Tips on losing weight without serious exercise?

Options

Replies

• David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Never exercise and have lost 2 pounds a week (16 pounds so far).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

It totally depends on your body. If I don't exercise, I can't lose or maintain. I gained 10 pounds last fall just having to take weight lifting out of my routine due to a broken hand. I was still walking, swimming (without arms :neutral: ), doing social dance and doing dance fitness. As soon as I was able to do the full lifting routine again, those pounds came right off.

If you are older, have health issues, have a slower metabolism, etc., adding in exercise may be the only way to earn enough calories for a comfortable diet.

Everybody is different--try lots of things and see what works for you. Since you haven't been able to keep weight off in the past, you may need to consider trying things that you haven't tried before.

Think about what is sustainable for you over the long term. Are you going to be comfortable on 1250 calories a day for the rest of your life? Would you be able to get in an intense workout three times a week for the rest of your life?

Then you weren't in a calorie deficit...that easy...eating more than you thought.

I absolutely was not. I don't have a functioning pituitary gland. I also have four other metabolic diseases.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It totally depends on your body. If I don't exercise, I can't lose or maintain. I gained 10 pounds last fall just having to take weight lifting out of my routine due to a broken hand. I was still walking, swimming (without arms :neutral: ), doing social dance and doing dance fitness. As soon as I was able to do the full lifting routine again, those pounds came right off.

If you are older, have health issues, have a slower metabolism, etc., adding in exercise may be the only way to earn enough calories for a comfortable diet.

Everybody is different--try lots of things and see what works for you. Since you haven't been able to keep weight off in the past, you may need to consider trying things that you haven't tried before.

Think about what is sustainable for you over the long term. Are you going to be comfortable on 1250 calories a day for the rest of your life? Would you be able to get in an intense workout three times a week for the rest of your life?

Then you weren't in a calorie deficit...that easy...eating more than you thought.

Nah, she has medical reasons.

Yep, pretty massive ones. My BMR is about 25% of what the standard formulas would predict. I don't think that my experience is typical, not any more than the experience of someone who who has had weight-loss surgery is typical. That's kind of my point--there is no one-size-fits all. We all need to experiment to see what the best mix is.

We also have to remember that the standard formulas were developed based on research done on healthy 20-year-old men. We don't all fall into that demographic.

Not everybody needs to exercise as much as I do, but the general attitude here that exercise is not important? Well, it bothers me. I think that it is short-sighted and it really does a lot of people harm. Telling someone who is just starting out that it is WRONG to exercise is just not helpful.

If you are interested in long-term health and sustainable weight loss, you will consider various approaches to exercise and maybe try new things, like lifting weights. Exercise is pretty essential for heart health, bone health, cognitive function, healthy aging, etc.

If you just want to lose weight, no, you don't absolutely HAVE to exercise...but why wouldn't you want to?

I nor has anyone who said "no you don't need exercise to lose weight" have ever said exercise is not important, nor have we ever said it's "wrong"

It is important for health and fitness....this coming from someone who lifts 4x a week, runs 3x a week, walks, bikes, swims and quit smoking.

But for weight loss it is not required...plain and simple.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

@whmscll ok - is exercise necessary for weight loss: yes, or no?

No, it is not. Weight loss is created by simply eating less calories than your body burns each day.

That said exercise can help you either create a larger calorie deficit (so you'll lose weight more quickly) or give you more calories to eat each day.

So, quite simply, follow MFP's calorie goal without exercise. After a week or two decide if you can live with eating so little. If not, add cardio exercises to get more calories to eat each day.

it was a yes or no question ...

and was not addressed at you ...

Apologies. I wasn't paying attention and assumed you were the OP. Although I wasn't sure why a question already answered a dozen times was being asked yet again.

Rather than hijacking someone else's thread you should probably have privately messaged the person you were asking.

And there's no need to be rude. We're all here trying to help.

1. I don't PM people on MFP who are not on my friends list.
    2. I specially used that users name in my reply so that others would see it was directed at her
    3. I don't see how I am derailing a thread by asking a poster question that directly relates to to the OP's question.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I absolutely was not. I don't have a functioning pituitary gland. I also have four other metabolic diseases.

Yes I was informed of that by mamapeach..that does make you one of those who has metabolic issues which you have to say throw a wrench into things...but that isn't the case for most.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Nah, she has medical reasons.

Yep, pretty massive ones. My BMR is about 25% of what the standard formulas would predict. I don't think that my experience is typical, not any more than the experience of someone who who has had weight-loss surgery is typical. That's kind of my point--there is no one-size-fits all. We all need to experiment to see what the best mix is.

We also have to remember that the standard formulas were developed based on research done on healthy 20-year-old men. We don't all fall into that demographic.

Not everybody needs to exercise as much as I do, but the general attitude here that exercise is not important? Well, it bothers me. I think that it is short-sighted and it really does a lot of people harm. Telling someone who is just starting out that it is WRONG to exercise is just not helpful.

If you are interested in long-term health and sustainable weight loss, you will consider various approaches to exercise and maybe try new things, like lifting weights. Exercise is pretty essential for heart health, bone health, cognitive function, healthy aging, etc.

If you just want to lose weight, no, you don't absolutely HAVE to exercise...but why wouldn't you want to?

You keep saying that, but don't you mean 25% less? There is no way your numbers work out to 25% of any adult BMR. You aren't burning in exercise what you think you are if you really think that's the case. The numbers on here, for Zumba are grossly exaggerated.

Someone else without a pituitary posted once, and she quoted a 30% reduction. Not 30% capacity.\

On to what you said, no one said that exercise is WRONG. They only said it wasn't necessary.

And frankly, your attitude towards the needed intensity for exercise to have any meaning could use some adjustment. We're not all equally abled.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love exercise. Prefer it over dieting even. But my experience is that with intense exercise my weight temporarily goes up for a few days. I think it is water retention from muscle repair. But it could be discouraging and confusing to a dieter starting out. My first thirty pounds lost were from diet restriction alone. The OP does not say why exercise is off the table but I assume there is a legitimate reason.
  • NoXcusesFit
    NoXcusesFit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any advice or a plan they follow or recommend?

Thanks!

Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss, however, it does speed up the process. I eat at about a 300 calorie deficit, but I do have a cheat meal on Fridays. My cheat meal is usually carb loaded, although sometimes it can be a ridiculous amount of protein. I do calisthenics at home. I also walk 3 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My muscles are getting tighter and more defined, which in turn makes me look more fit.

Yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calories, but let's be honest. Do you think you're going to lose weight faster eating clean or eating fast food? Cut out your processed food and you'll lose weight faster and you'll feel a ton better too.
  • pewpewkapow
    pewpewkapow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I lost 50kg by just eating 1200 cal or less a day with little to no exercise. I say little, because I walk 15mins to and from work everyday.

However, I have started running and lifting weights now which I find much more enjoyable. I've lost a further 10kg (60kg to date) with this method and I find I lose weight more easily and just feel generally healthier/stronger. I can also eat a bit more if I want to now that I'm exercising, which is a bit easier too. I have 30kg to go until my goal weight.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    kailakrush wrote: »

Thanks!

Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss, however, it does speed up the process. I eat at about a 300 calorie deficit, but I do have a cheat meal on Fridays. My cheat meal is usually carb loaded, although sometimes it can be a ridiculous amount of protein. I do calisthenics at home. I also walk 3 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My muscles are getting tighter and more defined, which in turn makes me look more fit.

Yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calories, but let's be honest. Do you think you're going to lose weight faster eating clean or eating fast food? Cut out your processed food and you'll lose weight faster and you'll feel a ton better too.

It may speed up the process but not always.

No need to cut out processed foods...you won't lose faster.

@kailakrush define clean foods please...
  • Tylerbrook01
    Tylerbrook01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yet exercise helps weight loss. When you are expending more energy you will lose more quickly than if you were just restricting calories. The two go hand in hand. Walking is exercise, and it does not need to be "serious." You can walk for 20 minutes on flat pavement and it would have benefits. Plus, exercise releases "feel good" hormones, as well as helps tone muscles. All good.

I agree with this
    I lost two stone with counting cals and walking with my newborn and I'm 5 months pregnant again and only gained 2lb because I carried on with my walks, I only do 30-40 mins per day so I think even 10-20 mins would benefit you
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Well, from my own experience I lost the weight at a steady pace while still continuing to eat the foods I liked, just in smaller portions-still ate fast food several times a week, 'processed' food, food from a box, cans etc. Had no plateaus, hit my goal weight and had no problem transitioning into maintenance, where I've been now for over two years. I feel pretty darn good too ;)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yet exercise helps weight loss. When you are expending more energy you will lose more quickly than if you were just restricting calories. The two go hand in hand. Walking is exercise, and it does not need to be "serious." You can walk for 20 minutes on flat pavement and it would have benefits. Plus, exercise releases "feel good" hormones, as well as helps tone muscles. All good.

I agree with this
    I lost two stone with counting cals and walking with my newborn and I'm 5 months pregnant again and only gained 2lb because I carried on with my walks, I only do 30-40 mins per day so I think even 10-20 mins would benefit you

You're supposed to gain weight when you're pregnant, 2lbs for being 5 months along is really low?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I agree with this

You're supposed to gain weight when you're pregnant, 2lbs for being 5 months along is really low?

I was thinking the same thing...

We aren't saying exercise is not good...we are saying it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Thanks!

calorie deficit is calorie deficit. Does not matter if you eat "clean" (whatever that is), or if you eat fast food. The fact that you think there is a difference is ridiculous.

what are you defining as processed?
  • Lizzipoos
    Lizzipoos Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I agree with this

You don't know if that's low or not. She might still have been losing weight herself, but then the baby itself is adding the weight, thus resulting in the 2lbs weight gain :) Being pregnant doesn't mean you should gain tons of weight. A newborn baby weighs 7.5lbs on avarage. She's still 4 months away from that, so if she has still been losing weight , a 2lbs weight gain with the baby, is perfectly fine.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Lizzipoos wrote: »

I agree with this

You don't know if that's low or not. She might still have been losing weight herself, but then the baby itself is adding the weight, thus resulting in the 2lbs weight gain :) Being pregnant doesn't mean you should gain tons of weight. A newborn baby weighs 7.5lbs on avarage. She's still 4 months away from that, so if she has still been losing weight , a 2lbs weight gain with the baby, is perfectly fine.

A woman who was average weight before getting pregnant should gain 25 to 35 pounds after becoming pregnant. Underweight women should gain 28 to 40 pounds. And overweight women may need to gain only 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy.

2lbs in 5 months is not acceptable.

In general, you should gain about 2 to 4 pounds during the first three months you're pregnant and 1 pound a week during the rest of your pregnancy...

Even if this poster was overweight when she got pregnant it is recommended that a pregnant woman eat 300 extra calories a day to ensure the baby is getting everything it needs.

These numbers are averages

Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total: 25-35 pounds
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP, as others above me have pointed out, exercise makes the journey more fun. There are weeks when the scale doesn't move, but you can feel better about it with a fitness NSV.

But if you're unable or unwilling to exercise, you're probably fine just eating less. Keep in mind that it gets hard as you get closer to goal though.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Actually if you are overweight/obese it is perfectly acceptable by medical standards to not gain ANY weight while pregnant. (meaning you are losing body weight while gaining baby/etc weight). The baby takes from the woman's extra nutrient stores if you are not eating the excess 300 calories.

My OB told me not to eat any different (i.e., more) when I became pregnant (at about 25 BMI). I wish I would've listened to her, I gained 40 lbs :(

2 lbs at 5 months is perfectly fine if this poster is overweight/obese. It would be concerning if she is under/average weight.