How do you count calories for a homemade casserole?

One of my stock dinners is a "casserole" made out of diced peppers & onions, garlic, steak, potatoes, and pepperoni. As the subject line says, how do I figure out how many calories are in a serving?

Replies

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited May 2015
    Add all ingredients and amounts into the recipe builder (option to "Enter Manually" is below the paste link box).
    Divide by number of servings in the recipe total weight/your weighed out portion... this can get tricky if you don't have a good scale. I don't have said 'good scale', but eyeballing still gets me a reasonably accurate guess.

Also... sounds freaking delicious.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Use the recipe calculator...weighing and measuring as you add the foods.

After cooking weight the entire casserole (minus the weight of the casserole dish) then divide the weight by the number of servings.

The recipe calculator will tell you how many calories per serving.

I usually base my serving sizes on 100g. Example...if my cooked product weights 1000g...then I use 10 servings in my calculator. The when I add to my food diary I just enter the number of grams that I ate.
  • RuefulRabbit
    RuefulRabbit Posts: 42 Member
    I will give it a try. It is sounding like a food scale might not be a bad investment.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    The recipe builder is a great tool and once you put all your ingredients in and how many servings you get out of the dish, it will tell you the total number of calories/serving.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    For now you can just add in the recipe builder - 1 large onion, 1 bell pepper, 4 cloves of garlic, 1lb of steak, etc and it will be a rough estimate based on the number of servings.
    Food scales are about $15 and are amazing!
  • CrabCatcher
    CrabCatcher Posts: 30 Member
    the recipe tool on MFP is great. Just account for all the ingredients and figure out how many servings are in the casserole.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    I don't understand why you need a scale to weigh the whole thing. If you add in the individual ingredients you just need to divide by the number of servings.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    I don't understand why you need a scale to weigh the whole thing. If you add in the individual ingredients you just need to divide by the number of servings.

Because then you can really only long that specific serving size or rough percentages thereof. If you record the weight as the number of servings then you can weigh the portion you take and log that as the number of servings. It gives you a lot more freedom in serving size while remaining mostly accurate.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    kristydi wrote: »
    LadyFencer wrote: »

Because then you can really only long that specific serving size or rough percentages thereof. If you record the weight as the number of servings then you can weigh the portion you take and log that as the number of servings. It gives you a lot more freedom in serving size while remaining mostly accurate.

Got it. Thanks. Personally I don't need to be that accurate.