Water weight question

Options
Does anyone know how long a person holds onto water weight after starting weight training?
My clothes are a bit looser so its all good, but I was just wondering how long the extra water will stay for?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person. It usually lasts a 1-2 weeks for me.

Try upping your water intake to lose the retained water.
  • martina1606
    martina1606 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Will do, thanks for advise :smile:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It stays as long as you have sore muscles. Even if it stays for longer than a couple of weeks, there is a limit to how much water weight you can gain, so you'll see weight loss after that anyway.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person. It usually lasts a 1-2 weeks for me.

Try upping your water intake to lose the retained water.

Same for me. Here is a picture of my daily weighing chart the first time I started lifting:
    6rlgk0qhf26n.jpg
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    @257_Lag I like your charting. Is that in Excel? What kind of average do you use?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't think it ever really goes away. It is glycogen storage in your muscles for future workouts. If you stop working out it will drop. There is a point where the fat loss will catch up and you'll start to see the scale move again. It took me almost a month for that to happen.

Also, drinking water will not affect it. It is different than retaining water for other reasons like high sodium intake.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever really goes away. It is glycogen storage in your muscles for future workouts. If you stop working out it will drop. There is a point where the fat loss will catch up and you'll start to see the scale move again. It took me almost a month for that to happen.

Also, drinking water will not affect it. It is different than retaining water for other reasons like high sodium intake.

I think everyone is right. The really high water weight seems to last 1-2 weeks (similar to how long the soreness sticks around), but I know I keep a few lbs of water weight even after that. I know because every time I take a break from lifting (recommended to take a week or two off after several months of heavy lifting) I'll "whoosh" off several lbs (unrelated/not predicted by my CICO).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1-2 weeks here as well. I know when i have to get up in the middle of the nite to pee that it is starting to come off. Drinking extra water can help IF you have also eaten too much sodium.