ladies who have had issues with hormonal imbalances

Options
hey there, not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but here she goes..
I am wondering if there are any ladies on this site who have struggles with hormone imbalances (aside from the normal girl stuff that most men are reading this and laughing).
I am getting checked at for thyroid issues. I'm curious to know how this has effected women as far as gaining and losing weight, just your personal stories if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Replies

• weightoflight
    weightoflight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and it makes it so difficult to lose weight
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have an imbalance in my pituitary (Hyperprolactinemia) but I've found ways to overcome it. In the past it has made me hold on to weight so I just had to up my effort. Good luck on your thyroid. Hopefully it's mild if any imbalance.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    PCOS here-- it seems no matter what I do, I can't lose more than 20 pounds. I'm 40 pounds overweight and it's frustrating to try to get past that hurdle. I've changed my strategy at the moment and have focused less on restricting my calories and more on making sure I eat the right foods and get appropriate physical activity.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    do you find a lot of it is water weight?
    I feel like i am over sensitive to retaining water. is this kind of part of the deal?
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have an excess of estrogen that makes it hard to lose the "soft" look :/ it's all about diet. I can run all day and get small, but the definition will only happen with a lot of careful food prep.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    My hormones are the devil.
    Premature ovarian failure (menopause at the age of 26); thyroidectomy due to cancer in 2005. I think the biggest hurdle for my weight loss has not been my hormones, it's been mental.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    I have an excess of estrogen that makes it hard to lose the "soft" look :/ it's all about diet. I can run all day and get small, but the definition will only happen with a lot of careful food prep.

Or you could lift heavy weights to get hard muscle...
  • ohrandi
    ohrandi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice, but I feel you. I'm battling genetics, PCOS, and depression, all of which make it so hard to lose weight. I just woke up one day and decided enough is enough and I want my life back. I'm determined not to get bitter about it. Yeah, my medications make it easy to gain weight but at the end of the day it's all on me. You just have to work hard every single day and remind yourself it's going to be worth it.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had hypothyroid issues (they seem to be under control now without medicine), but I was insanely tired, freezing (shaking for hours) all the time, and gained a large amount of weight without eating more when I had them. My doctor says they will come and go until the point I will need to be on medicine. At this point though, I have lost 15lbs put on by thyroid, and feel great, and do not need medicine.
  • seckard16
    seckard16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I struggle with weight and other not so fun side effects. Horomones can play a huge role in your success/failure at losing weight and getting healthy. It took me a long time to find what worked for me, and I sill work at it. But number one, see your doctor and get tested and find what you're up against. For me, I have hypo which means my metabolism is slower. It also means I get fatigue. I have PCOS, which means I have insulin resistance, as well as carry for water weight and gain all my weight in my midsection. I have higher testosterone, which also causes issues. It took a lot of research And trial and error. But if i hadn't gone to the doctor and found out all those things, I wouldn't have found solutions to make them work for me, rather than against me. For example, my higher testosterone levels means I benefit more by doing HIIT and WEIGHT training vs simply cardio. Carrying extra muscle leads to fat loss for me. My fatigue, I combat with supplements and pure grit to get myself to the gym. My diet is in check now because I know I battle insulin resistance and need to intake less carbs than someone else.

Feel free to reach out if you need support or a friend!
  • LisaTRM
    LisaTRM Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS, but had a complete hysterectomy in 2008. I struggled with with before and after. I am currently on HRT to help with all of the hormonal symptoms. Since my surgery I have gained about 40lbs! It is very frustrating. Most of my weight gain is in my belly. I have found that eating a low carb diet has helped with this,but it is very hard to stick with long term. I have been battling the same issues for about 10 years now. Good luck with your journey.
  • BhawnaTyagi
    BhawnaTyagi Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey even i have thyroid its better to stop thinking about diet and start exercising all we need a good instructor who can give a push for our hard work as thyroid make us lazy
  • JoJoVan96
    JoJoVan96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with PCOS (and the metabolic syndrome that comes with it) since I was a teenager. The only time I was ever able to lose any decent amount of weight was when I went through boot camp. And as soon as I was out of the service it all came back on, and then some! I'm trying to get back on track right now, and doc is putting me on Metformin to help with the insulin resistance issues. Chuck an eating disorder on top of that pile and it gets a little discouraging sometimes! But I just keep trying, because I know eventually we'll find the right combination of meds/food/exercise/therapy that will work!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    PCOS
    metabolic syndrome
    primary hypothyroidism
    Hashimoto's Disease
    pituitary failure/adult HGH deficiency

I've also had a hysterectomy and I've had my gallbladder removed.

I've still managed to lose 90+ and keep it off for several years. For me, the keys are lots of exercise and a moderate-carb diet.
  • dakoik
    dakoik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always been heavy since puberty. I rarely ate junk food or a lot. I'm not very physically active, but I did not sit around all day. Despite these factors, I was always heavy. And on top of that, my periods became more and more irregular as I became older until eventually my period just stopped.

After many years later (and much denial and getting-over-my-fears in my part), I recently decided to go to an OB/GYN. I found out that I was diagnosed with PCOS mostly due to my hardly-existent periods and having much more testosterone than estrogen in my blood. I was prescribed to birth control to regulate my periods. My OB also warned be about the side effects of the birth control: namely the additional weight on top of my already obese weight.

So this lit a fire on my *kitten* to actively do more work on at least maintaining my weight. I started going to a gym (doing a very beginner-like routine - mostly light cardio for about 25 mins) and tried to adjust my diet (using fitnesspal yay~). Within a three month "trial" period for my prescription, during my check-up appointment, my OB/GYN noticed I lost a noticeable amount of weight without having to weigh me (which she pointed out was odd considering the use of birth control and the amount of time I've taken it).

I'm not sure if the weight loss was just the hormonal adjustment, maintaining exercise and diet, or even a mental thing, but this was definitely a confidence booster and inspired me to keep at it.

I definitely feel more confident and much better about myself. A friend even said that energy/aura I exert is brighter now, like I can finally see the colors more vividly.

After conversing with a lot of friends, I know that my case is rare and may not apply to a lot of people. However, what I got out of this is that hormones play an important part to a woman's body. It affects her mood, her body, and her mind.

I'm still far from reaching my personal weight and body goals, but I'm not going to let little things like hormonal imbalances get in my way. Good luck in your journey, friends. You're not alone. :smile:
  • missallenxox
    Options
    thank you so much to everyone who posted and shared their personal stories. I wouldn't say I'm looking for a blame, but i feel like seriously i eat better than all my friends and there is no reason i am not losing weight really
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Open your diary?

One could eat much better than the average 25-year-old American and still be a LONG way from healthy or dietary.
  • missallenxox
    Options
    its open lol
  • Msbennett709
    Msbennett709 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Omg so glad to find you!!! I have issues big time with hormone imbalance and the doctors don't seem to care. My TCH was off a little so my doc decided to put me on .05 mg of synthroid. I tried it for a month but couldn't continue. My hormones have always been sensitive. I couldn't take birth control ever because my hormones would go so out of whack I would turn into a physco .. No joke.. My periods are pretty regular however last 7-8 days then I ovulate which my hormones then are up and down depending on the month, that is then followed by 3 solid days of PMS where I am so cranky I could explode ( my poor family) then go through another 3 days a week before my period where I could eat anything in site!!! Everything in site more like it... Then I get a few normal days, then a solid five days of being so tired and uncomfortably cold to the bone and just drained... Then it's period time and it all starts again. Not to mention the water retention. It's so bad if I eat any thing salty I literally have water sacs under my eyes and hands and feet are just swollen. As a female who clearly is I tune with what's happening with her body I went to my doc numerous times and said my hormones are off I can tell there is something going on... No one cares. I noise can't take the synthroid though... I thought I was gonna lose my mind. My body is very sensitive to meds though and always has been. But my hormones went out of whack whe I was on it. Felt like I was loosing my *kitten*. Anyhow, that's my lovely hormonal story.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I am getting checked at for thyroid issues. I'm curious to know how this has effected women as far as gaining and losing weight, just your personal stories if you wouldn't mind sharing.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost just like everybody else: by eating fewer calories than I burn.

Hands down, the best weight-loss advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1