Plank challenge

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    I've just done my first ever plank lol. I managed 20 seconds of wobblyness. Does anyone else shake and wobble like a bowl of jelly or is that just me?!

Yep! I'm a wobbler too :+1::bigsmile:

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    :p oh so glad it's not just me. I swear if my husband had walked in the room he'd have thought I was having a seizure lol
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    one wobbler here too!
  • webrat_jen
    Options
    day 7 strength test result - 50secs! please bear in mind i have been planking before this week, but i'm pretty chuffed with how strong it was. i lost my footing, rather than lost form, so i will try again this evening (with some decent shoes on!) and see if i can get to a full minute.
  • heidim44444
    heidim44444 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great result, webrat_jen! I also think that having good shoes on helps a lot.

Today was day 7 for me too, and I did 60 seconds. I started at 43, so I am also very pleased with the result!
  • webrat_jen
    Options
    i hit 60 seconds today, before starting the day 8 challenge. it was a hard minute, but i am proper pleased!
    and after 5 bouts of plank holding i am ready for a cup of tea. think i totaled about 3 minutes 20, with rests inbetween today.
    well done heidim!
  • heidim44444
    Options
    Yay Jen!

Did day with 30 second reps. It was very hard. I was surprised how quickly the 45 seconds of rest in between went!
  • LaydieJo
    LaydieJo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds intruiging ! What's the plank challenge?! and yes I am a wobbler too after about 20 seconds I start shaking ...
  • webrat_jen
    Options
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-30-day-plank-challenge/
    this is the 30 day plank challenge. you can join in at anytime, but we started at the beginning of the month. it aims to work on your plank and core strenght.
  • heidim44444
    Options
    Join in, LaydieJo!
  • webrat_jen
    Options
    whoa, side planks are tricky. i think i might repeat this set again (day 9 - side planks 4x each side) later on the in an attempt to make mine a little stronger. also, i found doing the side plank with boots on really helped.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this too, tomorrow is my day 7 time test. My original test time was 63 secs for a forearm plank, 73 for extended arm, but most of my yoga practices have planks in them so I'm not a complete beginner. When I first started doing yoga back in January I collapsed in a heap first time I tried a side plank :p.
  • heidim44444
    Options
    Today is day 9, I did the side planks, 15 seconds each. They were a touch easier this time, but I am much more stable on one side and more wobbly on the other.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    @heidim44444, I find that with most yoga balancing poses. Mostly it's just a difference in the strength of your muscles from one side to the other. I also wobble more if I'm tired or hungry, and also if my alignment is off a bit or my core isn't engaged properly. Your stability will improve with time :).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    And checking in with me Day 7 time - 1 min 48 :D
  • heidim44444
    Options
    Great improvement, nony_mouse! Thanks for the info about the poses. I do not do yoga, so I had no way of knowing.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Thanks, I'm mighty impressed with myself! The trick to planks really is in getting your core engaged. Once you nail it it's like 'ohhh, that's how it's done'. I also recommend having your feet about hip width apart for greater stability.
  • heidim44444
    Options
    I did day 10 today. It felt harder than I thought and I will be happy to have a rest day tomorrow! I do notice my core muscles more now, so I am really happy to have found this challenge to get stronger.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Six reps, yeah I imagine you're feeling it!! It is amazing how quickly the strength builds though :)
  • webrat_jen
    Options
    nony_mouse, the tip for better stability is great!
    today was hard work! my strength gave out once, and i did not manage the full length of time for the sides, which was a bit disappointing, but when i look back to where i was at the beginning i feel a lot better.