Why Use MFP?

Options
SuggaD
SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
For those who are on "diets" of any type, why do you use MFP? This has been a question in my mind for some time. I get the debate about food quality, etc. for those just counting calories, but I don't understand why those following the X, Y, or Z diet use MFP at all. Interested in your honest answers.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    So they can tell us all how much better they are then we are?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm here for shenanigans only.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I used it for tracking my calories and got me here

29509743.png

I still use it to maintain
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Pretty much this. I didn't use MFP when I was in my active weight loss phase. Stumbled upon it during my transition into maintenance and I keep coming back, mostly for the entertainment value of the forums :p
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a "special" diet, so I'm guessing, but what if they're on MFP for similar reasons as other people - track calories/macros, support, motivation, information, random dumpster fires, and kitteh/puppeh gifs?
    m5b26yhibfoh.gif
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Solid.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't use it so much to log anymore, but the recipe builder has been great. I have a ton of recipes stored on here.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind paraphrasing, are you really asking "those who continously say CICO doesn't work, and that XYZ foods are the way to lose weight, then why are you on a calorie counting website?" (I've been wondering the same thing...I assume they don't actually use MFP, and are just in the discussion sections).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I don't do the "special" diets. I just eat what I want in moderation, so I use mfp for the typical reasons. But I've often wondered why the "special dieters" are here too. It seems that most of them like to post about how wonderful their paleo and herbalife is and how it's far more superior then counting calories, so I've often thought then why the heck are you on this site???? But I'm guessing it's likely because they know that their fad diet won't work in the long run so they stick around for when it fails.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    If you don't mind paraphrasing, are you really asking "those who continously say CICO doesn't work, and that XYZ foods are the way to lose weight, then why are you on a calorie counting website?" (I've been wondering the same thing...I assume they don't actually use MFP, and are just in the discussion sections).

Yes. That's what I'm talking about. The low carbers (they annoy me most of all), paleo, military dieter, Whole30, etc. They are maddening.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Yes. That's what I'm talking about. The low carbers (they annoy me most of all), paleo, military dieter, Whole30, etc. They are maddening.

Gotcha. They are either combining quality and quantity efforts (which could work well), but I highly suspect they're not logging at all and just writing in the forums.

I'm a CICO logger myself, but I am conscientious about eating a lot of fruit, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. I guess I try to "eat clean" most of the day and avoid a lot of processed food. That's for health reasons but also because I get to eat a lot more volume when I eat most natural food. And I like to eat a high volume!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Maybe they use it to track their carb intake??
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like the barcode option when logging food on my diary and them looking at all the nutrients I have consumed during the day and whether I'm having the right amount of everything. I also like the stories on the forums and why other people are on here. Everyone has their own unique journey.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    What else would I do with my 8 hour workday?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I use it for the gifs, of course.

15-Strange-But-True.gif
    Cant. Stop. Watching.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the diet you follow, tracking your input is critical . There's an old project management adage that says "what gets measured gets done" and I think it applies to weight loss too. If you don't track and record you food you tend to eat more than you realize. The act of recording keeps you mindful
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Gotcha. They are either combining quality and quantity efforts (which could work well), but I highly suspect they're not logging at all and just writing in the forums.

I'm a CICO logger myself, but I am conscientious about eating a lot of fruit, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. I guess I try to "eat clean" most of the day and avoid a lot of processed food. That's for health reasons but also because I get to eat a lot more volume when I eat most natural food. And I like to eat a high volume!

Macro tracking. It's not just about CICO - CICO is the sum total of all macros eaten throughout the day. Further, the application allows one to track micro nutrients as well.

Which is more maddening, questioning the honest efforts of those who are on specific diet plans by using an application as it's been intended to use for a variety of tracking purposes - or just using it to track how many calories eaten in a day?

I would think the madness is not understanding what you are eating and its contribution to the overall intake rather than some total calorie number created out of thin air.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am firm believer in accountability. If I log my food and exercise accurately every single day, I am informed about my CICO and can track my macros. If I go too high in one area and don't like it, at least I can backtrack and see who the culprit was. Like sodium content for example. Where did I go wrong? Make the necessary adjustments and move on. Accountability.

MFP is a tool to be used to meet a goal or maintain the course. Everyone has the right to keep track of what they eat in spite of their dietary preferences - paleo, military, atkins, Whole30, etc. I would assume they use it the same as those who are doing their own thing, trying to eat well, be active and find that sweet spot where they are accomplishing what they have set out to accomplish. After all, isn't that what this site is for? Oh and shennanigans, of course! ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Macro tracking. It's not just about CICO - CICO is the sum total of all macros eaten throughout the day. Further, the application allows one to track micro nutrients as well.

Which is more maddening, questioning the honest efforts of those who are on specific diet plans by using an application as it's been intended to use for a variety of tracking purposes - or just using it to track how many calories eaten in a day?

I would think the madness is not understanding what you are eating and its contribution to the overall intake rather than some total calorie number created out of thin air.

I think you forgot to add your favorite completely unrelated catch phrase to that post.