FitBit - Yes or No

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you want. I only need a simple step counter, but I love syncing everything through my iPhone. I love my FitBit Zip. It does all I want it to do.
  • cyamissy
    cyamissy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am glad i asked this question - I am new to this and wasn't sure if i would get alot of replies. Thank you everyone - I am heading out tonight to pick it up!!!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your needs are. Personally I don't need to know my sleep patterns, how many steps I take in a day, yada yada yada. Information overload. Evaluate what information would be useful to you and make a choice based upon that.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Depends on what your needs are. Personally I don't need to know my sleep patterns, how many steps I take in a day, yada yada yada. Information overload. Evaluate what information would be useful to you and make a choice based upon that.

I agree about the sleep patterns (unless you have a major sleep issue) but the steps seem like good information. I use the MFP app on my phone which tells me my step count which is generally less than 4000. I'm sure it's nowhere near accurate as I don't always have my phone in my pocket while I'm walking but it at least gives me a good idea and I can shoot for trying to move more.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    no because ive seen way too many people eating back calories they shouldnt and then complain and whine about not losing weight.

THIS. This is why I use it purely as a motivator to move around more, but I don't count that as exercise or follow the calorie burns.

Anna
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    no because ive seen way too many people eating back calories they shouldnt and then complain and whine about not losing weight.
    Very valid point.

• Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart and love it
    it syncs with my phone and my fitness Pal....but I never eat back those calories....it is just helpful to gauge how much i walk or if I need to move my butt more.
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one! It's very motivating! I use it in conjunction with my polar heart rate monitor. I do have to say that it underestimates my calories burned by about 250 a day. Despite that, I just take note of that when logging, I would recommend a fitbit! I agree with just going with the fitbit zip though. Really just tells you what you need to know, plus I'd say it's the best value. :smile:
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    I love love LOVE my Charge HR. Very accurate and motivates me to move my *kitten* more. Haha.

Technically, it only counts if you also move your WRIST more.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Flex. I like it but I think I should have gotten the bigger one. But I was too cheap to spend the money :) I don't find myself motivated to walk more but I notice that I am aware of how much I do move.
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge and love it. It does motivate me to move more.
    I have a Charge and it's alright. It doesn't have a HRM, which I don't think I need anyway.

Two complaints though...

One, some days, FtiBit and other tracking devices refuse to sync with MFP, which I think is a MFP issue, not a tracker issue.

Two, my FitBit always has a different distance than my treadmill. I set my workout for five miles on the treadmill to get my FitBit goal done. Treadmill says 5 miles. FitBit says 4.25. I'm not sure which one to believe. I don't know how to better calibrate either one. I don't mind doing the extra .75 mile to get my FitBit goal in, but dammit, I want it count everything so I can be at the top of my friends' list in the ranking!

@rugbyphreak you could measure and change your stride length on fitbit.com to make it match your treadmill.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I feel naked if I leave the house with out it. I have a few different hill walks I take for exercise, it's great that the One takes into consideration floors climbed and not just steps taken. I use MFP for my calorie count and Fitbit for my calorie burn.

It's super small so you can wear it on your bra, pant waist or in your pocket which is very convenient. A word of caution though, since the Fitbit One is so small, it's easy to forget about in your pocket. I washed my a few weeks back and almost washed it again last night! It survived the washing machine so that was cool, but I'd advise a designated spot to place it every evening. It's also easy to lose...(yes, I'm speaking from experience).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Interesting. I actually notice that the Fitbit One gives me less calories for a run than my HRM. If you have everything synced and set up correctly you shouldn't be getting inflated calorie counts.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge, Fitbit Charge HR and love them both. I checked the Charge against my Polar FT7 HRM and they're pretty close. Knowing that all of these devices are only guesstimates of actual calorie burn I would highly recommend them both and the Polar FT 7 HRM as well. They keep me aware of my daily activity and help me decide how active I choose to be for the day. Occasionally I do take a day off to crash and burn (I'm old, so . . .you know). With some sleeping issues in the past I really love the sleep monitor. It's very accurate for me and tracking my sleep patterns helps me to maintain my general health.

I use the Polar FT 7 at the gym and input that info into the Fitbit to replace steps for the time at the gym. It's working for me. I'm still losing weight on schedule and have actually lost a bit more than I anticipated because of attempting to hit at least 10,000 steps per day. They're great motivation.

• RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I say DEF yes. I LOVE my fitbit. I bought the Charge HR in March, and have kicked up my activity just b/c of it. I go to the gym in the evenings but now I even walk during lunch b/c I want to get in as many steps as possible. I aim for OVER 10000 steps/day. I highly recommend getting one.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Not saying yay or nay, but here's a short review by an MFP member on her experience with Fitbit: realbodiesrealresults.com/blog/fitbit-i-have-used-a-fitbit-product-almost-247
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex. It was a gift from a friend but have to say it was a pretty great gift. I really like it and would not hesitate to buy another one if something happens to mine.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My iPhone has a built in step counter, and i use either MFP or MMF to work out the calories burnt. I was thinking of getting a FitBit, but I usually carry my iPhone around in my pocket all day so maybe its not worth it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Interesting. I actually notice that the Fitbit One gives me less calories for a run than my HRM. If you have everything synced and set up correctly you shouldn't be getting inflated calorie counts.

I don't think its so much for deliberate exercise, but more for the ' cleaning the house and emptying the dishwasher' type stuff :/

you dont get a brownie for putting away the laundry. LOL
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and now i want a brownie! HA!