I could use help- 5'3" & 217 lbs

Options
So long story short, I've been fighting with my weight since I was a kid. I was 5'0" and 160 lbs in 8th grade. By the time I graduated high school I was already up to180 lbs. A year and a half ago they put me on a medication to help with an "Insulin Imbalance" my doctors believed I had to go along with my Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Well, come to find out I don't even have PCOS, and the medication they put me on to help me LOSE weight, made me gain 45 lbs.
I'd say I've lost maybe 25 lbs since they took me off of the medication, just because I wasn't taking it anymore.

But I've gone back and forth trying to lose weight and not giving a crap because I could never make it work.

Right now I'm eating at a deficit, I'm making sure I stick to a rigid diet. I've been following the diet plan for a while eating the same things. (Oatmeal for Breakfast, protein shake for lunch & either yogurt or granola bar for snack + a veggie heavy dinner with chicken or beef & No carbs) I was bad about recording before and only started trying to keep up with the log. I know you are all going to say, make sure you eat at a deficit, make sure you weigh your foods and keep logging it.

What I could really use is a solid plan I can stick to. Something that other people have found to work.

Replies

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Honestly? No plan, just calories in vs calories out. As long as I am eating at a deficit, I eat whatever I want. That s pretty much the only plan I have, and it is working so far!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Set up your MFP profile accurately. Choose the lose 1 pound per week option. Weigh your food in grams/ounces when possible, with cups and spoons when it's not possible, and estimate as accurately as possible as a last resort. Log every bite that passes your lips, using verified entries in the database (i.e., USDA entries, entries that match the info from the food package in your hand, etc.) Log your exercise calories. Eat at least 50% of them for 4 weeks. After 4 weeks evaluate your weight loss. Eat fewer exercise calories if your loss rate is slower than 1 pound a week. Consider eating more if it is greater than 1 pound and you feel underfueled. Accept that losing this weight will take you a good long time.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Nobody can spell out a plan that will work for you except you. My advice is that you don't have to say no to foods you enjoy, but just try to fit them into your day. Carbs at dinner time, for example, might be fine. And you can have more than a protein shake for lunch each day. I want to be able to enjoy things like a beer and a piece of cake at a birthday party, so I just figure out how to make room for those things on those occasions. Pre-planning and logging the night before has helped me significantly. There are so many times where a coworker brings in donuts or surprises pop up throughout the day. Sometimes I just say "Screw it!" and indulge; other days, I just stay the course because I know I accounted for my whole day and can't allow for a 300-calorie donut. It's about making a new lifestyle for yourself that you can stick to, in the long run. For myself, I've also tried to make it about the science and numbers of CICO, versus the emotional aspect of food. My diary is open and honest if you want to friend me. Good luck!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    There are so many useful stickies here that you should read and re-read. So much more valuable information but nobody ever stops to check out the stickies at the top of most of the forums. You should start with this one here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here#latest

What do you mean by plan? The only plan that really works is calories in vs calories out, accuracy with logging. Patience is key, the weight isn't going to fall off as fast as you'd like but it will go if you follow the CICO plan.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Rigid plans tend to not work, because they're so rigid that most people can't stick to them for very long.

Calories in, calories out. And give yourself some room for treats in your calorie allotment, too. And make sure you include the foods you most enjoy, never mind what anyone else is eating. You need a plan that's flexible enough that you can see yourself sticking to it indefinitely, instead of "going back and forth trying to lose weight and not giving a crap because I could never make it work."
  • saidiehawkins
    saidiehawkins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Rigid plans tend to not work, because they're so rigid that most people can't stick to them for very long.

Calories in, calories out. And give yourself some room for treats in your calorie allotment, too. And make sure you include the foods you most enjoy, never mind what anyone else is eating. You need a plan that's flexible enough that you can see yourself sticking to it indefinitely, instead of "going back and forth trying to lose weight and not giving a crap because I could never make it work."

My old issue is that because I allow for a varied diet that I can't stick to it. My portion sized end up changing, I add too many carbs, and I have a difficult time planning ahead and cheat more. If I stick to a more rigid diet where I only change what I eat for dinner, I KNOW that I can keep that up and plan ahead. And if I get sick of it I can change what I eat for breakfast from oatmeal to 1 egg and 1 piece of wheat toast + Fruit, and change the flavor of my lunchtime protein shake.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

My old issue is that because I allow for a varied diet that I can't stick to it. My portion sized end up changing, I add too many carbs, and I have a difficult time planning ahead and cheat more. If I stick to a more rigid diet where I only change what I eat for dinner, I KNOW that I can keep that up and plan ahead. And if I get sick of it I can change what I eat for breakfast from oatmeal to 1 egg and 1 piece of wheat toast + Fruit, and change the flavor of my lunchtime protein shake.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what works best for you.

Having said that, can you identify the things that have made you go off the rails in the past and revert to "not giving a crap because you could never make it work?"

Ask yourself this: Whatever you do, can you see yourself doing it for the rest of your life, without feeling deprived or like you're targeting an "end" date? Because the minute you see it as temporary, you're inherently giving yourself permission to go back to your old habits when you're done, and that's how people regain the weight they lose.

Think lifestyle change, not diet.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to be more rigid now until you train yourself to have more self control. After several months you could try loosening up a bit.
  • saidiehawkins
    saidiehawkins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice everyone.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    What about exercise, have you started adding that to your plan? MFP has lots of 30 day challenges, and personally, I'm doing the couch to 5k training. It sounds like you have your calories under control, but adding some movement to your day might pick up the pace.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is little doubt that tracking and properly logging is necessary. But, there are a few techniques you can use to eat fewer calories and still feel food, so your cravings would go down naturally.

First, avoid straight sugar shots as much as you can. This includes foods with added sugars, but also "all natural" juices. Juice is free sugar without the fiber that your body needs to feel full. So, eat the fruit and skip the juice.

Second, add some nuts to your diet. Nuts are delicious and high in healthy fats. They are both nutritious and will make you feel fuller.

Third, while there is nothing wrong with protein shakes from a weight loss point of view, I try to get my nutrients and my calories from real food. Nuts, nut butters, lentils, lean meats and fish, dairy are all great sources of protein.

Lastly, don't be afraid of food. You need food to fuel yourself, to satisfy yourself, and to make sure you won't binge. Just because it's a diet doesn't mean it can't be delicious. How much is your deficit right now? What's your daily intake? If it's too low, I guarantee you will eventually fall off the bandwagon. Losing weight shouldn't be about torturing your body, it should be about nourishing it the proper way and retraining it to change your relationship with food.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this: Whatever you do, can you see yourself doing it for the rest of your life, without feeling deprived or like you're targeting an "end" date? Because the minute you see it as temporary, you're inherently giving yourself permission to go back to your old habits when you're done, and that's how people regain the weight they lose.

Think lifestyle change, not diet.

So much this. ^^

If you want to eat a rigid diet for the rest of your life, then find one that works for you. Me? If I had a lifetime of nothing but oatmeal, yogurt, protein shakes and a veggie heavy dinner to look forward to, I don't know that I'd consider life worth living. I enjoy drinking a beer a couple of times each week and eating a piece of cake at parties. For most people, it's not realistic to plan to eat the same exact things every day. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

The changes you're making today should be ones you're planning to make for life. The only difference is that once you meet your goal you can have a few more calories each day.That's the easiest way to get off the yo-yo cycle for good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm 5'3 and was about your weight when I started. I didn't start logging at MFP until I'd lost the first 20.

Logging was something I found valuable, as well as figuring out some rules that worked for me and how I like to eat. My rules were (1) figure out a basic breakfast that I can make routinely without thinking about it that includes protein and veggies (I usually have a vegetable omelet); (2) cook ahead on the weekends so I can have lunches and have a few standard lunches to buy that are easy fallbacks and fit into my plan; (3) generally think of meals as based on a protein source (usually meat/fish for me, sometimes eggs, dairy, beans, and/or tofu) plus veggies and then fill in with extras (starchy carbs, fruit, dairy) based on calories available.

Measure out serving sizes, and keep the serving sizes for the starchy carbs reasonably low (generally a standard serving size or less or no more than 100 cal).

These were rules I chose because they were easy for me to stick to, fit my nutritional goals and taste preferences, and were extremely flexible, so I would not get bored.

When I started I wasn't that active and wanted to lose 2 lb/week, so I was eating at about 1250 and managed a wide variety of meals on these principles (last spring to early summer illustrates this). As I got more calories from exercise and later increased my calories/decreased my loss rate I added in more extras.

Your portion sizes don't need to change unless you let them, you know.

Anyway, I think these things only work if you figure out for yourself how you will enjoy eating. It was because I made sure I was eating in a way I liked that I was successful (I've lost 95 lbs and have been maintaining since the beginning of Feb, although I may try to lose a bit more).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Based on your BMR you burn ~2050 calories a day assuming you are not very active.

A simple 2-part plan for you to try:

a) Grant yourself a food 'budget' of 1550 calories per day. Figure out what your target areas are. For me, that is making sure I get enough protein and eating a variety of fruits/veggies each day. The rest of the calories just kind of 'fill in'. I don't avoid any particular food - and you get to decide if you should based on medical issues, or whether or not certain foods trigger you to overeat. Use a food scale, and be accurate and honest about what you're consuming. Consider food, condiments, cooking oils, beverages, etc.

b) Make an effort to move more. Set goals for yourself. Such as to do a combination of squats/crunches/arm exercises 4x a week and walk a mile each day. Increasing activity is good for your heart/lung health among other things. Everyone will tell you that weight loss happens in the kitchen, but being accountable to yourself to live an active lifestyle can help.

Give yourself time. Track results by comparing your weight in 4-8 weeks to where you started. If you find that the activities you do now cease to challenge you, or you don't enjoy them, change things up. If you have a day or week where you feel you need a break from 'dieting' then temporarily adjust your budget upward. Such as if 2050 is maintenance, have a day where you eat at 2000. One day 'off' from your deficit is not going to make or break you.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Make your own menu if you like the structure. (I am the same with breakfast and lunch.)

So come up with a few ideas for breakfasts and lunch. You can consider what you like, macro balance (getting enough protein and fat especially) and what you can afford / are willing to prepare.

Then pre-log each meal and play around with the weights of each item to get something that'll fit in your calorie "budget" for that meal.

Then print out your menu for reference, or however you like to do these things. (I have a small flexible binder I can use in the kitchen, but eventually, I have things basically memorized.)

It would look something like this:

40 g whole grain bread
    2 large whole eggs
    1 tsp olive oil
    150 g broccoli
    10 g onion
    150 g mango

Total calories: ___ (I didn't run this, just made up numbers, btw)

Make up a few breakfasts, a few lunches. And then it's easy to plan for the week. You can say, okay, this week, breakfasts are alternating between egg and lox, lunches are alternating between chicken and tuna. Or whatever. You buy, you weigh as you prep, logging is easy (because you can save the sets as meals and add the whole meal in one click) and there you go.

You can even pre-prep, so that a bunch of the work is done in one swoop, and at meal time, you just have to heat it up or plate it or do some other minimal work to it.

When you start to get bored, spend another bit of time planning some new menu items. Or change up the easy things -- like which spices and herbs you're using, which fruit you're having on the side, which veggies you're having on the side.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein and watch your yogurts. It may be "light" of "fat free" but it can be loaded with sugar. Good luck. We can do this
  • APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    katsmo wrote: »
    Hi there. Nobody can spell out a plan that will work for you except you. My advice is that you don't have to say no to foods you enjoy, but just try to fit them into your day. Carbs at dinner time, for example, might be fine. And you can have more than a protein shake for lunch each day. I want to be able to enjoy things like a beer and a piece of cake at a birthday party, so I just figure out how to make room for those things on those occasions. Pre-planning and logging the night before has helped me significantly. There are so many times where a coworker brings in donuts or surprises pop up throughout the day. Sometimes I just say "Screw it!" and indulge; other days, I just stay the course because I know I accounted for my whole day and can't allow for a 300-calorie donut. It's about making a new lifestyle for yourself that you can stick to, in the long run. For myself, I've also tried to make it about the science and numbers of CICO, versus the emotional aspect of food. My diary is open and honest if you want to friend me. Good luck!

This!!
  • lsusan58
    lsusan58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try homemade chia pudding...chocolate milk ...made however you want with whatever milk you use...add 3 tbsp. or so of chia seeds and let sit in refridge either 6hrs or so or overnight, etc...keeps well for two days or so..very filling but nutritious treat...
    can also be added to fruit juice/water drinks and yogurt/fruit for parfait...