No motivation from family and friends

Options
2»

Replies

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    PS Jade - despite what I said above, I could not have lost my weight without my new friends on this site, who kept me going when I was losing heart. It's great here :)
  • gigialam
    gigialam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same exact problem when I lived at home.. I'm not going to lie, it was tough and at times really got to me but you're doing this for you and no one can stop you except yourself. Yes, it would be nice if they helped or understood but you don't have any control over that. Once you start losing weight, they might start to support you a little, but again, you're not them, they're not you and there's no guarantee.

That said, the fastest way to do something is to be around people doing it. And you're already doing that by being a part of this awesome community!
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    JadeHall27 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anyone to give me full support, but an inkling would nice off my family ?

I understand this is something i have to do by myself but it would be nice wouldn't it? If your family supported you? Like their meant to in any other part of your life?

Eg, I wanna become a doctor, "awesome good for you, you can do it"

I wanna train for a marathon, "brilliant! You'll do well!"

You know, how is trying to loose weight any less of an achievement?

Most of my family will not be supportive of me once I am near or at goal. My husband and I have already had words about him giving me a hard time. My family will be the people who say things like, "With all this weighing & tracking, do you have an eating disorder?" or "Now that you lost all this weight, why are you still logging/going to the gym/ not eating 3 desserts/ etc." I know it is coming, and I am taking heart from people here on MFP who are truly dedicated to healthy living, unlike my family. Even if I am never -as- dedicated to healthy/ fit living as some on MFP, their knowledge & attitude hearten and inspire me. I figure that is a great gift, and I will take that generosity where it is offered. I know not to expect it from my family; I got heavy because of thought processes I learned from the people I have eaten with for 40 years. I am the one changing, my family members are not. Expecting them to make the mental changes I have spent months to just make a DENT in seems to me to be asking too much of them.

• NoXcusesFit
    NoXcusesFit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I quickly realized (and greatly contributed it to my success) that you can not rely on others for motivation or support. You need to first find that within yourself, and IF YOU ARE LUCKY you may have outside support.

Dont expect others to motivate or support you.

+1