Day 2

Options
jkenglish61
jkenglish61 Posts: 15 Member
I'm on day 2. I am feeling hungry and have to hold back from throwing in the towel. My daily intake is 1200 cal. I've been making protein shakes and eating vegetables. This afternoon I decided to eat celery with PB. What is a good snack and what can I do about my hunger.

Replies

• jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    chug (I mean you will most likely have to force yourself to do this) water - I have a 32 oz bottle and when I feel myself getting hungry, I force myself to drink two of those before I eat since many times dehydration can mask as hunger. After drinking that water I will usually not be as hungry if I still am hungry and then I always go for a green apple (add peanut 1 tbsp of peanut butter for a more filling snack). Think of it as slowly tackling your hunger so you don't get too hungry and eat too much. I love the saying - if you're hungry eat an apple - if you're not hungry enough for an apple you're not hungry:)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, at 1200 calories you're probably going to be pretty miserable. That's a pretty aggressive calorie goal and not sustainable for most people. Remember if you really want to eat that little you should be eating back your exercise calories too.
  • jkenglish61
    Options
    I agree. According to my age and weight goal of 2 lbs/week, my calorie intake is 1200. When I eat fruit, I go over my sugar goal. Veggies have too many carbs. Urgggg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree. According to my age and weight goal of 2 lbs/week, my calorie intake is 1200. When I eat fruit, I go over my sugar goal. Veggies have too many carbs. Urgggg

How much do you want to lose?
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

You shouldn't be hungry....as for the macro goals those are minimums so don't worry about going over.

This all being said, try eating more protein and fats and fibre. They will help you feel fuller longer.

For example every afternoon about 3:30 or 4 I eat a greek yogurt to get me through my workout and to dinner...works like a charm.

If you eat breakfast try a fruit smoothie and add in protein powder.
  • katlob
    katlob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm 66 years old - retired and happily married. I've been using MFP for a few weeks and am thrilled with my weight loss progress so far. My goal is to lose 2 lbs a week (for now) - so my daily calorie limit is at 1200. Surprisingly - I find that I have plenty to eat during the day and still am under my calorie intake most evenings. I REALLY enjoy food - and my meal plan is to have 3 meals and 3 snacks each day. I'm looking forward to continued success using MFP and meeting new friends! Have a great day!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would be hungry too.
  • jkenglish61
    Options
    I'd like to lose 60 lbs total. I'm drinking protein shakes morning and lunch. Today my hunger was better. Maybe the first week is tougher. I will keep trying. Thanks for the feedback.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oh no. You said the S word.

1 meal of actual food per day and 2 meals of shakes? No, just no.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I doubt this is sustainable.
  • jkenglish61
    Options
    Okay? So give me a little more information. Why No go on the shakes. I really want to get started with some noticeable weight lose
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake, almost daily. It is a supplement of protein, vitamins, fiber and extra greens that I enjoy as my breakfast. But, then I also usually have about 5-6 more small meals throughout the day. But that's just me and what I like to do.

You say you are already struggling and need motivation. Shakes are not a sustainable method of weight loss. Generally a person will be starving by the time they have their 1 big meal and end up eating way more than they would have just eating througout the day. Let's say that doesn't happen and you manage to maintain this plan for a couple of weeks. As soon as you stop using the shakes and go back to regular meals, you are probably going to regain all the weight lost because you did not learn portion control during the shake phase of your plan.

That was my 2 cents. But, I wish you the best.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've tried the shake thing and not sustainable. You have a dead pit in your stomach and you either snack all day trying not to chew your finger nails or you say screw it by dinner time and eat too much. Eventually you get tired of fighting it. You need to come up with a plan that will serve you well for the rest of your life. A healthy balanced diet with the proper portions. Start that now and it will be easier to maintain your weight later. Check out my diary. I'm do a whole foods kind of diet. Just basically taking out all the junk. With 1200 calories there is no room for junk. I just recently added one protein shake in the more to ensure I'm get the proper nutrition for the day. I try to get as low carb as I can but I'm not going to sacrifice nutrition to do it. Add me as a friend and we can discuss meal plans. Good luck.
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Stick with it as it get easier I only allow myself 1050 calories a day it takes time for your body to adapt but drinking water helps & fresh fruit
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stick with it as it get easier I only allow myself 1050 calories a day it takes time for your body to adapt but drinking water helps & fresh fruit

tumblr_ltfmmvepmB1qg5ljqo1_400.gif
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

yeah....I'm not sure that's the best course of action. Being hungry all the time and starving your body is not something you really want to do for any length of time. Sure we all want to lose weight as fast as possible but whats the point if you give up, gain back the weight and you're back to square one? Instead we should strive for a balanced diet where I body is still getting the nutrition that it needs. I'm doing 1200 calories a day and I am already having a difficult time making sure I'm getting all the correct amount of protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, and minerals that a healthy body should have. Remember there is no point to weightloss if its going to come back.