Abs are easy

Options

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Anything I need to do other than drop to a low body fat percentage and work on them?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Why does he only text me after 10 pm?

Because wife.

Lmao!

• Cryptonomnomicon
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    Anything I need to do other than drop to a low body fat percentage and work on them?

Flattering lighting and proper swelfie technique...

ETA: Language warning!

https://youtu.be/FarGT40V8tc

• CM_73
    Options

LOL!! Love it! I think I'd need more than a good swelfie, but I'll subscribe for the "Bro-tips!"

• Cryptonomnomicon
    edited May 2015
    Options

LOL!! Love it! I think I'd need more than a good swelfie, but I'll subscribe for the "Bro-tips!"

Basically you nailed it, dropping BF% and working out is the solution, I recommend compound lifts-Deadlifts, Squats etc to strengthen your core. You can do isolation work but high reps tend to be an endurance exercise as opposed to making your abs pop (hypertrophy), so add resistance and keep the reps low. Hope that helps.

ETA: I have achieved visible abs in the past, sadly they are currently hiding after a 3 month sabbitical after a bulk and now I have to take time off of lifting due to illness but this is what I achieved with no isolation work just compound lifts and lowering of BF%

hSumAS4.jpg

Also I find the title of this thread misleading in the sense that yes (visible) abs can be easy but the path to achieving them is about execution and consistency. An analogy I would like to use is a backward somersault: seems pretty straight forward in theory, jump up, tuck in flip backwards and land on feet. But the execution is not so easy, it requires practice and persistence and lastly the shape you are currently in plays an integral role.
  • CM_73
    edited May 2015
    Options

Basically you nailed it, dropping BF% and working out is the solution, I recommend compound lifts-Dealifts, Squats etc to strengthen your core. You can do isolation work but high reps tend to be an endurance exercise as opposed to making your abs pop (hypertrophy), so add resistance and keep the reps low. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, it does. I was always under the impression that good abs were mainly down to a low body fat percentage allowing them to show through.
    To be honest, my main goal at the moment is dropping fat so I'm not overly concerned about trying to develop muscle.
    I do do some basic upper body stuff 3 times a week (just press-ups and bicep curls) but it's really just to try and avoid losing too much muscle from my arms and chest, which are naturally quite muscular, whilst I'm dropping weight.
    That's got me thinking though, it probably would do me a lot of good to add a more thorough workout routine, it can only help, right?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise this was in the "success stories" section, probably not the best place for my questions!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    *snip*
    hSumAS4.jpg
    *snip

Everything else is irrelevant.

tumblr_mfykg8t1JT1qgum3lo1_400.gif
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options

Basically you nailed it, dropping BF% and working out is the solution, I recommend compound lifts-Dealifts, Squats etc to strengthen your core. You can do isolation work but high reps tend to be an endurance exercise as opposed to making your abs pop (hypertrophy), so add resistance and keep the reps low. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, it does. I was always under the impression that good abs were mainly down to a low body fat percentage allowing them to show through.
    To be honest, my main goal at the moment is dropping fat so I'm not overly concerned about trying to develop muscle.
    I do do some basic upper body stuff 3 times a week (just press-ups and bicep curls) but it's really just to try and avoid losing too much muscle from my arms and chest, which are naturally quite muscular, whilst I'm dropping weight.
    That's got me thinking though, it probably would do me a lot of good to add a more thorough workout routine, it can only help, right?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise this was in the "success stories" section, probably not the best place for my questions!

I highly recommend adding compound lifts to your routine, many who have success on here would agree it is highly effective and beneficial for many reasons.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    *snip*
    hSumAS4.jpg
    *snip

Everything else is irrelevant.

tumblr_mfykg8t1JT1qgum3lo1_400.gif

pQRkdJD.jpg

• glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Why is the rum always gone?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    Why is the rum always gone?

mkZmC3E.gif

• CM_73
    Options

I highly recommend adding compound lifts to your routine, many who have success on here would agree it is highly effective and beneficial for many reasons.

Excellent, thanks for the links, much appreciated.
    I'll get reading and make a start on that this week.
  • sterling_briggs93
    sterling_briggs93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Anything I
    [quote

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lower body fat, till you are sub 15% body fat, then I would suggest working abs everyday with resistance. 2-3 sets
  • sterling_briggs93
    Options
    Rayman79 wrote: »
    How do we end world hunger?

T-virus
  • sterling_briggs93
    Options
    introducing your self would be nice.......

What more do you need to know
  • sterling_briggs93
    Options
    Where is my grandmother's ring? It fell off my finger somewhere in my house (I lost weight and my finger got skinny...).

I suggest a metal detector
  • sterling_briggs93
    Options
    Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Not to sure
  • sterling_briggs93
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    can you spare some change?

Sorry only carry card
  • sterling_briggs93
    Options
    What is the answer?

Poptarts and pizza
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!