1 year and 5 and a half stone lost

Options
DrTrouser
DrTrouser Posts: 3 Member
I've just completed a year on MFP and am pretty chuffed at what I've achieved;

From almost 19 stone down to just over 13 stone (6'1" male)
Waist from 48" down to 34"
Running 5k every other day
Resting HR down to 38 bpm

To be honest (and I know some people will not want to hear this) it's been fairly easy to do and here's what worked for me;

a) Data - I'm an engineer and I love data, being able to draw graphs of calories, weight, distances run, waist, hips etc has been a big help in making me stick to this. Oh and don't lie on your tracking as it helps no one.
b) Fridays - Me and the wife have a massive pizza and 2 or 3 pints on a Friday, as long as the weeks calorie total is under the weekly goal it doesn't seem to impact the weight loss and after a week at work you need something to look forward to
c) lunch - spend 5 minutes in the morning making a packed lunch it stops any temptation to wander
d) Exercise - I neither love or hate running and lifting, most people seem to love one or another and get a lot from them. To me they're a means to an end and need to be done - it's not that i dread doing it more like i just switch off, get it done then move on. I'm a fairly stoical brit so maybe that's just easier for us.
e) Maintaining - very tricky, I set a target of half a stone variation around 13 stone but my god it oscillates around a lot. I've been maintaining since feb this year and its harder than losing
f) Pot belly - at some point you have to say sod it it's never going away and as point d) shows I will never care enough to get into serious 5x5 or a bulk/cut cycle so it will stay. I can live with it and am much happier with my health/appearance

I've got some pics but I don't think anyone wants to see a pale, miserable Welshman.

Replies

• Labyrinth66
    Labyrinth66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    266# to 182# (approx) is a great achievement and something to be proud of! I like your list of things that worked for you. You don't have to go for a serious 5x5 or bulk/cut cycle. I'm one of those that leans much more toward strength training of some sort than cardio activities, such as running, but it's because the more I am physically engaged, the more I enjoy it - and it snowballs that way for me. Just find something active that you enjoy. Being happy (content and proud) at what you've achieved and where you're at right now is probably the most self-encouraging thing I have (and seems you do as well) to help me keep going because, once I let that go to the wayside, everything else follows. Kudos!
  • Labyrinth66
    Labyrinth66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Feel free to correct me if my math was off... ;)
  • DrTrouser
    DrTrouser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Feel free to correct me if my math was off... ;)

I think your maths is correct! - I can't get used to kg yet, let alone lbs...

You're right, contentment and pride is much more of an incentive to me and it seems to work OK. It's odd that 20 years ago I was playing rugby at a high level and loved the weights room and would happily get in there every day and train hard. Clearly priorities change over time as I'm more excited about brewing a pot of tea and reading the paper these days.
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What if we do want to see a pale, miserable Welshman?

Either way, great work! And good luck maintaining - your data can help there too.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Well done! I agree, post the pics - we all like to be inspired by them :)
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I third the pics request!

But more importantly, that's awesome that you figured out what works for you and have been so successful. Congrats.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Post the pics please. You should see me when I'm at home in Ireland, I'm as pale as sheet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!