measurements and how you look/feel than what the scale says. Plus extra muscle = extra calorie burns (not to mention extra sexy) :wink:
    Thanks for all the advice people! I'm a rookie so if anything I've said makes you facepalm please alert me to my novice ways. I like to learn new things, it's why I'm here. :)