Can I eat chipotle and still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I always get the tacos - crunchy with barbacoa, lettuce, and cheese only. The hungry girl link provided is really good. One thing it didn't mention is that with the tacos, you don't have to get the 3 count order. 3 is almost too much for me a lot of the times, and I'll order only 2. It's cheaper (they're maybe $2.50 each?) and I'm not forced to eat all 3 (because who would want to waste that deliciousness?).
  • goldlipgloss
    goldlipgloss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I get their sofritas bowl with veggies, brown rice, and no dairy (I'm vegan). I found a nutrition page online and they listed the ingredients individually so remember what you put in there or plan it in advance to fit around your calorie goals.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I eat there at least once, or twice a week, and have still lost nearly 60 lbs. :)

Trade out rice for romaine lettuce, and you'll be able to fit other stuff in.

Romain lettuce
    black beans
    barbacoa
    fajita veggies
    Green salsa

Under 400 cals!

The only mark is that there is a TON of sodium in their food, but sodium isn't something I care to watch because I don't have high blood pressure, and I drink a tankfull of water every day.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat there all the time! My bowl is 630 cals and I am usually stuffed by the time I'm done. I get a chicken bowl with brown rice, black beans, hot salsa, cheese, lettuce, and cilantro. You can create your own combination of things and see how many cals it will be with their online nutrition calculator. Chipotle always fits in my calories :smile:
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating Chipotle I make it a point to use their nutrition info on their website and log the entire bowl. I have zero willpower and will snarf down a huge bowl with no problem. Honestly, it doesn't bother me since I make sure to make room for it in my diet and I've never had an issue weighing in the week after I've put myself into a Barbacoa coma.

So... congratulations to those of you who only eat half of a burrito, a bowl, or a salad. I'll just be over here being a Fatty McPiggybutt with my giant mound of heaven.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    enhanced-21200-1398697731-24.jpg
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat there about once a week and I eat my WHOLE bowl.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat there about twice a week. Chicken, fajita veg, pico, sour cream and extra lettuce. Comes in around 350ish calories and is totally filling. FYI: Adding beans or rice would up your calories about 200 each, I just don't really eat either of those. :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    If I'm eating Chipotle I make it a point to use their nutrition info on their website and log the entire bowl. I have zero willpower and will snarf down a huge bowl with no problem. Honestly, it doesn't bother me since I make sure to make room for it in my diet and I've never had an issue weighing in the week after I've put myself into a Barbacoa coma.

So... congratulations to those of you who only eat half of a burrito, a bowl, or a salad. I'll just be over here being a Fatty McPiggybutt with my giant mound of heaven.

I'm with you...

And I don't skimp either...all the beanz, all the rice, all the meat, all the cheese, corn salsa, pico de gallo, veggies and lettuce...I do skip the sour cream though. If I have the calories, I'll add guac, otherwise it's the only casualty.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was obsessed with Chipotle, which wasn't very friendly on my wallet, so I started making my own "copycat" burrito bowls at home. Not 100% exactly the same, but close enough to satisfy my cravings. They're a lot cheaper and, as one person mentioned, you can know exactly how many grams of each ingredient you get so you can be ~sure~ of how many calories you're getting. Google "Copycat Chipotle X" for recipes, like "copycat chipotle rice" or "copycat chipotle black beans" etc.

I know this totally isn't what you asked and I went on a tangent...yes you can, but here is another idea too!
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was obsessed with Chipotle, which wasn't very friendly on my wallet, so I started making my own "copycat" burrito bowls at home. Not 100% exactly the same, but close enough to satisfy my cravings. They're a lot cheaper and, as one person mentioned, you can know exactly how many grams of each ingredient you get so you can be ~sure~ of how many calories you're getting. Google "Copycat Chipotle X" for recipes, like "copycat chipotle rice" or "copycat chipotle black beans" etc.

I know this totally isn't what you asked and I went on a tangent...yes you can, but here is another idea too!

Mmmmm- need to try that! That way, I can still have sour cream and guacamole, but 1/3 or so of what they pile on at the restaurant...
  • thatrabidgirl
    thatrabidgirl Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat at Chipotle regularly because it's right next to my job. They have the nutritional information online so you can get an approximation on the amount of calories you're eating. I usually get a chicken burrito bowl with brown rice and black beans, mild sauce, some cheese, and lettuce. I only eat half of it in one serving though, because it is like 600-700 calories per bowl, and then I eat the other half for dinner or something. YMMV on the regular burritos, the wraps themselves are 300 calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I still eat it. I go for the burrito bowl, myself. Sometimes I choose to add my own sour cream or guacamole at home where I can control the portions a little easier. Not always, though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you be able to eat Chipotle and still lose weight? Losing weight is about calories in being less than your calories out. You can do that at Chipotle, McDonalds, cooking at home, eating at a four star restaurant, eating clean, eating dirty, eating vegan, eating low carb, eating whatever way you choose, as long as there is a calorie deficit.

I really will never understand why people try to make this harder than it needs to be.
  • ellenmarie319
    ellenmarie319 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I'm eating my Chipotle copycat bowl for lunches this week. Grilled mojito lime chicken, lettuce, and homemade corn salsa and guac ( I knew how to make guac before Chipotle told the world), and a sprinkle of cheese. Everything is measured out and comes up 478 calories with balanced macros for me. Pretty good, but still can't replace the occasional Chipotle trip though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat there at least once, or twice a week, and have still lost nearly 60 lbs. :)

Romain lettuce
    black beans
    barbacoa
    fajita veggies
    Green salsa

Under 400 cals!

The only mark is that there is a TON of sodium in their food, but sodium isn't something I care to watch because I don't have high blood pressure, and I drink a tankfull of water every day.

Yeah, that's basically what I do--I usually get a fajita bowl with pork or chicken and the hottest salsa plus tomatoes and no lettuce, but otherwise the same, and it's generally 400 or under.

I eat the whole thing, and don't consider it a calorie bomb at all.

The only change since before I started losing weight was that I don't get the rice anymore, since it doesn't add much to my taste. (I always preferred the bowl to the other options because you can eat it with a fork--I hate messy food.)

On rare occasion (well, I only do Chipotle maybe once a month anyway) I might get the guac too, which does add a good many calories, but still fits into what I consider reasonable for a lunch.

As others have said, I'm not sure why you couldn't eat Chipotle (or anything else) and lose weight. Chipotle actually makes it extremely convenient with the calorie calculator.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Romain lettuce
    black beans
    barbacoa
    fajita veggies
    Green salsa

Under 400 cals!

Yeah, that's basically what I do--I usually get pork or chicken and the hottest salsa plus tomatoes and no lettuce, but otherwise the same, and it's generally 400 or under.

I eat the whole thing, and don't consider it a calorie bomb at all.

On rare occasion (well, I only do Chipotle maybe once a month anyway) I might get the guac too, which does add a good many calories, but still fits into what I consider reasonable for a lunch.

On the right day, I'll fill it up to 800-900 calories by adding cheese, sour cream, and rice. Depends on what I have already eaten, or already have planned out to eat for the rest of the day though. If I happen to not eat breakfast that day, and know that dinner is going to be pretty light (400-600 cals) it is ON at Chipotle. lol

I can't wait to be small enough to walk into that place, and not have people look at me like "wow, look at the fatty heaping all of that crap into the bowl." I could seriously pack away a 2000 calorie meal there.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    For myself, I get the burrito bowl. Instead of the base being rice, I get the mixed veggies. Add steak, (sometimes cheese) salsa, lettuce, 1/2 the SC and 1/2 the guac blah blah.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like the bowls, too. I usually skip the rice and just have beans, steak or carnitas, fajita veggies, pico, and extra lettuce. No cheese or avocado, no chips.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm Chipotle. I eat there around once a week and have lost 58 lbs. Salad bowl for me, add guac.