Women and "Heavy" Lifting

Options
I'm always curious what weight ranges people are up to. I'm about 307 and I workout at home. I have dumbbells ranging from 6-12lbs and have developed what I think is a good upper routine with those and the resistance bands I have (body weight for lower body exercises). My routine is basically floor chest press, one arm rows, lying extensions, bicep curl, lat pull downs (bands), chops, shoulder press.

However, I'm concerned I'm not lifting heavy ENOUGH. I couldn't even pick up the 25lb weight at Target last week but now I'm regretting not getting the 20lb instead of the 12lb. I know this all depends on a person's individual capability but I'm just curious how heavy some women are lifting.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Super heavy, I'm talking over a hundred pounds. There's tons of threads here where the women who do lift heavy post their stats. You should run a search on it, you'd be inspired.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink this. Just keep lifting progressively heavier weights...when they're all too light, buy heavier weights, lift them, and keep doing this over and over. You won't regret it :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If it is in your budget, I would suggest getting either handles plus plates (something like this) or a set of adjustable powerblocks. That way you can up the weight as soon as you need to rather than having to go out and buy a new set of dumbbells each time.

I have a set of dumbbell handles and 200# of plates for them. Plus I have a bar (just 15#, not a 45# Olympic bar) and larger plates plus my dumbbell plates fit on the bar. You will find a large range of ability on MFP, as far as how much we are lifting. Right now my program has me benching in the 80s/90s, squatting in the 70s, deadlift in the 120s-140s, ohp in the 40s/50s, and then I do some extra stuff like rows with 45# dumbbells, 170# hip thrusts, etc. But then I curl much lower at 17.5# per arm since they are smaller muscles.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I weigh 130. I am not one of the strongest women at my gym but I can deadlift 150, back squat (proper form) 110, strict press 85, and bench press 90. I realize I am working with a barbell. When I do bicep curls with a dumbell I use 20, tricep extentions, 15, one arm rows around 15 too.

If it gets too easy for you, go back and buy the heavier weights. It also may benefit you to see about a personal trainer who can watch your form and make any corrections. I could not have gotten where I am now without my trainers.

edited to add...any movement is good, resistance bands and body weight exercises are awesome too, such as air squats, planks, modified push ups etc...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Above info is good. Lifting "heavy" just means lifting heavy for you. I've been working Stronglifts 5X5 for about six months now. I'm up to 110 lb bench press, 205 pound deadlift, 70 pound OHP (hard freakin' suckers), 95 pound rows, and 170 lb squat. I do biceps curls with 35 lb dumbbells, but I can only do 3 sets of 5. Once it starts getting easy, I up my weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am 115 pounds, dealift 175 pounds and squat 145 pounds........even with those stats I am a weakling compared to other women. Just do your best and try to push yourself.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I've seen the fitness blender folks use the power blocks, I think I will get those. I dumped the gym (that I never went to) when I bought a treadmill last year but I'll see if there are trainers with their own shops.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    Don't overthink this. Just keep lifting progressively heavier weights...when they're all too light, buy heavier weights, lift them, and keep doing this over and over. You won't regret it :)

^^^ Absolutely this, however, I was always curious myself when I started lifting. At 138# last time I tested 1RM's Back Squat 215# DL 240# OHP 95#, Clean and Jerk 140#
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I've seen the fitness blender folks use the power blocks, I think I will get those. I dumped the gym (that I never went to) when I bought a treadmill last year but I'll see if there are trainers with their own shops.

I see them on Craigslist a lot. You might check there but be sure that the person isn't selling them because they are broken ;)
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy = whatever is heavy for you, not what is heavy for other people

keep it going op
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I weigh 116 lbs. I've been lifting for a little over a year.

Monday I squatted 150 lbs for five reps, but I've done up to 165 lbs before.
    Yesterday I bench pressed 105 lbs for one rep, and that's the most I've done so far.
    Today I deadlifted 170 lbs for five reps, but I've done up to 200 lbs before.

For accessory lifts, which I do four sets of 10-12, I use 15-20 lb dumbbells for bicep curls, 20-30 lbs dumbbells for seated military press, 85-95 lbs for stiff legged deadlifts, 95 lbs for hip thrusts, 25 lb dumbbells for incline chest press, 25 lb dumbbells for one-arm rows, and 50-60 lbs for barbell rows.

I do a few other exercises regularly, but I think you get the point.

We all start somewhere and it's important to not compare yourself to others or think negative things about yourself because you're not lifting as much as others. I have some bad *kitten* ladies as MFP friends that are way stronger than I am, but it's more valuable to compare where I am now to where I used to be instead of comparing where I am now to where they are now, how long they've been lifting compared to how long I've been lifting, etc. We're all different and have different strengths and abilities. If you're lifting as heavy as you can while maintaining good form, you're doing what you need to do.

However, it's also important not to underestimate yourself and to constantly challenge yourself. I'm not sure I believe that you can't pick up a 25 lb dumbbell. That's the size of a toddler, and most adults can lift a toddler without a problem. I wouldn't expect you to do bicep curls with 25 lb dumbbells, but using those dumbbells to do squats or dumbbell deadlifts are most likely very doable for most beginners.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    Options
    Another quick question about lower body. At my weight I figure squats/deadlifts/lunges are heavy enough without extra weight. I only do legs once a week because afterwards I can hardly walk or sit. Any thoughts about that?
  • HoundstoothMFP
    Options
    Ha! Yes I could hold it but I couldn't actually lift the thing. Thanks for the advice.
    I weigh 116 lbs. I've been lifting for a little over a year.

Monday I squatted 150 lbs for five reps, but I've done up to 165 lbs before.
    Yesterday I bench pressed 105 lbs for one rep, and that's the most I've done so far.
    Today I deadlifted 170 lbs for five reps, but I've done up to 200 lbs before.

For accessory lifts, which I do four sets of 10-12, I use 15-20 lb dumbbells for bicep curls, 20-30 lbs dumbbells for seated military press, 85-95 lbs for stiff legged deadlifts, 95 lbs for hip thrusts, 25 lb dumbbells for incline chest press, 25 lb dumbbells for one-arm rows, and 50-60 lbs for barbell rows.

I do a few other exercises regularly, but I think you get the point.

We all start somewhere and it's important to not compare yourself to others or think negative things about yourself because you're not lifting as much as others. I have some bad *kitten* ladies as MFP friends that are way stronger than I am, but it's more valuable to compare where I am now to where I used to be instead of comparing where I am now to where they are now, how long they've been lifting compared to how long I've been lifting, etc. We're all different and have different strengths and abilities. If you're lifting as heavy as you can while maintaining good form, you're doing what you need to do.

However, it's also important not to underestimate yourself and to constantly challenge yourself. I'm not sure I believe that you can't pick up a 25 lb dumbbell. That's the size of a toddler, and most adults can lift a toddler without a problem. I wouldn't expect you to do bicep curls with 25 lb dumbbells, but using those dumbbells to do squats or dumbbell deadlifts are most likely very doable for most beginners.

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes! You can get a great lower body workout by just using your body weight! Do air squats, and lunges without weight. You can begin to increase your sets, and eventually begin adding weight when you're ready. You tube has great videos on proper technique
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Yes! You can get a great lower body workout by just using your body weight! Do air squats, and lunges without weight. You can begin to increase your sets, and eventually begin adding weight when you're ready. You tube has great videos on proper technique

I agree. Body-weight exercises are great no matter what size you are. Also, it seems a bit "old school" but I have ankle weights and I do leg floor exercises with those. They work!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Another quick question about lower body. At my weight I figure squats/deadlifts/lunges are heavy enough without extra weight. I only do legs once a week because afterwards I can hardly walk or sit. Any thoughts about that?

In most cases, the heavier you are, the stronger you are. The average 200 lb woman that has been lifting as long as I have will most likely be able to lift more than I can lift. The more weight you carry on a daily basis, the more weight you're able to carry and the stronger you are. So, I don't agree that lower body movements at a high weight are "heavy enough" without extra weight. Then again, "heavy enough" is subjective.

Also keep in mind that just because you're sore after a workout doesn't mean you're lifting as heavy as you can. Any workout your body isn't used to can cause a lot of muscle soreness. If I switch from low rep/heavy weight workouts to high rep/low weight workouts, I'll be really sore the next day or two because my body isn't used to doing that many reps.

FitnessBlender workouts used to leave me really sore, and they sometimes still do. However, I wasn't gaining any noticeable strength doing bodyweight exercises. Even if I have a heavy lifting session and I'm not sore at all the next day, I know I still did more beneficial work than I would have doing a light weight/low rep workout...at least when it comes to my muscles.

If you're not adding weight, more than one lower body day per week would be ideal.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    Options
    Good points. I've been thinking about adding a second leg day at least 2 days before my long run/walks on Sunday. I'll try that next week....

In most cases, the heavier you are, the stronger you are. The average 200 lb woman that has been lifting as long as I have will most likely be able to lift more than I can lift. The more weight you carry on a daily basis, the more weight you're able to carry and the stronger you are. So, I don't agree that lower body movements at a high weight are "heavy enough" without extra weight. Then again, "heavy enough" is subjective.

Also keep in mind that just because you're sore after a workout doesn't mean you're lifting as heavy as you can. Any workout your body isn't used to can cause a lot of muscle soreness. If I switch from low rep/heavy weight workouts to high rep/low weight workouts, I'll be really sore the next day or two because my body isn't used to doing that many reps.

FitnessBlender workouts used to leave me really sore, and they sometimes still do. However, I wasn't gaining any noticeable strength doing bodyweight exercises. Even if I have a heavy lifting session and I'm not sore at all the next day, I know I still did more beneficial work than I would have doing a light weight/low rep workout...at least when it comes to my muscles.

If you're not adding weight, more than one lower body day per week would be ideal.

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Been lifting almost 3 months and I'm up to 140lb. squat, 210 deadlift, 100 bench, and 75 OHP (I weigh 190).

"Heavy" is different for everybody. Keep up the good work, OP. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Try your good friend Craig (craigslist) right now is when all the, "resolution," people realize that they aren't going to use all their fitness equipment and are trying to get rid of them. You can get great deals on fitness equipment right now.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Try your good friend Craig (craigslist) right now is when all the, "resolution," people realize that they aren't going to use all their fitness equipment and are trying to get rid of them. You can get great deals on fitness equipment right now.

This^ if you want equipment on the cheap but aren't in any rush Craigslist and gumtree are the way to go! Got my incline bench and squat rack for £ 40, I use adjustable dumbell plates for micro plates £10, the basics allways come up eventually since alot of people buy equipment and give up after a couple of months

Heavy is heavy what's heavy for you, if the last couple of reps are a real struggle then it's heavy lifting. Don't try to match anyone's stats, everyone is different in rates of progression, experience, strength, training and build.

If your curious about average weights lifted 1rpm by body weight and training this chart may help

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html