Exercise logging

Options
emmoen
emmoen Posts: 218 Member
i don't log any of my exercise. I don't feel that I need to. I don't want to be tempted to eat the extra calories. If I go over my set amount it is usually only by 100-200... With the exception of Mother's Day... Rare occasion. But today I did light yoga for an hour, swam laps for 30 minutes and biked for 30 minutes. I shouldn't worry about logging my exercise if I am losing weight right?

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you are using MFP's method it's wise to eat back (some portion of) your calories. It sounds like you might prefer to use the TDEE method in which you don't eat back calories.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    by the way, I've found on days I'm very active I may not need more food that day, but I'll be hungry the next day.
  • emmoen
    Options
    I tend to eat when I'm hungry but I also drink about 20 oz of water first to see if I am actually hungry
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP is setup for you to eat some of them...

I use the analogy a lot.

Think of your body as a car. You fill the tank, then take it on a road trip and that road trip one way is 3/4 tank of gas...you wouldn't think you could make it back home on a 1/4 of a tank...you would put in at least 1/2 a tank.

That is what exercise calories are to your body...gas to get back to where you were the day before...

Hunger can be tricky esp since there is a hormone that will stop hunger in times actual famine etc. Not saying you are starving but take that into consideration as I don't know what you are netting...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make much sense to log what you eat if you don't know how much you burned.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • emmoen
    Options
    1300-1500 calories
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on here don't log exercise, or log it and don't eat the calories back. I say, eat them if you are hungry. MFP calorie burn estimates are said to be exaggerated anyways, so if you do eat them, probably eat back half.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you are losing weight, logging your exercise seems irrelevant. If you are not losing weight, then it's time to figure out why and you get a clear picture of what you are doing when you log. If that isn't a concern for you then I wouldn't bother.