Best carryon food for flying?

Options
2»

Replies

• FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I take Quest bars, nuts, dried fruit, Quest protein chips, and anything made by Fiber One. I try not to bring on anything smelly like eggs or jerky.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and a tuna fish sandwich works for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky and nuts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Hard boiled eggs and a tuna fish sandwich works for me.

Please do not bring tuna on a plane.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Jerky
    Nuts
    Protein bars
    Hardboiled eggs
    Sandwiches
    Fruit
    Veggies
    Dry cereal
    String cheese
    Pepperoni slices to snack on

I always bring gum and mio as well

Please don't bring hard boiled eggs on a plane.

Thank you.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Luna bars when I need a snack. I keep one or two in my purse for easy snacks.
  • ltangodownl
    ltangodownl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A box of quest nutrition(warning do not over eating it since the amount of fibers)
  • elphie754
    Options
    A box of quest nutrition(warning do not over eating it since the amount of fibers)

Gross. I can barely eat one bar of these, can't even imagine eating an entire box. I really can't understand how people like these.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind if you are traveling abroad or even to places like Hawaii, you may not be able to carry fruits or vegetables into or out of the area. I have had an orange taken away and a banana taken away before leaving the plane.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Almonds, apples/pears, and the babybel cheese wheels are my go-to choices.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Any flights less than 10hrs are a good opportunity for intermittent fasting and drinking lots of water.

Quite often I've found that if I bring stuff I will eat it all because I'm bored, but if I don't have it I don't really get hungry anyway.

Sometimes I pre-order the 'fruit plate' meal option, which is normally just fruit and quite often a yogurt or sometimes something bizarre, like a brownie.

Bagels with cream cheese travel quite well, as they don't seem to get too soggy like sandwiches do.

... or oat cakes or Ryvita, and I'm never tempted to eat those unless I'm really hungry.

The last flight I was on there was an announcement asking all the passengers to refrain from eating nuts. Apparently someone on board had an allergy.

Boiled eggs on a plane? Seriously? (Ew...)

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Jerky is low cal, and has lots of protein to keep you feeling full.
  • tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    Keep in mind if you are traveling abroad or even to places like Hawaii, you may not be able to carry fruits or vegetables into or out of the area. I have had an orange taken away and a banana taken away before leaving the plane.

Your absolutely right no fresh fruit leaving Hawaii is acceptable. I go every year. Some how pineapple is excluded. I've never heard of packaged foods not being allowed. Maybe I've just been lucky.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips! My travel times vary - last month I had 6 hour flights, next week's trip is under 3 hours.

Looks like I'm going to go make a quick trip to the store for some of the suggestions you guys have made!
  • elphie754
    Options
    I would bring a few options with you. Most flights have been steering away from offering nuts, and have been offering things like pretzels instead.

Just want to throw this out ther for those who may not think it is serious: if a flight asks you to avoid a certain food (like nuts) because someone is allergic, please adhere to it. Being in anaphylaxis/watching someone go into anaphylaxis on a plane is NOT fun and they will have to land at the closest airport, so you will just be causing a delay in travel. I say this because the last flight I was on, someone was selfish enough to say "well then They shouldn't fly" and proceeded to open a peanut butter and jelly snandwich. A 15 y/o girl ended up going into anaphylaxis, had to use two epi pens and flight had to land immediately. Please be respectful of others.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I totally midunderstood post. I thought you meant carrion. :D
    For airplane rides something that won't cause bloating or dehydration. Maybe small fruit packs. Not dried fruit, by fruit or fruit in juice.