Tired of being FLUFFY. Potassium deficient

Options
I'll be sixty in Oct. back in the day I was fit and trim. Then I became a sedentary truck driver. Oops. My goal is to be strong and two sizes smaller by the big 6 0. Looking for potassium rich foods(I do know many, but think y'all may have suggestions that have not occurred to me) . I believe my problem stems from a fat rich diet. Ps. I can't live without my almonds- i must count them more accurately and consistently I will concede. I hope everyone is having a lovely day and I wish you well. Thank you for having me in your group.

Replies

• SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Watermelon, bananas, coconut water, oat milk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Potassium is in everything. Not literally, but almost. Nuts, mushrooms, tomato sauce, oranges, melons, squash, leafy greens, bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, white beans, yogurt, fish, avocado, asparagus, green beans, soy, kiwi, dried fruits ...
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not to rain on everyone's commentary, but this link was helpful for me when I was considering low potassium levels. Good input from everyone who contributed....I definitely utilized the info! Hope you can too!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10139810/low-potassium-levels#latest
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Hey, I missed the part where you said you eat a lot of almonds. Almonds are a good source of potassium. It's odd you'd be low if you eat a lot of them. Did your doctor tell you that you were deficient? Do you have any kidney problems?
  • KyleeNicolle
    KyleeNicolle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fish has a significant amount of potassium too. As well as beef sirloin and poultry =)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just signed up today, too. Are you deficient only in potassium or are you deficient in other nutrients too? I've had trouble absorbing nutrients in the past, but that usually leads to a bunch of deficiencies.

I think beans like white beans, lima beans and adzuki beans are high in potassium as is acorn squash.
  • xyzzzrubyannie
    xyzzzrubyannie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I just started tracking my diet again. The first day I got less than 1/4 recommended potassium. Today I mad a salad w/ greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cucs etc. added grapes, almonds, sunflower seeds, which put me at half of my goal. I am confident that after dinner I will be at or reasonably close. I sure do appreciate all the suggestions. Aside from my mushroom allergy
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Take the potassium here on MFP with a grain of salt. MOST nutrition labels do NOT include potassium even if a food is rich in it. Unless you have had blood tests confirming a low level of potassium, chances are you're getting enough.
  • xyzzzrubyannie
    Options
    Oh, I was using the guide for nutrition and looking at my calcium ,potassium ,sodium ,etc. I have a constant battle with fatigue, I also need to get my thyroid checked. I do try to eat pretty healthy and have cut back on my fat intake. I am concentrating on eating a lot more vegetables and hope that will help.I really do appreciate your input thank you
  • xyzzzrubyannie
    Options
    Deficient was probably not the correct word to use. I discovered that almond's potassium is not listed on the nutrition chart. I'm doing a lot more research on what I eat, and I believe I will trust my instincts a tad better. Learn and apply what I can, don't go crazy over it all. Nice to have a ROUGH guide, but no longer taking it as exact measurement. Just a guide. I like that
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Deficient was probably not the correct word to use. I discovered that almond's potassium is not listed on the nutrition chart. I'm doing a lot more research on what I eat, and I believe I will trust my instincts a tad better. Learn and apply what I can, don't go crazy over it all. Nice to have a ROUGH guide, but no longer taking it as exact measurement. Just a guide. I like that

You can get full nutrient information on the USDA nutrition web site. Here is a link.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov//
  • xyzzzrubyannie
    Options
    Thanks