Slim fast any good?

Options
you know the milkshakes 230kcal per shake(325ml), and the rest of the range? Are they any good to be considering to help me on my way?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I tried them a few years back, I was living in the States, bouncing between houses (travelling) and needed convenience and wanted to lose a few kilos. Did worse than nothing for me, the double dose of sweetness for breakfast and lunch just made me want more sweet, and they never filled me up enough to not be hungry between 'meals'. For 230 a meal, I can do way, way more filling foods and actually eat than drink a not-that-great taking drink in a can.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If you want a meal replacement drink then I'd recommend something like Ensure since it has actual nutrition involved and it has many different choices based on need. Slim Fast is just sugar in a can.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like to chew my food.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You need to learn about real food if you want successful long term weight loss. Slim fast doesnt teach you how to handle real food, what your failings were and how to arrest that issue. Imo lose weight like the vast majority of successful lifestyle changes here.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If you want a meal replacement drink then I'd recommend something like Ensure since it has actual nutrition involved and it has many different choices based on need. Slim Fast is just sugar in a can.
    randomtai wrote: »
    I like to chew my food.

I have tried Slim Fast in the past and it's just not filling in the long run. It did give me a temporary energy boost, but that was due to all of the sugar content.

I second on Ensure or even a protein shake if you're looking for a meal replacement.

• Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    230cals is chicken and veg, a good protein bar, a leafy chicken salad...much more satisfying that the sugar filled slimfast.

If you would prefer to drink your meals (many do) then maybe opt for a good protein shake or make your own fruit smoothies? You'll get better value for your money, better nutrients for your body and be much fuller too.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'll third the Ensure recommendation but also chime in with saying that it's best to chew your macros and not merely drink them. However, I know that there are times when the thought of food is too much for me (I wake up nauseous for reasons that have nothing to do with being pregnant) and keep protein shake mix on hand for low hunger days. Ironically, I also use protein shakes when I'm so ravenous I want to eat everything in sight. But I don't use them as a meal replacement on ravenous days, just on my nauseous days. Otherwise, I wouldn't get enough calories.
  • Jordansfitnessjourney
    Options
    I'm doing slim fast right now, don't judge me! Haha. A lot of the girls I work with have done it recently and it has worked well for them, I'm doing it because cooking is an issue at the moment because our whole kitchen is being refurbed, so no cooker and microwave meals are not for me! I love snacking on fruit, veg,etc. but drinking the slim fast shakes helps when I crave something sweet! So no massive bag of chocolate, or ice-cream or cake, just a shake!
  • tuttlemichelle
    tuttlemichelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually like the Atkins shakes better. Drastically less sugar in them caused me to try them, and I enjoy the taste. I struggle with minimizing sugar intake and when using slim fast in the past, I seemed to crave more sweets throughout the day (maybe completely unrelated?). Atkins has a couple coffee mocha type shakes, it helps with my goodbye to sugar loaded coffee drinks in the morning and still lets me get out the door fast. Adding ice and blending is also good, and it helps make up for my love of fraps. Plus, I love not having to log a lot of sugar.