Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fat percentage question..

I haven't been meeting my daily fat percentage. I am always significantly higher than it suggests (20%).
The foods I am getting the highest fat from are: soy yogurt, avocado, chicken, salmon, and hard boiled eggs.

What's the deal on fat? These choices seem like "healthy" fats, however, I am wondering if my increased fat percentage is hindering my weightloss.

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    It's not hindering your weight loss unless your over consumption of it is causing you to be in a caloric surplus.
  • @LolBroScience‌ yeah, I keep to my daily target calorie intake. But you know when you complete the entry and it gives you your estimated weight in 5 weeks? When I have a high fat percentage, the estimated weight increases.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    That's based upon the goals you have set up in your profile (losing "x" per week at a certain caloric level), and the stats you've entered in. It is not necessarily accurate, nor anything to worry about.

Weigh yourself once a week or every few days and look at the long term trend/average, since you will fluctuate on a day to day basis. Adjust accordingly as you progress along.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Think of the fat percentage as more of a minimum. Fat is a necessary part of your diet.

In regard to weight loss: as long as your meet your overall calorie goals, then it makes no difference whether you get 20% or 50% of your calories from fat.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    You read my mind-- I've been noticing similar things in my diary. Most of my fats come from eggs, olive oil and chicken, and I find it difficult to stay under 50g a day if I eat normally. I keep within my target calories, but I was also wondering if too much fat would negatively impact me. Curious to hear what others say.
  • lauz322
    lauz322 Posts: 26 Member
    Fats are important in your diet. There are healthy fats. Look at a bodybuilders diet and see how much fat they have you will be shocked. This app seems to do a 1 size fits all, but it doesn't. It seems to put everyone on a 1200 cal diet, for me I'd be constantly ill if I ate this little. I have used other websites to work out what I need to keep my body running. Most other sites tell me I need 1400 cals which is more like it for me. The standard split us also incorrect for me. 20% fat is really low.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Have you thought of changing your fat percentage to a high percent and perhaps lowering your carbs? Try maybe a 40/30/30 and see if you meet you macros better there. It took me a few weeks to find a good balance.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    I just bumped up my fat percentage goal after tracking what I ate for a week or so. I didn't realize I ate a "high fat" diet, but apparently it makes up half my calories on any given day. And I'm healthy, strong, and losing weight. I wouldn't worry about it. :)
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Think of the fat percentage as more of a minimum. Fat is a necessary part of your diet.

In regard to weight loss: as long as your meet your overall calorie goals, then it makes no difference whether you get 20% or 50% of your calories from fat.

Bingo.

• HeatherColey1
    HeatherColey1 Posts: 9 Member
    I recently customized my macros. No note than 50 carbs. High protein and high fat... All equaling 100% ... But then my weight went up today. Not sure of maybe because I lift a good bit if my muscle and body carrying more water weight... I also noticed my body fat on the scale went up .1

Any advice there?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Have you thought of changing your fat percentage to a high percent and perhaps lowering your carbs? Try maybe a 40/30/30 and see if you meet you macros better there. It took me a few weeks to find a good balance.

This is what I'm doing. Eating at maintenance and lifting heavy. Working on a recomp. Slow, but making progress.