I don't diet and exercise, I eat and train.

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
I see this written a lot, but honestly, it's semantics, and kind of stupid. Aren't they the same thing? Eating is dieting. Some peoples diets consist of no goal and getting fat. Some peoples diet consists of junk food. But, everyone is 'on a diet' all day, everyday, their entire lives. So, I don't get it.

Anyway, what really bothers me is I read an article by a fairly well respected dude that runs a site, and he put down people that eat at a deficit and exercise. He insinuated that badasses just eat food and train hard. They don't eat in deficits to lose fat.

I had to do a double-take on the article. I usually like them, but they are a little lame sometimes, and this was on of those times. I have also heard other big lifters say something to this effect.

Can someone enlighten me why wanting to lower body fat is something to be mocked? I honestly don't understand why these people, who are very ripped and can lift a house, would mock people trying to lose body fat and look good while lifting heavy.

Maybe I'm missing something. So, if anyone feels the same way, please fill me in on the details. Is it the vanity aspect of it that they think is stupid? If so, why do they do it?

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If they are big and ripped than at some point they exercised while eating at a deficit. They're just too stupid to know it
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ditto
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above.
    Although I do prefer "eat and train" over "diet and exercise" for some reason. I guess because eating and training sound like fun while dieting and exercising sounds like a real drag.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    If they are big and ripped than at some point they exercised while eating at a deficit. They're just too stupid to know it

This.

Ask any bodybuilder how they got big? They'll say eat and lift. Ask any bodybuilder how they got ripped? They cut something chronic whilst training.

A lot of places will simply state 'eat clean and train and all will sort itself out' and whilst maybe in the long-term that may have some truth in it, but if you're not tracking calories you could just eat clean but eat LOADS and still fail.

Whenever I see stuff like this, all I think is track calories in vs. out. Because:

Here+you+go+_ca6c4a03ef2f5b03eba2ff483cca483f.jpg
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider it to be dieting. I feel better about it as changing my diet and eating smart. I add exercise in to help me feel good.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I say dieting when I'm trying to lose weight because it's faster than "cutting calories" or "eating at a deficit." I think I mostly say exercise or working out instead of training. If I was preparing for something like a race I might say training. But I'm just in it for health and vanity at this point.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I think it's a semantic approach meant to show that they are coming from a proactive angle by eating and training vs perhaps a perceived reactive angle of needing to diet and exercise to counter weight gain and health issues. It's purely motivational.

**not defending it. I just think that's where it comes from. I think it's silly.