I need some help to stop snacking!

Options
advice needed and feel free to add me I need as much support as possible if I'm going to get through this as well as my exams

Replies

• thethinbug
    thethinbug Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you count and restrict calories? I've stopped restricting and tracking currently, and mentally the need to snack is less! Although I'm finding revision is so dull I turn to the cupboard every 5 minutes...
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When you want a snack, think to yourself "is this snack worth more to me than reaching my goals sooner?"

Also, if you are looking for support, I would be happy to help out. Hit me up if you have questions are need some encouragement. I help to run a great support and accountability group on Facebook for people looking to improve their health and fitness. It's just a bunch of people supporting and encouraging each other to make progress towards their goals. It's an awesome community. If you're interested in it, I'd be glad to chat with you about it.

Allan
  • henryberrios87
    henryberrios87 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe you need a heavier breakfast? Also drinking water may help. Maybe your dehydrated. I noticed for myself I need a 400 calorie breakfast to not feel hungry until lunch around 2
  • Kk2Aa
    Kk2Aa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and schedule when you'll be eating

For example I have my Breakfast 10 am, Lunch 2pm and Dinner around 6pm I also have a scheduled 100 calorie snack at 4.00pm so I don't go long between eating. You could even give your self a time where you could have an extra snack say at 12pm if you are really hungry but just make sure its a low calorie snack maybe a piece of fruit??

This has really helped me I never snack other than when I have scheduled in it. Another tip is if you feel like eating something that maybe you shouldn't search for it on MFP before hand and view the calorie/sugar/fat and it may put you off eating it.

I hope this helps!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Agree with PP- eat more satisfying meals. I prefer to feel "full" when I've eaten and not have to think about food again for several hours. My other advice would be to keep busy, but if you're a student studying for exams, you are busy, it's just that your hands and mouth are free, right? Maybe take your studying outside or somewhere that food isn't readily available?
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with snacking? As long as you stay within your allowance...
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I schedule and plan my snacks too during the weekdays. I have to do better on the weekends, though.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I still snack, but they are planned snacks. I have 2 a day and they are either between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, or dinner and bedtime. I treat them just like meals, they are just generally less calories. This way I'm not going 5-6 hours without food and getting so hungry that I don't make good food decisions. There's nothing wrong with having snacks as long as you are within your calorie goal.
  • starabbie26
    starabbie26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Thanks for your help everybody! I've had yet another bad biscuit monster day but hope to start fresh yet again tomorrow
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Concur, make sure your meals are substantial and have a good balance (myplate provides a pretty good guide). Plan snacks if needed based on your day and how hungry to tend to get. You might also benefit from reading Brian Wasink as he talks extensively about small changes you can make to reduce mindless eating.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Snacking per se is not necessarily bad....it is also what you snack on. If you have an apple or a small handful of nuts, these are not bad snacks. Also, when I want to snack I will first ask myself why. Am I truly hungry? If so, I eat a small healthy snack. More often, though, I want a snack out of habit, or because I'm bored, stressed, etc. Having this awareness and changing my behavior so that I only snack if hungry (and as others say, eating more substantial meals may help) was the trick for me. Good luck!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everybody! I've had yet another bad biscuit monster day but hope to start fresh yet again tomorrow

That's the spirit!

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try changing what you snack on. Throw out the biscuits if you are having trouble portion controlling them. Invest in some veggies that you like. If you feel peckish grab one of the bags of veggies. Tell yourself that other than your planned foods this is the only snack available to you. If you don't want them, you probably are not really hungry.

I do this when my snacking gets out of control. My favorite is bags of baby carrots with dill pickle slices. Celery sticks, crispy roasted kale are also in the top 10.

You will have a hard time breaking the bank on veggie snacks, particularly if you leave yourself 50-100 calories for them.