Tips on losing weight without serious exercise?

Options
2456

Replies

  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

    Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

    It totally depends on your body. If I don't exercise, I can't lose or maintain. I gained 10 pounds last fall just having to take weight lifting out of my routine due to a broken hand. I was still walking, swimming (without arms :neutral: ), doing social dance and doing dance fitness. As soon as I was able to do the full lifting routine again, those pounds came right off.

    If you are older, have health issues, have a slower metabolism, etc., adding in exercise may be the only way to earn enough calories for a comfortable diet.

    Everybody is different--try lots of things and see what works for you. Since you haven't been able to keep weight off in the past, you may need to consider trying things that you haven't tried before.

    Think about what is sustainable for you over the long term. Are you going to be comfortable on 1250 calories a day for the rest of your life? Would you be able to get in an intense workout three times a week for the rest of your life?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

    No pretty much fact.

    Because exercise doesn't always help with weight loss...if you are not in a calorie deficit you can exercise all you want and not lose weight. Fact.

    Weight loss and exercise do not go hand in hand. Calorie deficit for weight loss...exercise for health and fitness. Fact

    and last but not least...Muscles don't get toned. Fact.

    not my fault you don't like being told you are wrong, but enough with this debate you are derailing this thread with your snit fit and I will no longer participate. You were wrong accept it and move on....
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't do much exercise and I'm losing weight. I go on a couple walks each day, some days I go on longer walks than others depending on what I plan to eat each day.

  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I recommend walking. I go for hour+ walks several times a week. I get to relax, explore, and listen to music while burning calories. It's also easily adjusted for difficulty (hills and speed) and I can feel my muscles sore the next day when I push myself.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat less than you are burning ...CICO
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

    Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

    It totally depends on your body. If I don't exercise, I can't lose or maintain. I gained 10 pounds last fall just having to take weight lifting out of my routine due to a broken hand. I was still walking, swimming (without arms :neutral: ), doing social dance and doing dance fitness. As soon as I was able to do the full lifting routine again, those pounds came right off.

    If you are older, have health issues, have a slower metabolism, etc., adding in exercise may be the only way to earn enough calories for a comfortable diet.

    Everybody is different--try lots of things and see what works for you. Since you haven't been able to keep weight off in the past, you may need to consider trying things that you haven't tried before.

    Think about what is sustainable for you over the long term. Are you going to be comfortable on 1250 calories a day for the rest of your life? Would you be able to get in an intense workout three times a week for the rest of your life?

    Then you weren't in a calorie deficit...that easy...eating more than you thought.


  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

    @whmscll ok - is exercise necessary for weight loss: yes, or no?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

    Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

    It totally depends on your body. If I don't exercise, I can't lose or maintain. I gained 10 pounds last fall just having to take weight lifting out of my routine due to a broken hand. I was still walking, swimming (without arms :neutral: ), doing social dance and doing dance fitness. As soon as I was able to do the full lifting routine again, those pounds came right off.

    If you are older, have health issues, have a slower metabolism, etc., adding in exercise may be the only way to earn enough calories for a comfortable diet.

    Everybody is different--try lots of things and see what works for you. Since you haven't been able to keep weight off in the past, you may need to consider trying things that you haven't tried before.

    Think about what is sustainable for you over the long term. Are you going to be comfortable on 1250 calories a day for the rest of your life? Would you be able to get in an intense workout three times a week for the rest of your life?

    Then you weren't in a calorie deficit...that easy...eating more than you thought.


    Nah, she has medical reasons.

  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As others have said, what is your definition of "serious exercise"?

    I may be reaching, but OP are you looking for some quick fix plan, food restriction, etc where you believe you can lose weight without putting in the time and energy to learn sustainable habits to not only lose weight but ultimately improve your overall health/fitness levels? Or do you have some injury or other exercise restriction that makes it difficult for you to achieve some level of exertion and that's why you are asking about "serious" exercise?

    As others have said, for weight loss, all that matters is that you are in a calorie deficit. CI < CO. How you create that calorie deficit is up to you, it can be done with diet alone, or it can be done by increasing your calories out part of the equation through physical exercise. Also as others have said, there are added benefits to exercise above and beyond helping you achieve the calorie deficit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

    @whmscll ok - is exercise necessary for weight loss: yes, or no?

    No, it is not. Weight loss is created by simply eating less calories than your body burns each day.

    That said exercise can help you either create a larger calorie deficit (so you'll lose weight more quickly) or give you more calories to eat each day.

    So, quite simply, follow MFP's calorie goal without exercise. After a week or two decide if you can live with eating so little. If not, add cardio exercises to get more calories to eat each day.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

    What you said wasn't misinformation and wasn't incorrect (other than perhaps using "tone" which is just silly because it was completely obvious what you meant).

    Thank you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

    @whmscll ok - is exercise necessary for weight loss: yes, or no?

    No, it is not. Weight loss is created by simply eating less calories than your body burns each day.

    That said exercise can help you either create a larger calorie deficit (so you'll lose weight more quickly) or give you more calories to eat each day.

    So, quite simply, follow MFP's calorie goal without exercise. After a week or two decide if you can live with eating so little. If not, add cardio exercises to get more calories to eat each day.

    it was a yes or no question ...

    and was not addressed at you ...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

    @whmscll ok - is exercise necessary for weight loss: yes, or no?

    No, it is not. Weight loss is created by simply eating less calories than your body burns each day.

    That said exercise can help you either create a larger calorie deficit (so you'll lose weight more quickly) or give you more calories to eat each day.

    So, quite simply, follow MFP's calorie goal without exercise. After a week or two decide if you can live with eating so little. If not, add cardio exercises to get more calories to eat each day.

    it was a yes or no question ...

    and was not addressed at you ...

    Apologies. I wasn't paying attention and assumed you were the OP. Although I wasn't sure why a question already answered a dozen times was being asked yet again.

    Rather than hijacking someone else's thread you should probably have privately messaged the person you were asking.

    And there's no need to be rude. We're all here trying to help.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

    What you said wasn't misinformation and wasn't incorrect (other than perhaps using "tone" which is just silly because it was completely obvious what you meant).

    It's hard to do, but... She's_right_you_know_meme.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    eat at a reasonable deficit. I eat food (all food) I just make sure I am about 200 calories lower than maintenance.

    Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. And no I'm not making dinner for you.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    a cowoker dropped a lot of weight with zero exercise. weight loss is about 80% food, 20% exercise
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    eat at a reasonable deficit. I eat food (all food) I just make sure I am about 200 calories lower than maintenance.

    Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. And no I'm not making dinner for you.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
    That's alright I had bbq'd burgers with avocado, cheese and homemade texas bread and butter jalepenos but thanks for the non-offer :p
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

    Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

    It totally depends on your body. If I don't exercise, I can't lose or maintain. I gained 10 pounds last fall just having to take weight lifting out of my routine due to a broken hand. I was still walking, swimming (without arms :neutral: ), doing social dance and doing dance fitness. As soon as I was able to do the full lifting routine again, those pounds came right off.

    If you are older, have health issues, have a slower metabolism, etc., adding in exercise may be the only way to earn enough calories for a comfortable diet.

    Everybody is different--try lots of things and see what works for you. Since you haven't been able to keep weight off in the past, you may need to consider trying things that you haven't tried before.

    Think about what is sustainable for you over the long term. Are you going to be comfortable on 1250 calories a day for the rest of your life? Would you be able to get in an intense workout three times a week for the rest of your life?

    Then you weren't in a calorie deficit...that easy...eating more than you thought.

    Nah, she has medical reasons.

    Yep, pretty massive ones. My BMR is about 25% of what the standard formulas would predict. I don't think that my experience is typical, not any more than the experience of someone who who has had weight-loss surgery is typical. That's kind of my point--there is no one-size-fits all. We all need to experiment to see what the best mix is.

    We also have to remember that the standard formulas were developed based on research done on healthy 20-year-old men. We don't all fall into that demographic.

    Not everybody needs to exercise as much as I do, but the general attitude here that exercise is not important? Well, it bothers me. I think that it is short-sighted and it really does a lot of people harm. Telling someone who is just starting out that it is WRONG to exercise is just not helpful.

    If you are interested in long-term health and sustainable weight loss, you will consider various approaches to exercise and maybe try new things, like lifting weights. Exercise is pretty essential for heart health, bone health, cognitive function, healthy aging, etc.

    If you just want to lose weight, no, you don't absolutely HAVE to exercise...but why wouldn't you want to?