Stretch marks and weighing oneself?

Options
So, I made a decision when I started this journey a couple of months ago that I wouldn't weigh myself until a specific old pair of jeans (and a skirt) fit me comfortably. I know myself too well. The scales can be a huge demotivator for me. I was roughly 122kg when I started.

I can see I'm losing weight now. My size 24 "fat jeans" (as I called them) fall off now. Miles too big. So I went to a size 22 and now - a month later - they're falling off. There's also a difference in my face. I log EVERYTHING.

But I don't get it... I've suddenly got stretch marks around my waist, thighs and boobs that have just appeared. I get them appearing when you've PUT ON weight but have never heard of them appearing when you're losing it. It's kind of freaked me out and now I'm worried that I'm kidding myself about my losses as there's no scale to prove it to me.

Suggestions? Advice?

Replies

• RNChristie33
    RNChristie33 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been a little frustrated because my stretch marks which are all very old have started to become more and more apparent as I lose weight... When my fat was kind of pushing them out, they weren't as noticable but as my weight as gone down, they are sticking up more, and feel like big ol wrinkles! I was discouraged by that, and when I was looking online for information about it, I saw A LOT of things saying people were getting new marks as they were losing weight. So I don't have really any suggestions or advice, but you're not alone. Are they new? Like red/purple? Or are they silver, like old ones, that maybe you're just seeing better? Anyway, don't know if that helps, but congrats on your weight loss so far! Sounds like you're doing great! I don't blame you for staying away from the scale- it's the devil in disguise! LOL :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I've gotten them from gaining and losing. I even have them on my shoulders. (I don't see many women with stretch marks on shoulders) so your not alone. I just have learned to accept them somewhat and when I absolutely have to, I pack sunless tanner on them to help hide them when they will be exposed in the summer time. My sister also got them when she lost weight on her thighs an belly
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm 43 and my concern was turkey-neck. Turkey-Neck ladies!! Trust me, lose the weight now while your skin is young and has time to heal. Otherwise, just get over it, keep succeeding and your body will catch up eventually. Don't get discouraged!!
  • johnsonkristeen01
    johnsonkristeen01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had stretch marks and they're kind of a silvery color how do I get rid of them
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Mine are getting more prominent as my belly and thighs shrinks. Maybe because they are closer together and the skin is looser. I'm not expecting mine to go away. Alas.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks suck. I have them and I'm 22.

However, there's a certain power in learning not to care about them. I know it sounds dumb, but once you accept them as a part of you- it's easier not to care. I have this "oh, hi, I forgot about you" relationship with mine. I think I once had a guy point them out to me and I just blinked and said "I have no idea what you're talking about, this is my skin" and he backed off.

Also: I like my stretch marks there better than the fat that was....
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks suck. I have them and I'm 22.

However, there's a certain power in learning not to care about them. I know it sounds dumb, but once you accept them as a part of you- it's easier not to care. I have this "oh, hi, I forgot about you" relationship with mine. I think I once had a guy point them out to me and I just blinked and said "I have no idea what you're talking about, this is my skin" and he backed off.

Also: I like my stretch marks there better than the fat that was....

I am the same way i used to care about them A LOT but honestly after 2 kids my belly and hips every square inch is COVERED in white marks i mean COVERED i genuinely don't care I have bigger problems like my weight. When i get to a place where i can weak a bikini i don't care how my skin looks if my belly is small and cute i'm going to wear those marks with pride. I think i feel that way because being overweight is way way way way more horrifying than having white lines on my skin. 15 years from now they will prob be gone so who cares you are who you are your marks are a part of you loose the weight and gain confidence despite the marks you gain. By gaining them its pretty much proof that because of willpower and work you lost the weight.