Vegan dinner party

Options
2»

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I was thinking about becoming a vegan myself. Not because I love animals though. I just really hate plants.
    Smash those damn tomato b-tards!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    If your guests are not vegan, then I wouldn't serve vegan food unless that's what they've asked for. If I (as an omnivore) were hosting a dinner party and only vegans were coming, then I would make vegan food.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight or anything 8)...but I don't understand this logic. If the host is a vegan, why would the food they cook not be vegan, too? I, as a vegetarian/wannabe vegan, expect omni hosts to make omni food when I go to their place for dinner...thus bring my own dish or eat a big meal beforehand so I can munch on what's available. Similarly, I would expect a vegan host to cook a vegan meal...and the omnivores to bring cheese or meat, if they so choose.

Like once, I had someone ask me if I would raise my (future) children as vegetarians...I said, of course! But they couldn't seem to grasp why I wouldn't cook them "normal" food, like chicken or beef. Why would I do that if I don't eat it myself, though?

(Again, not trying to be picky, just throwing out my two cents.)

In regards to the original topic...I like the taco bar idea. I've been making "copycat" chipotle burrito bowls at home lately and they're super yummy.

I don't know, I just think it's rude to expect people to have to bring all their own food when YOU are the one hosting the dinner party?
    sschwark wrote: »
    If your guests are not vegan, then I wouldn't serve vegan food unless that's what they've asked for. If I (as an omnivore) were hosting a dinner party and only vegans were coming, then I would make vegan food.

For many of us, being vegan isn't because we just don't feel like eating meat/animal products anymore; it strikes an ethical chord so why would that change just because people who don't share the same views are coming over? Under no circumstances would I ever purchase or prepare food with animal products/meat because it truly goes against everything I believe. Guests are more than welcome to bring whatever they want but shouldn't expect me to make food I wouldn't consume myself, ya know?

Similar to what pteryndactyl stated above, when I go to dinner parties hosted by people that consume those items, I tend to bring along my own dish (and they're always okay with it!) because I know that's the kind of food they consume.

I know what being a vegan is all about, but I think you kind of need to accept that other people aren't going to want to eat the same food as you? If they're going to have to bring their own meat anyway, then you might as well buy it yourself to save them the trouble since YOU are the one hosting. I host dinner parties a couple of times a year and I always make food that I wouldn't consume myself. I'm Jewish but I always buy and prepare pork for other people because I know the majority of people will want to eat that. Similarly, the majority of people going to a dinner party are not vegan or vegetarian. Don't you think it defeats the point of hosting a dinner party, when most of the guests will have to bring their own food anyway?

Clearly you don't know what being vegan is all about, at least for many vegans. It's a moral stance. I'm not going to compromise my deeply held ethical beliefs just so people will want to come eat at my house. What kind of person would do that?

Just curious, if you were hosting guests from a country that used dogs as food, and you know that they really enjoyed eating dog, and the majority of them would want to eat that, would you cook and serve a dog? If you went to the home of a hindu, would you expect them to make you a cheeseburger if that is what you felt like eating?

And for the record, my meat eating family and friends love my cooking, and when I moved away in January, several people remarked that they would be sad to miss my holiday dinners.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I'm really not trying to pick a fight or anything 8)...but I don't understand this logic. If the host is a vegan, why would the food they cook not be vegan, too? I, as a vegetarian/wannabe vegan, expect omni hosts to make omni food when I go to their place for dinner...thus bring my own dish or eat a big meal beforehand so I can munch on what's available. Similarly, I would expect a vegan host to cook a vegan meal...and the omnivores to bring cheese or meat, if they so choose.

Like once, I had someone ask me if I would raise my (future) children as vegetarians...I said, of course! But they couldn't seem to grasp why I wouldn't cook them "normal" food, like chicken or beef. Why would I do that if I don't eat it myself, though?

In regards to the original topic...I like the taco bar idea. I've been making "copycat" chipotle burrito bowls at home lately and they're super yummy.

I don't know, I just think it's rude to expect people to have to bring all their own food when YOU are the one hosting the dinner party?

Ah, okay, I see the confusion here. It seems you're thinking based on the assumption that they won't want *ANY* of the vegan food and thus wouldn't have anything to eat, and would have to bring a whole meal for themselves. I was thinking based on the assumption that there might be one side dish they don't like, or would prefer to add cheese to (e.g. tacos) and could simply bring a small bag of cheese to use.

I dunno, maybe I'm a bad host but if I invite my friends and family to my house...they know what to expect. They know what I eat. And as always, they're welcome to bring a dish to share, if they so choose...but by no means am I expecting them to prepare a full meat-based meal to bring to my dinner party. If they don't want my food, they don't have to come. It's not like vegan food is all kale and spelt and seitan. It does include normal things like pasta, or bread, or salad 8) You can have a nice Italian dinner quite easily without it being noticeably vegan.

I guess, though, if you invited an omni to your house for kale quinoa burgers with avocado fries and chia pudding...I could understand their hesitation!

It's probably because I don't like vegan food and actually can't eat most of it because of medical conditions. It's fine if they know what to expect (I really, really hope OP has told them that there will only be vegan food).
    But is it really asking to much for you, as the host, to buy a bag of cheese? Rather than expecting your guests to bring it? If I were invited to a vegan's dinner party I would probably just stay at home if they weren't going to do at least that. If I'm expected to make a dish for myself or buy food for myself then I might as well make it and then stay at home. I have vegan friends that I love very much and I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing them but I don't have to since they make all kinds of foods when they have parties.
    I... also don't like Italian food :disappointed: so that's a bit of a moot point.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone had any dinner party recipes for vegans?

I went vegan about a month ago, and agreed to host a dinner party at the start of June but I have no idea what to make for my carnivorous friends :P

Any recommendations are welcome!

I usually do Mexican food for casual dinners, and Italian for more formal occasions. I find a lot of great, dinner party worthy recipes on the Oh She Glows blog. The enchilada casserole is always a big hit.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    And there's this one....omg....yummm...http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-roasted-red-pepper-pasta-gf/

You could probably add some of the Gardein "chicken" to it that you sautee for a little bit.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

For many of us, being vegan isn't because we just don't feel like eating meat/animal products anymore; it strikes an ethical chord so why would that change just because people who don't share the same views are coming over? Under no circumstances would I ever purchase or prepare food with animal products/meat because it truly goes against everything I believe. Guests are more than welcome to bring whatever they want but shouldn't expect me to make food I wouldn't consume myself, ya know?

Similar to what pteryndactyl stated above, when I go to dinner parties hosted by people that consume those items, I tend to bring along my own dish (and they're always okay with it!) because I know that's the kind of food they consume.

I know what being a vegan is all about, but I think you kind of need to accept that other people aren't going to want to eat the same food as you? If they're going to have to bring their own meat anyway, then you might as well buy it yourself to save them the trouble since YOU are the one hosting. I host dinner parties a couple of times a year and I always make food that I wouldn't consume myself. I'm Jewish but I always buy and prepare pork for other people because I know the majority of people will want to eat that. Similarly, the majority of people going to a dinner party are not vegan or vegetarian. Don't you think it defeats the point of hosting a dinner party, when most of the guests will have to bring their own food anyway?

Clearly you don't know what being vegan is all about, at least for many vegans. It's a moral stance. I'm not going to compromise my deeply held ethical beliefs just so people will want to come eat at my house. What kind of person would do that?

Just curious, if you were hosting guests from a country that used dogs as food, and you know that they really enjoyed eating dog, and the majority of them would want to eat that, would you cook and serve a dog? If you went to the home of a hindu, would you expect them to make you a cheeseburger if that is what you felt like eating?

And for the record, my meat eating family and friends love my cooking, and when I moved away in January, several people remarked that they would be sad to miss my holiday dinners.

No need to be rude.
    I KNOW it's a moral stance, not just a diet. I KNOW you don't wear leather, or anything like that. But like I already said, I compromise my deeply held religious beliefs when I host a dinner party because I believe in being a good host who provides for everyone, not just my fellow Jewish friends.
    No, I would not do that, because it is illegal to do that where I live. However, if I lived in a country where it wasn't illegal to cook and eat dog, and there was a place that I could go to get it affordably, and almost all of my guests wanted it, then yes, I would do that. However that's kind of a moot point because even in countries where dog is eaten, it's not eaten often and many of them don't eat it. It's not about what I 'feel like eating' because beef is only one dish. Meat is a much bigger spectrum and many omnivores, which make up most of the world, would expect to have meat with most meals. Hindus eat other meats. Off topic but just an interesting story - my dad worked in India for a long time and when he brought his Hindu Indian friends back to the UK, they ate beef. When he asked why, they said that it didn't count outside of India, haha.
  • amzypritchard
    amzypritchard Posts: 44 Member
    Options

My friends want to try a complete vegan meal, which is why I asked for vegan ideas.
  • amzypritchard
    amzypritchard Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank to everyone who replied! I'll check out everything you've said! :smile:
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options

No need to be rude.
    I KNOW it's a moral stance, not just a diet. I KNOW you don't wear leather, or anything like that. But like I already said, I compromise my deeply held religious beliefs when I host a dinner party because I believe in being a good host who provides for everyone, not just my fellow Jewish friends.
    No, I would not do that, because it is illegal to do that where I live. However, if I lived in a country where it wasn't illegal to cook and eat dog, and there was a place that I could go to get it affordably, and almost all of my guests wanted it, then yes, I would do that. However that's kind of a moot point because even in countries where dog is eaten, it's not eaten often and many of them don't eat it. It's not about what I 'feel like eating' because beef is only one dish. Meat is a much bigger spectrum and many omnivores, which make up most of the world, would expect to have meat with most meals. Hindus eat other meats. Off topic but just an interesting story - my dad worked in India for a long time and when he brought his Hindu Indian friends back to the UK, they ate beef. When he asked why, they said that it didn't count outside of India, haha.

I wasn't trying to be rude. My point was that the idea of eating any animal is abhorrent and repulsive to me, and usually the dog analogy is an apt comparison because that is how most Americans would feel about eating a dog.

Ok, rereading it, it came off pretty harsh, and I do apologize for the tone. I just get very upset because I am passionate about the subject, especially having grown up near a lot of poultry farms. I wasn't referring to you when I said what I said about compromising my ethics, because I assume that there is nothing in your religion against serving other people pork.

I believe eating meat is wrong, and industry practices in the livestock business are horrific, and I won't help anyone contribute to that industry. What people choose to do in their own homes is their business, but I draw the line at my own front door.

(I edited that 3 or 4 times to make it less rant-y, but that's about as diplomatic as I can get right now. I apologize if I have offended anyone. I honestly wasn't trying to)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If not tacos - I would go for an non-traditional filling like grilled zucchini and charred corn with roasted peppers so you eliminate the need for sour cream and cheese.

Or, something like these seem like they'd be pleasing to vegans and non vegans:
    [url=http://food52.com/recipes/18440-penne-with-sweet-summer-vegetables-pine-nuts-and-herbs?conditions[method]=get&page=1]Penne with Veggies[/url]

food52_07-24-12-7723.jpg?1403269177

Pesto Pizza
    vegan+pesto+pizza+recipe.JPG

Vegan Risotto or an Asian stir fry or noodle dish or an Indian meal with dal or curry, roti/naan, and rice.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I make veggie noodles for my vegan friends.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Ah, okay, I see the confusion here. It seems you're thinking based on the assumption that they won't want *ANY* of the vegan food and thus wouldn't have anything to eat, and would have to bring a whole meal for themselves. I was thinking based on the assumption that there might be one side dish they don't like, or would prefer to add cheese to (e.g. tacos) and could simply bring a small bag of cheese to use.

I dunno, maybe I'm a bad host but if I invite my friends and family to my house...they know what to expect. They know what I eat. And as always, they're welcome to bring a dish to share, if they so choose...but by no means am I expecting them to prepare a full meat-based meal to bring to my dinner party. If they don't want my food, they don't have to come. It's not like vegan food is all kale and spelt and seitan. It does include normal things like pasta, or bread, or salad 8) You can have a nice Italian dinner quite easily without it being noticeably vegan.

I guess, though, if you invited an omni to your house for kale quinoa burgers with avocado fries and chia pudding...I could understand their hesitation!

It's probably because I don't like vegan food and actually can't eat most of it because of medical conditions. It's fine if they know what to expect (I really, really hope OP has told them that there will only be vegan food).
    But is it really asking to much for you, as the host, to buy a bag of cheese? Rather than expecting your guests to bring it? If I were invited to a vegan's dinner party I would probably just stay at home if they weren't going to do at least that. If I'm expected to make a dish for myself or buy food for myself then I might as well make it and then stay at home. I have vegan friends that I love very much and I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing them but I don't have to since they make all kinds of foods when they have parties.
    I... also don't like Italian food :disappointed: so that's a bit of a moot point.

ETA: It looks like MakePeasNotWar responded exactly the way I did. Suppose I should read the entire thread before responding (:
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Now this statement just makes me sad. IMO the most important part of these gatherings is friendship and enjoying the company. Yes, sometimes it's awkward when I can't eat what everyone else is eating, but I'd rather go and bring something to share, or eat beforehand, than miss out on the fun.

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am a meat eater (and grew up on a farm, meat was part of every meal), but I eat many meatless meals now. The meals that I don't miss the meat at all are ones full of a lot of flavor, usually something Asian, like curry, stirfry, stews (just had a chickpea & kale stew last night, so good!) If you really want to impress them, and you are up for the challenge, do homemade pasta or gnocchi, they will be so impressed the meat won't be missed! (Although I use egg in my pasta dough, google has a lot of vegan recipes available that look pretty decent) I've recently made an arugula gnocchi with a tomato/basil sauce, it was delicious!

Edit to add, other foods that they might enjoy that I've made are lentil bolognese, pad Thai, vegetable minestrone, veg. chili, lentil or chickpea curry