Options

Replies

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    For the record, thanks to this thread, I just had a PB&J for dessert.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    "Most people"?! Really? Lots of people here (and all over the place) are losing weight. From what I've read here, those who gained weight likely put on quite a bit more than that in one year.

More details, OP? Not sure of the point.

I think that 1 to 2 lbs is probably for people who are at their "set weight." Most people who have lost weight gain it back in 2 to 3 years, so they, obviously, would be gaining more than 1 to 2 lbs per year.

I just thought it was interesting that people maintain their current weight so precisely.

So...you basically just made that "statistic" up?

It's a fact that 85% of all statistic found on the internet are made up on the spot.

-Abraham Lincoln

made me laugh out loud :smiley:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Apparently people gain about a lb/year, but it's specifically over the winter holidays: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=retrieve&list_uids=10727591&dopt=AbstractPlus

People who are already overweight gain more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=11206847&ordinalpos=15&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I don't think I've done the "weight creep up" thing, though--when I've gained it's been pretty rapidly.

I just wanted to argue that it's probably more along the lines of "around maintenance most of the time with occasional 1000-2000 surpluses on special occasions." and then you go and post evidence of that. Meanie.

That makes it even more interesting. It seems impossible enough that people would be able to eat at maintenance calories within 10 to 20 calories per day, but to stay even closer than that, were it not for the holidays...

They don't, they go over by some some days, under by some some other days. It evens out. And then the holidays come.

True, but that "it evens out" is what makes it interesting, when you consider that these people aren't tracking how much they eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Apparently people gain about a lb/year, but it's specifically over the winter holidays: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=retrieve&list_uids=10727591&dopt=AbstractPlus

People who are already overweight gain more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=11206847&ordinalpos=15&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I don't think I've done the "weight creep up" thing, though--when I've gained it's been pretty rapidly.

I just wanted to argue that it's probably more along the lines of "around maintenance most of the time with occasional 1000-2000 surpluses on special occasions." and then you go and post evidence of that. Meanie.

That makes it even more interesting. It seems impossible enough that people would be able to eat at maintenance calories within 10 to 20 calories per day, but to stay even closer than that, were it not for the holidays...

They don't, they go over by some some days, under by some some other days. It evens out. And then the holidays come.

Wonder how much modern holiday weight gain can be attributed to Amazon. Figure people used to be more active when they had to actually go from store to store to buy everything.

I love this. It's not sugar; it's amazon!

Although amazon's rise may actually correspond with the flattening out of the rise in the obesity rate, in the US anyway. Maybe before people were stress eating due to the horrors of crowded shopping malls.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Wonder how much modern holiday weight gain can be attributed to Amazon. Figure people used to be more active when they had to actually go from store to store to buy everything.

But I use the time I save to go on a bike ride, or hike, or swim, or do something fabulously active!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't know what they put in peanut butter in America?! You guys seem obsessed with it.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I don't know what they put in peanut butter in America?! You guys seem obsessed with it.

My dad puts peanut butter on everything. Like, everything, including tuna sandwiches. He is from Canada. Therefore, peanut butter rules. Bam.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    and?...what your point??
  • dmiivanov
    dmiivanov Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    An average person may very well be even undereating those 10 or 100 or even 250 calories on a typical day... But when it comes to going out, or even better, holidays... ;)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    All this talk of peanut butter has me like

Dogs-Eating-Peanut-butter-12.gif
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    All this talk of peanut butter has me like

Dogs-Eating-Peanut-butter-12.gif

SO much love for this.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever grilled a PB&J? Like, in the same way as a grilled cheese? Stuff that dreams are made of.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Most people gain 1 to 2lbs per year. That means that, on average, people overeat by only 10 to 20 calories per day. For those of you who like to weigh stuff, that is between 1.7 and 3.4 grams of peanut butter per day.

actually
    Adults tend to gain weight progressively through middle age. Although the average weight gain is 0.5 to 1 kg per year, this modest accumulation of weight can lead to obesity over time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23638485

and over 30 years that is 30-60lbs...so we are actually saving ourselves...we are being preventative instead of reactive.

and this stat only applies to those who aren't logging accurately with a food scale...cause those of us who use a food scale won't be gaining that weight...but you will.

Mind-Blown-Kramer.gif
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter? Can chocolate please get involved here somewhere?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Most people gain 1 to 2lbs per year. That means that, on average, people overeat by only 10 to 20 calories per day. For those of you who like to weigh stuff, that is between 1.7 and 3.4 grams of peanut butter per day.
    Not sure if weight gain or weight loss is that linear...

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    minkky wrote: »
    Peanut butter? Can chocolate please get involved here somewhere?

aavjsi9249ye.jpg

Reeses peanut butter cup chocolate brownie bottomed cheese cake...
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! why did you do that?

starts crying there goes my deficit for today
  • lectric102002
    lectric102002 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was going to eat my banana plain. Time for a Jif-Nana !