Starting to eat and exercise according to my blood type and hoping to achieve my weight loss goal!

Options

Replies

• MelissaLsmith93
    MelissaLsmith93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never considered eating in accordance to your blood type. I'll have a look into this. I'm O- and it would definitely be fun to look into. ☺
  • DuncWinter
    DuncWinter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Diet for blood type...? Huh!?
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Next they will be saying eat to your hair colour or the colour of your skin. All foods are good for you if takes in "normal" and not supersize portions. I ate absolutely everything growing up and never gained weight after my third child was born I was still a uk size12-14. It wasn't until after i had my fourth child and stopped breastfeeding that i started to gain weight. You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit and making healthy choices.

I'm sorry OP but I don't believe this diet, so I won't be joining you but I wish you luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I googled it. I so do NOT eat for my blood type apparently! Apparently I'm supposed to be a vegetarian who eats a lot of grains. Yeah, no.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    What are the break downs for blood types?

"Everyone does not have the same basic nutritional needs. We all know someone who is a strict vegetarian and thrives on that diet, while others swear by Atkins or similar low-carb plans. Your nutritional needs can be determined by your blood type. Take a look at the food lists in Eat Right 4 Your Type, they are a guide for choosing the foods that will allow you to lose weight, reduce inflammation, increase energy and lead a longer, healthier life. 

I first heard of this diet from a naturopathy Doctor who was giving a speech at a conference I was at. She told her experience with it. According to her bloodtype, she should be primarily vegetarian (I can't remember the exact breakdown), so she switched. She said she lost weight, her skin was glowing, people were commenting all the time. Then she was telling her mother about it. Turns out, she was mistaken about her bloodtype and was eating the wrong diet. She should have actually been eating pretty much the opposite.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I have never seen the blood type dicsussed on mfp in the context of actually following. I'm intrigued.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

"Everyone does not have the same basic nutritional needs. We all know someone who is a strict vegetarian and thrives on that diet, while others swear by Atkins or similar low-carb plans. Your nutritional needs can be determined by your blood type. Take a look at the food lists in Eat Right 4 Your Type, they are a guide for choosing the foods that will allow you to lose weight, reduce inflammation, increase energy and lead a longer, healthier life. 

I first heard of this diet from a naturopathy Doctor who was giving a speech at a conference I was at. She told her experience with it. According to her bloodtype, she should be primarily vegetarian (I can't remember the exact breakdown), so she switched. She said she lost weight, her skin was glowing, people were commenting all the time. Then she was telling her mother about it. Turns out, she was mistaken about her bloodtype and was eating the wrong diet. She should have actually been eating pretty much the opposite.

*snork*
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's bunk. But, if you want to follow a restrictive diet and it helps with your other symptoms, go for it. Best of luck.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    The only one that sounds remotely reasonable is the O type. And even that's a stretch. Type A isn't allowed meat at all.

OP - maybe you should try creating a reasonable deficit and sticking to it? It's gotten me 78 pounds lighter!

I also prefer this method. Lost 58 lbs and I've also lost 23 of the 24.6 lbs of pregnancy weight on top of that. Calorie deficit will always be the winner.

Wow that's an amazing transformation! Definitely keeping my options open.

Moderate consistent calorie deficit to lose weight.

Exercise is not needed for weight loss but it sure does help a lot. Weight train to try to maintain muscle during calorie deficit. That is all that is needed. If you like cardio you can do some to eat more and to raise aerobic capacity for just everyday living.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    If I ate according to my blood type, I'm wouldn't get near enough fiber I need to help with my high cholesterol. Good luck with it OP... =)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options

:lol:

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    No reputable doctor would recommend this diet. There is no peer-reviewed scientific studies that support it either. The antigens in your blood has no effect determining what you should or should not eat. Eat in a deficit....use a food scale and weight all your food. Exercise for fitness (most people tend to WAY over estimate the amount of calories burned while exercising!) If after that you're still not losing weight then see your doctor to have your hormone levels checked.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Type O blood: A high-protein diet heavy on lean meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables, and light on grains, beans, and dairy. D'Adamo also recommends various supplements to help with tummy troubles and other issues he says people with type O tend to have.

As a lifelong vegetarian, with no plans to change. I'm going to continue eating my grains, beans and dairy. I call 'too vague' on this "diet"
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I looked into it before I started MFP because I really wanted something besides calorie restriction to work. However, I decided that I'd rather be a little bit overweight than give up all the food it wanted me to stop eating (blood type B).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh this should be interesting. Please, OP, explain how the antigens in my blood type respond differently to different macro breakdowns in food and therefore impact the way that my body processes those calories?

• WinoGelato
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I heard you're much better off eating and exercising for your astrological sign.
    Agreed. That chart was quite confusing to me though. I'm still not sure whether I'm supposed to be eating lions or hunting down wildebeests.

I have a November birthday. Am I supposed to be eating scorpions? Damn. Better pack up and move to southeast Asia.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    I googled it. Here's a snippet from my blood type:

Type A History

The Type A emerges into the 21st century with many more complex challenges than their ancestors could have imagined. The key factor in the development of Type A can be traced to the struggle for survival long ago, when there was a rapidly dwindling supply of hunting game stock. Having exhausted the great game herds of Africa, humans pushed farther out from their ancestral home into Europe and Asia. The cultivation of grains and livestock changed everything. For the first time, people were able to forego the hand to mouth lifestyle of the hunter/gatherer and establish stable communities. Over time the adaptations that produced Blood Type A were based on the need to fully utilize nutrients from carbohydrate sources. These biological adaptations can still be observed today in Type A's digestive structure. Low levels of hydrochloric acid in the stomach and high intestinal disaccharide digestive enzyme levels permit the more efficient digestion of carbohydrates. According to Dr. D'Adamo, these are also the very factors, along with low levels of intestinal alkaline phosphatase, that make it difficult for Type As to digest and metabolize animal protein and fat.

What Makes Type A Unique

Many neurochemical factors in the Type A genetic disposition favor a structured, rhythmic, harmonious life, surrounded by a positive, supportive community. The harried pace and increased sense of isolation experienced by so many in today's society often make these needs difficult to achieve. Type A best exemplifies the powerful interconnections between mind and body. This was vital to the shift away from hunting and procurement to building and growing. However, Type A's more internalized relationship to stress, which served your ancestors well, can be a challenge for the modern Type A. The Blood Type Diet's proactive mix of lifestyle strategies, hormonal equalizers, gentle exercise and specialized dietary guidelines will maximize your overall health; decrease your natural risk factors for cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The result: high performance, mental clarity, greater vitality and increased longevity.

Type A Diet

"When we discuss 'diet,' we are not talking necessarily about a weight loss plan, that's a side benefit to following this plan. We are actually discussing diet in the more traditional sense, meaning a way to eat," explains, Dr. D'Adamo. Type As flourish on a vegetarian diet - if you are accustomed to eating meat, you will lose weight and have more energy once you eliminate the toxic foods from your diet. Many people find it difficult to move away from the typical meat and potato fare to soy proteins, grains and vegetables. But it is particularly important for sensitive Type As to eat their foods in as natural a state as possible: pure, fresh and organic. "I can't emphasize enough how this critical dietary adjustment can be to the sensitive immune system of Type A. With this diet you can supercharge your immune system and potentially short circuit the development of life threatening diseases."

Handling Stress

In this busy, ever changing world, it's almost impossible to avoid every day stress. Type As have a naturally high level of the stress hormone cortisol and produce more in response to stressful situations. Cortisol is released in 24-hour patterns, typically in the early morning between six and eight A.M. with a gradual decrease during the day. It helps to cue the body's other cyclical rhythms. Due to the naturally elevated cortisol in type As, additional stress often manifests in several ways; disrupted sleep patterns, daytime brain fog, increased blood viscosity (thickening), and promotes muscle loss and fat gain. In extreme cases in Type As, stress can manifest in more serious ways, causing obsessive-compulsive disorder, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism. To help balance cortisol levels, Dr. D'Adamo recommends that you limit sugar, caffeine and alcohol. Don't skip meals, especially breakfast; eating smaller, more frequent meals will also help to stabilize blood sugar levels. He also points out that the following factors are known to increase cortisol levels and increase mental exhaustion for Type As - be aware and limit your exposure when possible:
    Crowds of people
    Loud noise
    Negative emotions
    Smoking
    Strong smells or perfumes
    Too much sugar and starch
    Overwork
    Violent TV and movies
    Lack of sleep
    Extreme weather conditions (hot or cold)

Oh this is amazing! I have been doing it ALL WRONG! Talk about the ultimate shirking of responsibility - if I get fat it is because of the sociological evolution of my ancestors moving from individualized hunter/gatherers to agricultural based communities...

Oh and I should probably go tell my boss that I need to limit my exposure to negative emotions and overwork.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Snap, crackle, pop - I am in for this one!!!!!!!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I heard you're much better off eating and exercising for your astrological sign.

Nooooooooo I got fat on this diet. I'm a Gemini and we're supposed to eat two of everything??? 0/10 would not recommend
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    there's no science behind this but don't let that stop you