Low Impact Cardio

Options
beck1967
beck1967 Posts: 17 Member
I am finding the high impact cardio with a lot of jumping, etc always seems to get me injured, do you think low impact cardio like walking, elliptical, cycling is enough??

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, walking the dog, and lifting have worked for me for about 30 pounds, so I'd say, yes, it is enough. I also totally recommend weight lifting.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    beck1967 wrote: »
    I am finding the high impact cardio with a lot of jumping, etc always seems to get me injured, do you think low impact cardio like walking, elliptical, cycling is enough??

Yes on the "is it enough". You can vary the intensity, duration, and get all the benefits using low impact cardio.

No worries.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just becayse its low impact doesnt mean it has to be low effort. Cycling, swimming, rowing, walking.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes, low impact is enough. The past 6 weeks I've been restricted to the elliptical and treadmill and I've still managed to lose weight. Doing an hour/day and shooting for a 500cal burn. I am actually surprised at the results I got from just cardio. I just got for cleared to do everything (recovering from surgery) and will be adding weights along with yoga/pilates to tone back up. I'll keep cardio in the mix, becuase it has really helped with my weight loss.
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My exercise is on an indoor rower, if your gym has one and it is the Concept 2, go for it. It is low impact and works at least 84% of your muscles and all you do it seat on your bum. I have a bad knee and overweight and this does not affect my knee in any way. I also use the recumbant bike to cool off afterwards and have lost weight. I am going to buy my own rower for home as I can only get to the gym twice a week. Hope this helps?
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Cycling is the best cardio you can do IMHO. If you're fast, take all the credit. If you're slow, blame the bike. :smile:

My knees are completely destroyed from being overweight. There's honestly zero pain after cycling, thought it did take me a little while to get my bike fit completely dialed in.
  • judytom1946
    judytom1946 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have two bad knees and asthma..what low impact excise can I do. I have a treadmill would using it only for a 10 minutes help till I can build up