Pregnant and trying not to gain a lot of weight!

Options
nlewis22
nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
edited May 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi all,
I am 14 weeks pregnant and so far I haven't gained a ton of weight, but it has been hard! Is there anyone else out there who is in the same boat, or anyone who has had a successful pregnancy without gaining a bunch of weight?
Before people start freaking out about why I don't want to gain weight; I'm already considered obese, I DO NOT NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT. I am eating 2,550 calories per day, I am not starving myself. I have talked about this to my OB (I am not stupid) and she said it was fine for me to maintain my weight and not gain any. Really, I'm looking for WOMEN who have had children and gone through this with minimal weight gain so they can offer me ideas on exercise and snacks, etc.
Positive feedback only, please!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    actually even patients who are obese should gain at least 10-15lbs through out the pregnancy.

You need to speak to your ob about this....if you consider not gaining weight you could be putting the baby at risk.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    19 weeks, my doctor told me I should only gain 10-20 lbs. Exercising (walking 3-4 times per week) and watching what I eat (logging everything, and going with smaller meals so I can have snacks in morning and afternoon) have helped me stay within a reasonable weight gain. I also bring healthy snacks with me to work (so I won't be tempted to pig out on all the high-calorie goodies that so often show up in the breakroom).
    But yes, you should definitely talk to your doctor about how many calories you should be eating per day, and at what point(s) you need to increase your caloric intake.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant, and have gained 30 pounds so far. At first I was gaining weight too fast, so I started calorie counting again. I stick to about 2000-2300 calories a day and try to get 8000-10000 steps in on my fitbit a day. Doing that seemed to work pretty well for me.

PS--I started out at a healthy weight.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about how much weight he/she feels is safe for you to gain.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes I have had a healthy pregnancy and lost 10lbs during first trimester and gained only 13 during the rest of my pregnancy, I exercised and logged my food regularly. Currently pregnant and not as successfully as last gained 11lbs so far at 6 months. Sorry some keys on my keyboard are not functioning making typing difficult. =) It is completly possible to gain minimaly but you must put in the effort required, some pregnancies are easier to do that then other last I had no cravings current Cheesecake!!!!! or other sugary things.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Being a nursing student, I totally agree with those who are telling you to talk to your doctor about this! Even if you are overweight according to BMI or whatever measure you are using to determine this, you still need to gain anywhere from 10-15 pounds during your pregnancy for the baby to be healthy, and you still need to eat enough to get both you and the baby all the needed nutrients. It really is best to consult with your doctor about this. Often, they can help set you up with a nutritionist who specializes in pregnancy, and can help you come up with a healthy meal and exercise plan to only gain what is needed for a healthy pregnancy. Good luck! :)
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is not the time to worry about a number on the scale. (Trust me, I know - I've given birth to 5 awesome little men!) Instead of focusing on weight, focus on nutrition. Set some healthy goals - drinking enough water, getting more vegetables and fruits, making sure that you get protein, etc. For me, my cravings for sweets went through the roof when I was pregnant, so I had to set limits on that so I wouldn't over indulge. Remember that the "eating for 2" is a myth. You only need to increase your calories by about 300/day, and that is only in the 2nd half of your pregnancy. At this point, you don't want to lose weight. But it's more important than ever to be healthy. And if you develop healthy habits now, then after you deliver (and recover a bit), the easier it will be to continue to be healthy and you can worry about losing weight then.

And, just as an additional note, the more active I was during my pregnancies, the faster I recovered. I was no athlete while pregnant, but walking and swimming were my friends! The one pregnancy where I was on bedrest was the one where it took months to feel close to normal after I delivered.

Congratulations on your baby and best wishes!
  • nlewis22
    Options
    I have spoken to my OB, she said it was fine if I wanted to maintain my weight. I wanted support and encouragement. I eat 2,550 calories a day, I am not starving myself. Sallydurkin, thank you for your help.
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your doctor would give you the best advice on weight gain. Each person is different, so his/her medical advice will be customized to you.

In my particular case, my doctor did not want me to gain weight with either of my pregnancies, because of my weight at the time I got pregnant.

I gained 0 pounds with the first pregnancy, and I gained 5 pounds with the second. I also followed my nutritionist's diet guidelines to the tee. Both babies were healthy.
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't diet while you are pregnant unless its under the advice of a medical professional. (I don't count "Nutritionists" as medical professionals by the way)
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't think you get to pick the feedback you receive. I would agree with Chris, focus on the pregnancy, don't worry about weight until your baby is born, and then get to work!! :)
  • lasarabande
    lasarabande Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I gained 70 lbs at pregnancy. Delivered 39 weeks 6 days. I'm surprised my OB didn't say anything. Delivered a healthy 9lb4oz kid. I also lost it all with mostly breastfeeding, good eating, and exercise.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My doctor was of the opinion that I should gain a little with both my babies but keep it under 20 lbs since I was fat already. I just tried to enjoy being pregnant (which I hated). Without any intervention on my part I gained right around 20lbs with each baby. My 1st was 7lbs 10oz and the second was 9 lbs 6oz. My current weight is actually 10lbs less than when I got pregnant with son #1. Don't stress yourself out while pregnant. My doc told me that you can still do any kind of exercise you like provided that you can still carry on a conversation while doing it. He said after month 3 he wanted me to limit any heavy lifting but that walking, planks, etc were all great.

Oh, and I edited this because I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!

Seriously, you are growing a person. That is hard work. Just remember to be easy with yourself.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just had my baby in January. I logged on MFP every single day, just as I did pre-pregnancy. Only difference being that I wasn't losing weight anymore (went from obese to 20 lbs overweight). First trimester I my calorie goal was to maintain, 2nd trimester I upped it 150-250 calories, and 3rd trimester was 350+ additional calories. I swam, for the most part, 3x a week. Gained 24.6 lbs when all was said and done. Baby was 7 lbs. I'm 16 weeks post partum and I'm within a pound of my pre-pregnancy weight.

My advice would be to just not stress out about the scale. Be mindful of what and how you're eating. If you want to log, continue to do so. And by all means, keep your OB in the know about your intake and such.
  • swimcoach07
    swimcoach07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would definitely log your food throughout. The current guidelines say that women only need 300 calories extra/day to sustain a healthy pregnancy. I also second hollydubs85's ideas with walking and eating healthy snacks.

I gained more than I would have liked when I was pregnant and plan to be more vigilant with eating/exercise when/if I get pregnant again. Good luck!
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If your doctor says it's ok (which you obviously stated and all these peeps can't seem to read) then good for you! I know my mom said she was actually thinner after both of her pregnancies than she was when she started, just because she wasn't hungry. She too was considered overweight or obese. Everyone is different. I say listen to your doctor and do what feels right for you and your baby!
    Congratulations to you and your sweet baby - I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Ok, for those saying don't worry about the scale, keep in mind that OP is obese. There are a lot of possible complications of pregnancy just from that, and there is definitely a point (I'm not sure exactly where it is) where OBs will say it's okay to not gain, because the body has enough fat stores to support the growing baby as it is. So OP, if your doctor is on board with you, I think that's an okay option.

Like @Ninkyou I used MFP to log during 2 pregnancies. The first of those I was about 20 pounds overweight at the start. I set MFP to maintain (and later to gain .5 pound per week), stayed active with walking and swimming, and tried to eat back the exercise calories. The second time around, I was only about 5 pounds over my ideal, and started with "maintain" then went up to the gain .5 pound. But I was much sicker that time, and couldn't be active much at all (even standing up hurt, let alone a trip to the grocery store!) and ended up being much looser with my food tracking and so I gained 35 pounds. It's all good, I had healthy babies both times and am working on losing the baby weight now.

So, OP, you can set MFP to your weight goals, or even custom set your calories. Be as active as you can (again, with doctor approval) and do your best to eat well. Focusing on lots of fruit and vegetables and lean protein will be good for you and baby, but allow some wiggle room for cravings, etc. And if you end up gaining more than you had hoped, try to roll with it, and keep your focus on having a healthy baby. You're making the best effort for a healthy pregnancy, so you're on the right track!

And congratulations!! :smiley:
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Surely even if you don't gain fat, you'll gain 10-20lb by the end of pregnancy? You lose something like 10-20lb post partum in the form of the baby, placenta, blood and fluids (which you have extra of during pregnancy). None of that is personal weight gain, just temporary.

NHS guidelines state eating normally (ie maintenance) and an extra 1400cals/week in third tri. In basic terms that would mean gaining something like 6lb in personal weight plus temporary weight gain.

IMO nothing wrong with maintaining, as long as you're following guidelines and eating healthily, and adding those extra few cals in the third tri (200 a day, that's like a slice of toast and some cream cheese!).

Best wishes with your pregnancy! IME I gained the majority of my personal weight /actual fat in the third tri, as I git crazy hungry. But you will gain weight from early on just in terms of fluids, blood, the baby... 4-6lb gain by end of first tri is a normal and healthy gain. Just follow the food you're eating and don't focus on the weight, so if you're eating 2550 you just keep going and no need to reduce that to prevent gain. Only time I stepped on scales during my pregnancies was at doctor appointments. Don't weigh yourself post partum until at least 2-3 weeks to allow for the majority of fluids and blood to go as you lose something like 10lb in that period, after the initial 'loss' at labour.
  • nlewis22
    Options
    @mbcieslak87 @mathjulz @jumblejups Thank you! I am trying really hard because I already know I'm at a higher risk than a "normal" pregnancy. I think what made me nervous was that it all seem to hit over night. I'm up roughly 8 pounds, but I think it all came on in the last month or so, and so I am hoping it is the extra blood, etc. and not personal weight, I think the thing I'm struggling with most is exercise. I'm just exhausted at the end of the day and it takes me longer to "get going" in the morning. Everyone said that I'd have more energy in the 2nd, and while I'm not falling asleep at work anymore (j/k), I still don't feel like doing anything more than a walk with my dogs. I also garden, but after an 30 mins-hour, I'm pooped.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @nlewis22 that first trimester exhaustion is totally normal. For me, it got better when I hit the 2nd trimester both times.

Again, people don't realize how hard growing another person is. You see these women with like 4 kids and are like, if they can do it surely I shouldn't have issues.

I'm assuming you aren't a Duggar. Go easy on yourself. Rest. Try to eat healthy. 2nd trimester is way better.